Finished up this  bag used heavy Waxed Canvas 18 oz with 8 to 10 oz English Bridle. The leather on the bag is 5 to 6 oz.

IMG_2454.jpg

IMG_2458.jpg

Very cool

Looks awesome. I love waxed canvas.

Sharp looking bag!

Looking great, waxed canvas just difficult to get hold of

Excellent design - I like how you fixed the straps for the handle to the sides. Is the handle one long strap? Looks like it. Great bag for a laptop... And as Wreford said - the waxed canvas is just difficult to get hold of, at least locally.

This is a beautiful bag- Thank you for sharing! Inspiration for me

You have come a long way in a short time. Great job. The bag looks really professional.

Just now, Aven said:

Aye, Springfield carries Martexin, but at about twice the cost as Fairfield Textile.  And Fairfield has more color options.

It really pays to comparison shop sometimes.

Fully agree, but also its good to support sponsors if you can. I am in the UK and we have other sources of waxed canvas.

Harry

7 minutes ago, hwinbermuda said:

Fully agree, but also its good to support sponsors if you can. I am in the UK and we have other sources of waxed canvas.

Harry

I completely agree with supporting our sponsors.   And I get that it isn't something that you would expect them to carry.  They are doing us a favor by carrying it and I expect it to be a bit more expensive.  But its not just a bit more expensive, it's 2.8 times more expensive,  ($40/yard vs 14.20/yard) and that is just too much of a difference.  It's almost an insult to us.

I have bought from Springfield in the past and will buy from them again.  But it won't be their canvas.

7 minutes ago, Aven said:

I completely agree with supporting our sponsors.   And I get that it isn't something that you would expect them to carry.  They are doing us a favor by carrying it and I expect it to be a bit more expensive.  But its not just a bit more expensive, it's 2.8 times more expensive,  ($40/yard vs 14.20/yard) and that is just too much of a difference.  It's almost an insult to us.

I have bought from Springfield in the past and will buy from them again.  But it won't be their canvas.

Hard to argue that.

@BattleAx Sorry about the short highjack. 

Your bag turned out very nice.  It looks like it is the perfect size to use on a daily commute.  Love the canvas and leather look.  Nice job.

16 minutes ago, Aven said:

@BattleAx Sorry about the short highjack. 

Your bag turned out very nice.  It looks like it is the perfect size to use on a daily commute.  Love the canvas and leather look.  Nice job.

My bad, also, its a great bag and makes me want my Lands End Square Rigger from 1984 back.

Thank you very much for the links to obtaining waxed canvas!

On 11/25/2018 at 10:40 AM, Aven said:

While we are more expensive that Fair Field. Make sure you are looking at the #8...which is what we carry. Their price is $18.61/yrd ours is $36/yrd. Also, for orders under 50 yards Fair Field charges $30 for handling.
Honestly we just carry it out of convenience, for some. To be honest with you...our supplier is the same supplier as you are using.

I can say I personally don't blame you for spending your money wisely. I don't think any other leather supplier even carries it.

Edited by TonySFLDLTHR
typo

10 minutes ago, TonySFLDLTHR said:

While we are more expensive that Fair Field. Make sure you are looking at the #8...which is what we carry. Their price is $18.61/yrd ours is $36/yrd. Also, for orders under 50 yards Fair Field charges $30 for handling.
Honestly we just carry it out of convenience, for some. To be honest with you...our supplier is the same supplier as you are using.

I can say I personally don't blame you for spending your money wisely. I don't think any other leather supplier even carries it.

Excellent attitude, well done

Harry

4 hours ago, TonySFLDLTHR said:

Tony, you are absolutely correct.  I quoted the price for 8 oz, not #8 which is $18.61/yard.  But I'm still seeing yours at $40/yard.  And I can't remember another supplier that does offer canvas.

I do realize that you guys are doing this as a favor to us by offering it and I do appreciate that you are willing to offer a non-leather item.  But for me, it isn't a good buy.  Now with that said, if this is the only thing I find that isn't a good buy, then that leaves a whole lot that is.  As I said, I have purchased from you guys in the past and I will do it in the future, just not canvas.

14 hours ago, Aven said:

Tony, you are absolutely correct.  I quoted the price for 8 oz, not #8 which is $18.61/yard.  But I'm still seeing yours at $40/yard.  And I can't remember another supplier that does offer canvas.

I do realize that you guys are doing this as a favor to us by offering it and I do appreciate that you are willing to offer a non-leather item.  But for me, it isn't a good buy.  Now with that said, if this is the only thing I find that isn't a good buy, then that leaves a whole lot that is.  As I said, I have purchased from you guys in the past and I will do it in the future, just not canvas.

It is all good, I just want you to know how I felt too and then I don't blame you to get your monies worth. 

I went and checked and it looks like they only charge $15 in the cart for short order and not $30 which the price sheet states. That is where the convenience of being able to buy a half yard from us comes in.

Don't feel bad at all for doing what you need to do. We really appreciate that you checked us out in your decision making process. 

Very nice work!

And just to add further to the SLC conversation. You can buy direct from Fairfield but it is a minimum of 5 yards for $20.61 per yard plus a $15 short order fee and, for me at least in PA, a $52 shipping cost.

This means that if I buy 5 yards from Fairfield versus SLC I would only save about 25% so they really aren't far off since Fairfield charges the extra fee and an obscene shipping charge.

http://www.fairfieldfabrics.com/Natural-8-Duck-Martexin-Original-Wax_p_254.html

There are also some Etsy sellers with more selection for the same price as SLC.

Very nice bag! I want one!