christine1ca

I'm getting a birdsnest on the backstitch only

Hi guys! I'm new to the forum and excited to be here. I've been trying to fix this for 2 days now. I am stitching felt onto 7 oz veg tan. I can get a beautiful straight stitch. For the backstitch only, I get the top thread looping at the bottom. Attached are images of what I mean, as well as an image of the machine I'm using (Highlead/Artisan 2698-1). I've tried adjusting the tension, changing the needle and different thread thicknesses. I thread the needle with the foot up. I've tested it about 100 times and if I wanted to do this, I'm now confident I could do it every time. Its the same result with every thread combination. But I don't want to do it this way, so any help would be appreciated.

8.jpg

You said you have tried different tension setting. I am assuming you were talking about the top thread. Have you checked the bottom thread tension? If not try adjusting the bobbin tension.

To get the tension right on your bobbin thread in a flatbed machine and I am sure it would probably be similar in a cylinder machine. Thread the bobbin to about 80 percent and make sure it is inserted in the case so the thread comes off the bobbin in the correct direction. Then what I would do is: with the bobbin in the case but before it is placed in the machine. Pull out about 6 inches and hold the end of the tread and let the bobbin / case rest flat in your other hand. If the bobbin spins easily in the case tighten the thread tension spring screw. If you can lift the bobbin and case off your hand with no thread coming off the bobbin then loosen the thread tension spring screw on the case. I like the bobbin case to stand up and the bobbin move sightly but not spin easily in the case. Try a test piece holding both threads for first couple of stitches, back tack and adjust tensions accordingly if neccessary. Also every time you change thread size, type or manufacturer of thread check the bobbin thread and top thread tensions.

kgg

@christine1ca  Moved your post to leather sewing machines.  Better chance of more help here.

When reverse stitching/back tacking, don't hit reverse until the needle has past bottom and has risen about 1/4" so the loop is caught by the hook.  If the hook misses the loop, you get missed stitches and bird's nests.

Tom

thanks @kgg i have tried different bobbin tensions. i'm confused because the stitch looks great on both sides as long as i don't backstitch

@northmount thanks!! i was putting it in reverse with the needle in the material so that i could control the number of backstitches and so i could be sure i was paying attention to the needle lining up exactly with the forward stitch. but i should wait to put it in reverse until the needle is about 1/4" above the material?

37 minutes ago, christine1ca said:

@northmount thanks!! i was putting it in reverse with the needle in the material so that i could control the number of backstitches and so i could be sure i was paying attention to the needle lining up exactly with the forward stitch. but i should wait to put it in reverse until the needle is about 1/4" above the material?

The needle needs to rise about 1/4" from the bottom of its stroke.  It is still buried in the material.  NOT 1/4" above the material.

Tom

It is my experience that the timing of the arrival of the tip of the hook above the eye of the needle varies between forward and reverse sewing. That is why we time our machines in the zero motion position on machines having a single lever for both direction and stitch length.

Most of my numerous sewing machines are forward only. I spin the work 180 degrees to lock the stitches at the beginning and end, or else I pull the top thread through the bottom and tie both starting and ending threads together (then trim the ends). This eliminates any issues like you are having.

Check the timing of your machine

(if you never did that: take a look on other posts and watch what happens in your machine....)

You have adjusted top thread tensions and bobbin tensions have you checked to see if when you do reverse for back tacking that the needle actually follows back in the same holes. Like Wiz and Michiel have suggested that it may a timing issue. Do a quick test with no thread in the needle using a sheet of paper under the presser feet. Hand wheel through a few stitches then reverse and see if the needle falls through those forward stitches. The needle should go through the same holes.