SheltathaLore

Welp. Now I need ("need") a post-bed for fashion shoes.

Looks like my options are, in order of cost:

- Singer 51 clone, bottom feed (Artisan 5110, Cobra 5110, etc)
- ???? clone, bottom and driven roller feed (Artisan 4618, Highlead 24618, etc)
- Pfaff 591 clone, bottom and driven roller feed (Cobra 8110, Cowboy 8810, etc)

The 4618 machines are several hundred dollars less expensive, on average, than the 591 clones - which is appealing, but since you generally get what you pay for, I'm wondering if I'm overlooking something.  Do any of you have an opinion?

Upper and lower feed (gear driven roller foot) post machines are usually better for thicker materials but not always necessary - what kind of leather are you using and how thick is it?

Vintage post bed machines like Singer 51w, Singer 236G and the like often have a rather short stitch length of approx 8 SPI max. Just wanted to have it mentioned in case vintage machines are an option.

I know they are as rare as hen's teeth, but see if you can locate a Singer 168G101 7" post machine. These are compound feed walking foot machines that use the same feet, bobbins and needles (and tension unit) as a Singer 111w155. The stitch length adjustment is totally different than on any other Singer machine in the shop. It is done by turning a spring loaded screw that's accessible under the top rear cover plate. I am able to get better than 4 to the inch at the longest and too short to talk about at the other end. Expect to pay about $1400 to $1500, complete with a table with a servo motor (plus shipping or gas to pick it up).

If you find one, buy some spring edge guide feet. Or pay the dealer to install a drop down edge guide. There is no room on the post to add a standard guide.

Wiz: I specifically want a roller foot for this, but I will keep that model in mind if I find myself in need of a post bed. 

The original singers are pretty awesome, but unfortunately, it's hard to tell if a random machine on the internet is a boat anchor that was run 80 hours a week for 50 years in a factory - so I'm probably going to stick to the new clones. 

Have you checked with C.H.Holderby?  They are up on 12th Ave.  I know they carry new, but they also have a stash of used sewing machines.  They don't list their used inventory, but it can't hurt to call.  206 622 6646

To go along with the the Singer 236 suggestion, look into the 136 as well. It's a bottom feed roller foot machine like the 51 but a little more heavy duty. It is limited to a high SPI and the needles are hard to find. I usually sew two layers of 5oz and have done up to three layers of 4oz in a pinch. I picked mine up from a moto gear shop for $400 which seems like a decent price, it's just that they don't pop up so often.

I decided to buy a new clone from Gregg.  I've been keeping an eye on ebay and craigslist and the forums here for quite a while now, hoping for one of the old Singers, but very few machines surfaced that would actually save me money over buying a new one, and of course I'd always be taking a risk on an ebay machine being completely worn out or getting broken in shipping.

I can't wait for it to get here!

1 hour ago, SheltathaLore said:

I decided to buy a new clone from Gregg.  I've been keeping an eye on ebay and craigslist and the forums here for quite a while now, hoping for one of the old Singers, but very few machines surfaced that would actually save me money over buying a new one, and of course I'd always be taking a risk on an ebay machine being completely worn out or getting broken in shipping.

I can't wait for it to get here!

Not only do you have to worry about damage during shipping from eBay sellers, but also the level of assistance the seller will give to you after the sale. Some will and some won't and others don't speak English as a first or even second language.