GeneH

Inexpensive awl? Kyoshin-Elle, Vergez Blanchard, Springfield Leather,LeatherCraftTools? 

I find it splits quicker than real....

Hang on a minute, that means I would have to replace it more often, so I would need more bottles opened. I like your thinking.

Awl Stands.jpg

Edited by hwinbermuda

11 minutes ago, immiketoo said:

What's wrong with faux cork?

Some of the composition or synthetic corks might be a bit too hard and blunt the awl, so the safest way is to stick with genuine cork

Of course, you will only find out which you've got when you've opened a bottle.......

1 minute ago, hwinbermuda said:

I find it splits quicker than real....

Hang on a minute, that means I would have to replace it more often, so I would need more bottles opened. I like your thinking.

See?  Silver lining!

1 minute ago, zuludog said:

Some of the composition or synthetic corks might be a bit too hard and blunt the awl, so the safest way is to stick with genuine cork

Of course, you will only find out which you've got when you've opened a bottle.......

Guess I'll have to start buying better wine...:P

9 hours ago, hwinbermuda said:

...did you know that good quality single malt whiskey has a cork glued to plastic, 'awl stand' or 'needle cushion' in its neck?

I *am not* going to use the cork from my 18 yr Macallan as an awl stand... just sayin'.   ;)

That's enough votes for Vergez Blanchard so I'll go that route and a couple sizes JJ needles, just have to pick out shop to buy both from. Last night I penciled in the pattern for this first tooled hatchet sheath. Kinda anxious now to get started. The previous 2 sheaths I used my drill press and would like the looks of more traditional stitching just a little better, especially with thin leather over a plastic or wood core.

addendum: I have a scratch awl if I can find it, compass, and a divider so I should be good to for for the moment.

Edited by GeneH
addendum