dgkfit

What to make?

Hello,

Thank you all for your help in the past.  I have a Cobra Class 4 with all the premium accessories.  I have been using it to sew nylon fabric to make exercise gear for almost 3 years now.   I am probably going to end that business soon.   The machine is paid for by sales.  I need to decide what to make with it now.  Let's assume that it will be made of leather.   But I don't know what to make with it.  Even tho I am from Texas, I don't think another saddle / tack maker is needed.  And, I don't speak the "language" of those who use that stuff.  I am thinking about shearling vests, making one or more for myself, and seeing how that goes.   Also, I am thinking about making dog beds.  But back to the leather.   Where can I get both ideas and instruction on how to do leatherwork?

Thank you

Dale   Workout Sandbags

A pull harnes for your husky? They love to pull and run... 

I made one for one of my dogs years ago, she wasn’t a husky, but she loved it. If I pulled it out she was right there!

Search YouTube for 'leather', 'leatherwork', & leathercraft'. There are loads of videos and ideas, including pants. dress/skirt, jacket, gloves, bags, tool roll, and so on

Once I found videos of a lady who unpicks old jackets made of leather, waxed cotton, canvas & similar heavy materials, and turns them into bags. Search YT for 'making bags from old clothes', and 'making bags from old leather jacket'.

Edited by zuludog

12 hours ago, ScoobyNewbie said:

A pull harnes for your husky? They love to pull and run... 

I made one for one of my dogs years ago, she wasn’t a husky, but she loved it. If I pulled it out she was right there!

ScoobyNewbie  Interesting.  Can you post a picture of it and your dog with what she is pulling.   I hadn't heard of this and it sounds interesting.  I have 3 young male dogs with lots of energy.

It sounds like you are onto what you want to make already. Give those vests a go and see if you like it. If they don't fit your desires, try something else. I chose wallets and made a bunch of them and now they are second nature and turn out beautiful when I keep out of my own way.

Here is a link to another thread- a lot of good info here!

Lots of heads up info there... My suggestion is to look at your current expertise in nylon and the Sandbags and try to mix it up- I have seen some awesome custom leatherwork with a 1000 denier panel in a flex point (underarm panel) with venting- Its entirely up to you!

Welcome from another newbie to leather! Hope all is well and enjoy the days!

Silver

I didn’t take a picture.

It was 20 years ago, and I didn’t want to carry my 5 year old and my 2 year old around on my 6 mile hike. I took an old radio flyer, attached a yoke onto the handle so it wouldn’t hit her on the butt. The yoke was about a foot across and had 2-2 1/2? 3 foot arms to hook her plain old dog harness to. They secured with horse clips. Then I just held a short leash attached to her harness and away we went. 

Sometimes too fast for fat ol’  me! Terrier mixes travel!

i also made a mosquito cover so the babies didn’t get eaten. I had an old baby carriage cover that the material was rotten on, took it off and added netting. It worked very well as long as I sprayed it down with Repel. 

‘I really just adapted a design for old dog carts. You can buy them new. But I’m cheap. And crafty. 

‘Dogs can pull up to and sometimes quite a bit more than 3 times their own weight. Sweetpea was a rat terrier/Brittany spaniel mix. She weighed around 45 lbs. She was the best girl in the world, and my now 17 year old still misses her. She could easily run with the wagon, my 5 and 2 year old and a niece that was probably 100-120 lbs. Just took off. Lol. Stayed on the sidewalk. She only stopped because my youngest started crying. 

Best girl ever.