YinTx

Trying My Hand at an F.O. Baird Pattern

Not as straight forward as it might initially seem, so I had to make a second go at it to get it to be presentable.  3 oz Hermann Oak leather, about 3".   Ignore the slip of the modeling spoon.  Tried to rub it out, no luck.  :ranting2:

YinTx

FOBairdOval3LoRes.thumb.jpg.30dca05e9ff8118d67bc729645eddf3e.jpg

Maybe you can do a design around the outside to cover it up? I think is a great job.

good job, I like how you did the decorative cuts on the pedals.

20 hours ago, ScoobyNewbie said:

Maybe you can do a design around the outside to cover it up? I think is a great job.

I'm hoping a stitch line will cover it up, if not, no big deal, I intend to use it as a tooling weight bag decoration.

9 hours ago, bdpeters said:

good job, I like how you did the decorative cuts on the pedals.

Thanks, I'm usually making wreckerative cuts, so slowly but surely improving on them.  Long ways to go though. :)

YinTx

I'm sure a few choice words were said on that.  Other than that it looks good.

You are using your pear shader backwards on the petals. The fat part of the shader should go at the top of the petal, and the skinny part at the bottom. You bevel heaviest at the top, then gradually walk the shader towards the center of the flower.

That was the very first thing our instructor taught us about using a pear shader...

Edited by Sheilajeanne

Looks pretty good Yin, I am really diggin' your carving as of late sir!

@Sheilajeanne, great tip, I for one will keep that in mind next flower I botch ;) 

3 hours ago, Sheilajeanne said:

You are using your pear shader backwards on the petals.

Yeah, I did the first version like you suggested, it did not come out well at all, and I fussed with it until it was a disaster.  I think the illusion on this flower is it "sinks" into the center of the flower, and I think it came out looking better when I did it this way around.  If you look at F.O. Baird's image, there is pretty much no shading on the petals.  Just another of those things I had to rethink in order to tool his design.  I'll put a comparison photo of the two pieces now that I've antiqued em both.  Probably a personal preference on this flower.

4 hours ago, rodneywt1180b said:

I'm sure a few choice words were said on that.  Other than that it looks good.

Thank you sir!

3 hours ago, battlemunky said:

Looks pretty good Yin, I am really diggin' your carving as of late sir!

Glad you like em!  I keep tryin to get better each time...

First version on 7.5 oz Hermann Oak leather:

BairdOvalV1LoRes.thumb.jpg.a826c5d302b69454789821e746f6a219.jpg

Second version on 3 oz Hermann Oak leather:

(I think I got the front petals better than the rear.. but)

FOBairdOvalDoneLoRes.thumb.jpg.81093cc31030afd3fb9a03d961e2542a.jpg

I think that one there is perfect, and the other one is ... even better!

Thanks!  I am glad you see an improvement. :)

YinTx

Wonderful depth. The layering of the leaves really makes the flower stand out. Nice!

15 hours ago, JazzBass said:

Wonderful depth. The layering of the leaves really makes the flower stand out. Nice!

Thank you.  That was a bit of a challenge on the thin leather, I think it did ok!

YinTx

Sheilajeanne, your instructor was wrong. Pear shaders (thumbprints)can be utilized either way. If you would look at the cover of the latest "Leather Crafters" journal, you will see a piece tooled Bobby Park (Hidepounder) on which every flower is treated the way Yin Tx did.  It just all depends on the effect you want

Terry

Edited by terrymac

On 1/20/2019 at 5:15 PM, terrymac said:

Sheilajeanne, your instructor was wrong. Pear shaders (thumbprints)can be utilized either way. If you would look at the cover of the latest "Leather Crafters" journal, you will see a piece tooled Bobby Park (Hidepounder) on which every flower is treated the way Yin Tx did.  It just all depends on the effect you want

Terry

This.  I toyed with using it the "normal" way, but it didn't fit the Baird flower very well, so I turned it, and got the effect I was looking for.   I am no expert and still learning, but sometimes ya gotta do what works best for ya and hope for the best!  Doesn't always work out so well tho...

YinTx