NOBODY making a mold for this gun?  Lots of "close" ... 

Does it have to be colt?

Well, not if it fits the same as the Colt ;)  Most 1911's purdy durn simlar.. just a bit weary of gittin' asked to make this one, checkin', seein' still no mold.. you'd think SOMEBODY woulda molded one by now.  If it isn't cost effective to mold ONE, then I'll jump in say I'll take the first one if that could happen :o  Maybe I gotta take first TWO? 

Well idk if you've seen this one. Idk if it's different or not. Let me know what you think.https://www.holstersmith.com/vcom/cooks-gun-molds-rock-island-armory-c-555_656_832.html

From the pictures it looks pretty close to an officer acp. I've used cooks molds before and they are just fine. I prefer the unprepped version though. Prepped means they filled in the trigger area and put a "dowell" along the top to mold a sight channel. Only issue is it runs the whole length of the slide which is ok I guess, bit I don't like that personally.  

I'm right there with ya on the prepped and "dowel".  Havent' used cooks molds, but not opposed to them either ( I really like Duncans guns, but they're tough these days).  Trigger guard filled or not make no difference to me, but I do the sight a bit differently, and I like the port NOT filled.

I put that one in the cart... guess it wouldnt' hurt to have it on hand.  Maybe easiest way to do it is pick one up, make the holster for it, then find a guy local with one of the Colts and have him test the fit ?@!  Seems like the long way around, but ... it's okay.  I could send one to this current fella just as easy, but that doesn't let ME see the fit.

Right, I hear ya. I'm using a prepped mold that was sent to me for a m p  sheild but I may cut most of it off haha. 

I just saw it on hold and it looks really close if not the same. I've also heard people cutting down commander molds to use for the officer model but, I don't like that either. It's the first 3.5" 1911 dummy I've seen though

Edited by Stetson912

I just got a request to return a shield 9 holster that "doesnt' fit" from a rings gun.  Strange, the first 300 or so fit okay. Could have just admitted that he spent more than his wife gave him permission to do!  :rofl:

Haha yeah, I like rings molds a lot. B ut the cooks work just the same. Not as pretty but that's not what matters haha 

I have the Cooks non prepped officer mold. It works perfect for all three of my officer model 1911s. None are Colts but my 3" Colt Defender fits in them well other than being 1/2" short in the slide area. I like that Cooks have the safety in the engaged position if there is one for a particular gun.

In case anyone does not already know.....Colt does not currently offer an actual officer sized gun. It is not very common to even see an actual Colt officer either.

1 hour ago, Bolt Vanderhuge said:

I have the Cooks non prepped officer mold.

Is that the RIA? Teh defender and micro and emp is all 3", and the ruger and commander is 4 1/4.

KnifeKits boys say that the "colt 1911 compact" on their site is about a 4" barrel, closer to the commander than the defender.  FYI

The Rings commander is about 1/2 an inch longer than my series 80 officers model, but the same size as my Kimber Pro Carry II.  I have used the rings model for holsters for both guns, and they seem to fit OK.

On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 6:43 PM, JLSleather said:

Is that the RIA? Teh defender and micro and emp is all 3", and the ruger and commander is 4 1/4.

Yes it is the RIA. It is the correct size for a 3.5" officer 1911.

Edited by Bolt Vanderhuge

Yeah, I figgered.  Preciatecha ;) Should be one on the way already.  Now if SOMEBODY would git ta molding a sig compact 1911 ... :whistle:

Wow.. is that RIA THAT MUCH different from other 1911's?  I have the Springfield full size, EMP and micro, as well as the colt commander .. and this cook's mold is markedly bigger than all of them.

No idea on the mold Jeff, but I have an RIA Officer's size pistol and have used it to make holsters for both 3-1/2" Colts and 3" Kimbers without any issues. Maybe the mold runs wide? I'd expect it to be bigger than the EMP since it's a scaled down 1911, not just a shortened one but it should match up to the full size and commander, aside from being shorter. I've also used a 5" RIA pistol as a mold for Kimber, Colt and Springfield full size pistols and never had any fit issues. I don't think the actual RIA pistols are noticeably different than any other "typical" 1911, just my $0.02. Good luck getting an Officers size mold that'll work for you. Maybe it's a reason to treat yourself and add a pistol to your stockpile for Christmas :) 

Yeah, think it might run a bit tall.  Pickin one up at the sport store sound kinda pricey :o Maybe that fella wants a holster should bring HIS up here - only about 500 miles ;)

1 hour ago, JLSleather said:

Yeah, think it might run a bit tall.  Pickin one up at the sport store sound kinda pricey :o Maybe that fella wants a holster should bring HIS up here - only about 500 miles ;)

You could use your Colt Commander sticking out the bottom of the holster and get everything molded but the end of the barrel then pull it up 3/4" and finish it out. It's not ideal but I've done it with my 4" GP-100 to make holsters for 3" GP-100's. 

However you tackle it, good luck!

Yeah, not end of the world type stuff.  Just don't like feeling like I could have saved time by just tearing up 3 $20 bills and cutting the end off a commander mold ;)

I have no problem with my RIA Cooks mold gun. Like I said earlier, it works perfectly for my officer sized 1911s. Take some calipers and measure it. What is the slide width and any other dimensions that you think might be off?  I just measured the slide width of mine and it was 23.40mm. I then measured one of my 1911s and it was 23.40 as well. That is and exact match for my mold gun vs real ones.

Edited by Bolt Vanderhuge

5 minutes ago, Bolt Vanderhuge said:

What is the slide width and any other dimensions that you think might be off?  

Thinking more about the height, measured from top of slide to under frame,  which on this one is about 39.7, depending on just where you measure.  Seems about .060" tall.

Well, yes - kinda what I'm saying.  Not teh right size.  Either is it, or it isn't. And this one isn't.

Could be just this ONE mold, though I'm not sure how they could vary that much and I have no intention of buying "dummy" guns in bulk to "pick out" the one that measures correct.  If it's off by .010", or even .015", wouldn't matter. OR if it was UNDERSIZED by .06" a guy could easily build it up.  Present condition, it might be fine for "training" someone who doesn't know guns not to shoot their foot, but pretty much useless as a holster mold.  Well, for leather anyway.  I don't do those holsters with a stitch line 1/4" or 1/2" away from the form (seems to be accompanied by a story to the buyer that they must not be doing it right)

But again, not end-of-the-world type drama.  Worst case, the little boys up the street have a new toy ;)

I just measured mine at the front of the dust cover and mine vs the same 1911 as earlier. The mold is 0.02" bigger. Not sure if you are aware of this but 1911s vary by similar tiny amounts due to the multitude of different manufacturers. 

0.060" is only 1/16". Take some sandpaper to the underside of the dust cover and sand it down to meet you needs. It shouldn't take much time at all.