Elvis

Finishings and procedures

Hey everybody! 

I’m q big fan of the Japanese’s leathercraft work. Today I saw a video of a guy and as in doubt about some finishing that they use and some stuff. If somebody can help me, this is the video:

my questions are:

1 - first of all. What kind of leather is that? I don’t know if he apply the color/finishings before and then cut or is this a cordovan?

2- at 2:00 on the video. What kind of machine is that and why it makes?

3- at 21:15 on the video. What kind of finishing he use to make the borders SO shine?

thank you guys!

Not sure of the leather type - looks like veg tan that he dyed

That machine is a skiving machine - taper thins leather at the edges to make a thinner joint where they are sewn together.

The edges are sanded and burnished and they look really good!  He may have used wax on the edges for the final burnish.

Gary

24 minutes ago, garypl said:

Not sure of the leather type - looks like veg tan that he dyed

That machine is a skiving machine - taper thins leather at the edges to make a thinner joint where they are sewn together.

The edges are sanded and burnished and they look really good!  He may have used wax on the edges for the final burnish.

Gary

Thanks Gary!

yes, I think it’s a veg tan because of the size. I’m not sure but I never saw a huge piece of cordovan. 

This part of the edges is that o don’t know. I always use wax on the edges. But he use something really smooth as you can see on this another video (3:20). And don’t looks like tragacanth 

But anyway. He does an awesome work. 

My favorite is a guy called daisuke uchimura. 

At 4:25, what is that tool and what is he doing with it?

44 minutes ago, Sheilajeanne said:

Looks like he is skiving the edges with a sharp chisel?

52 minutes ago, Elvis said:

Thanks Gary!

yes, I think it’s a veg tan because of the size. I’m not sure but I never saw a huge piece of cordovan. 

This part of the edges is that o don’t know. I always use wax on the edges. But he use something really smooth as you can see on this another video (3:20). And don’t looks like tragacanth

Not sure what he is using - looks too watery to be wax.  There are so many commercial and homemade concoctions!  I like to use glycerin bar saddle soap to burnish.  Search in the “How To” forum here - many articles on burnishing.

Gary

4 hours ago, Sheilajeanne said:

I think he is using a sharp chisel to scrape the surface of the leather to make it rough for better glue adhesion.

If he is using some kind of oiled leather it makes sense to scrape the surface oils.

18 hours ago, Sheilajeanne said:

It looks like a longer version of a 'rabbiting* chisel' and he's using it in the way it should be used; to scrape away a thin layer of the surface

*Rabbiting is the old name for 'rebate'. In wood work one used a rabbiting plane to shave down a groove in a piece of wood. The groove or shelf formed was to fit a panel flush. Look at the cross section of a picture frame; where the glass and back fit is the rebate. After using the rabbit plane one used a rabbiting chisel to go along the groove/shelf to even it up. If one did the rabbiting well the chisel only took off tiny scrapings.

As the others have rightly pointed out he's removing some surface finish for adhesive, but it looks like he's actually skiving it a bit too