OnePivot

Have you guys considered trimming down?

I'm on some other forums for other hobbies, but internet wide even the biggest and strongest forums are noticing a huge dropoff in traffic in recent years. I love the forum format for clubs and information sharing, so this trend feels like a loss to me and some other people. Those trying to keep it going seem to be trimming down their forums, and it often seems to work. 

There is a LOT of subforums here. Like a crazy amount, with some stuff so niche that it seems to spread the place thin more than add value. I mean "Show off!", "member gallery" and "critique my work" are all basically the same thing, right? Many other subforums can be condensed. 

It can take a LOT of time to read through everything, so I just don't. I know im missing conversations that either I could learn from, or contribute to, but theres just so, so, so much to sort through. Many people post in the wrong place, so searching isnt intuitive. 

While some things, like saddlery and holster making are fairly specific, they still share techniques and tricks that can be widely applied across any leather project. I do a lot of wallets and occasional bags, but I learned edging and stitching from holster making first. I think the newer member whos into making wallets isnt going to find the resources he or she needs in our wallet subforum. Its too niche in focus, but the skills involved are pretty broad!

Just an idea. It easily could increase participation from the existing traffic, which may over time drive in more traffic. 

Edited by OnePivot

TRIMMING DOWN?  Hey, I know I got carried away on Turkey Day (again) but I still fit these 34 jeans jus fine, thank you :banana:

Kinda like multi purpose! Pliers, cresent wrench and club cab come to mind. 

This choice would seriously limit a Christmas list. ? So Im staying the canoe rather than the pontoon boat for the moment. :) At least till I see gifts 

Possibly having a forum visit schedule, this could rustle up a post or two.

Likely if I ask some questions it may get a wha?

Just as I think it does anyway :lol:

Good day

Floyd

8 hours ago, OnePivot said:

I'm on some other forums for other hobbies, but internet wide even the biggest and strongest forums are noticing a huge dropoff in traffic in recent years. I love the forum format for clubs and information sharing, so this trend feels like a loss to me and some other people. Those trying to keep it going seem to be trimming down their forums, and it often seems to work. 

There is a LOT of subforums here. Like a crazy amount, with some stuff so niche that it seems to spread the place thin more than add value. I mean "Show off!", "member gallery" and "critique my work" are all basically the same thing, right? Many other subforums can be condensed. 

It can take a LOT of time to read through everything, so I just don't. I know im missing conversations that either I could learn from, or contribute to, but theres just so, so, so much to sort through. Many people post in the wrong place, so searching isnt intuitive. 

While some things, like saddlery and holster making are fairly specific, they still share techniques and tricks that can be widely applied across any leather project. I do a lot of wallets and occasional bags, but I learned edging and stitching from holster making first. I think the newer member whos into making wallets isnt going to find the resources he or she needs in our wallet subforum. Its too niche in focus, but the skills involved are pretty broad!

Just an idea. It easily could increase participation from the existing traffic, which may over time drive in more traffic. 

Is that not what the topic bar is for to show all the new posts at a glance or click unread content

mmmm, Topic bar, I might have one with my coffee later

I keep four windows open. One for 'Unread Content' and one for 'All Activity', Two for 'How do I do that' - one working from the 1st page and one working from the oldest posting to the newest. Thats about all I need, anymore I just use the search function.

This site is really not as bad as another I'm on where there are over 23,000 members, a lot of whom post similar questions within days of each other, post in the wrong section . . . .

I have only ever gone in on all topics, and search for subjects that I want to read, or follow up.

For UK members, from the 1970s advert...

What's got a hazelnut in every bite? Topic (bar)

or as we used to say squirrel poop

H

Maybe its just me. I intentionally don't use the all topics bar, I'm not too interested in all topics, honestly. 

Less ultra specialization seems to bring more participation in general, but it sounds like my opinion isn't shared. Carry on!