JLSleather

Maker Mark

8 hours ago, JLSleather said:

Even if it's just line art, that Coast Guard thing at 3G does look pretty good.  Just not what I was looking for atm.  Folks feel free to add others you know of (or if it's yourself, as well) and we'll have a list the next fella kin maybe NOT spend time searchin'.  If they did ya a good job, why not refer 'em ?

Grey Ghost Graphics is where I have had my Maker Mark stamps made.  He can also make just about any design that you could go after as long as you can provide him with some graphics/images that can be uploaded into his system.  Not too many doing the whole old school method of design, wax cast, mould, melt wax, pour metal (you know, the whole foundry thing) anymore.  Although my stamps are made of Delrin they have been taking a beating and still are just as crisp as the day I got them (had them in use now for about 4 years, going on 5).

Here's mine from @amleather (Alex Moreau) It took a long time to get here on the slow boat, but came out nice...I've hammered it quite a bit and also use it in the press with great results.  The attached pic was the test impression he sent me before shipping out the stamp.  Also attached is the proof after he worked up the design on the lettering to give a better impression...

Oh, yeah, that works.  With mine, I want the logo RAISED, and some seem to be tripping over that.  Since mine is rounded design (embossed look, not square sides) a fella could do that pretty easily with a ball end mill, but I dont see a lot of that going on :o

Edited by JLSleather

5 minutes ago, JLSleather said:

Here's mine from @amleather (Alex Moreau) It took a long time to get here on the slow boat, but came out nice...I've hammered it quite a bit and also use it in the press with great results.  The attached pic was the test impression he sent me before shipping out the stamp.  Also attached is the proof after he worked up the design on the lettering to give a better impression...

Oh, yeah, that works.  With mine, I want the logo RAISED, and some seem to be tripping over that.  Since mine is rounded design (embossed look, not square sides) a fella could do that pretty easily with a ball end mill, but I dont see a lot of that going on :o

I got you, should be able to do that, the background would be the impression, would you have it textured or smooth? That would look pretty awesome!

1 minute ago, koreric75 said:

the background would be the impression

Exactly.  A light texture is all that's needed... in fact, doesn't need to be particularly deep..just let the texture show up the UNtexture much like a white dot in the dark ;)

Or git all fancy, taper the depth out from the design much like leather matting... :o

Ball end mill about 1/16" would do it, though could prolly git by with 1/8" - then just.. well, kaint share EVERY trick ;)

Won't help with your rounded edges but with the binary images like mine, simply make the background black and the image white. The machinest cuts away everything that is white

48 minutes ago, Sheilajeanne said:

I need to get a stamp made. I am just wondering if this would work as far as the sort of artwork I need to submit.

Dayspring logo.JPG

That would come out ok with my stamp makers, but the landscape would be cut as deep as the sun and rays. To make it less deep I'd take a file over it and reduce it in height and maybe even leave file score marks in it for texture. At the price my maker charges I'd not fuss about doing it on a stamp from them

Here is mine...made in China for less than $30. The heating element and bottom  plate were made by one of my friends. This way i can also hot stamp chrome tan with or without foil

10432018_811339272291793_2021521453_n.jpg

928937_890977030943341_195431614_n.jpg

Edited by LeatherLegion

2 minutes ago, LeatherLegion said:

Here is mine...made in China for less than $30. The heating element and bottom  plate were made by one of my friends. This way i can also hot stamp chrome tan with or without foil

10432018_811339272291793_2021521453_n.jpg

now that is cool, i'd like to be able to heat mine other than by using an alcohol lamp or torch...

20181022_201711-1328x747.jpg

I tried uploading a pic of the stamp but it isn't loading for some reason even after resizing.

20180926_172922-1328x747.jpg

Edited by battlemunky

Those are really cool stamps! I too would like to hot stamp chrome tan...

Firstly; Le Prevo, Newcastle, UK does an an embossing plate service; http://www.leprevo.co.uk/embossing.htm

The plates are done by photo etching and due to the nature of that process the edges of the image are not vertical as in the machined stamps but they widen out a bit as it gets near the backing

Two of mine. Both machined in yellow brass by an ebay seller in China. These were actually done by two different sellers

My makers mark. 3cm across by 1.8cm high

5bfb741ae97f5_LazyD01ss.jpg.5a105006c00a4f8fda0a3230ba1a040d.jpg5bfb7434456f5_LazyDActualstamp01ss.jpg.98bb376fc2132169973e5bf68641af57.jpg

One of the design stamps I had done. Stamp is 5cm across by 3.2cm high

5bfb748a63765_Racingcar02ss.jpg.f497388c59d5ea5f62d52a10890fa76f.jpg5bfb749b52606_Racingcar01Actualstamp01ss.jpg.a38e3ecc306b0aeabac237def318644b.jpg

All the fine lines, eg in the grill, are nicely replicated

I had my maker's mark made by LeatherStampMaker.com.  They did a good job.  Quick turn around time.  

https://www.leatherstampmaker.com/?gclid=CjwKCAiA0O7fBRASEiwAYI9QAo2dEXnlxRJFeC8TeBSoFnBLI5oNsp6xuK86fQNz92zu2JFLZUEaFhoCB6wQAvD_BwE

5bfbb52848d0b_MakersMarkB.thumb.jpg.fe541469e70dc07304cde2f1385b9e5e.jpg

5bfbb5cf04b3a_MakersMarkC.thumb.jpg.a9a7f30f2fe2a8c880c8c2c2c686a239.jpg

5bfbb612b1102_MakersMarkD.thumb.jpg.059b8a6d8b4f98e36cfe51cd1a38079d.jpg

I will echo Steve 75's recommendation...Leatherstampmaker.com crafted my new makers marks stamps last year outta solid brass...quick turn-around time and not too expensive either. They also do custom font sets...and stamp/die combination sets (stamps the impression with an outer groove for the cutter die to lay in...custom tags, coasters, things of that nature)

https://www.leatherstampmaker.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5q-Nxozy3gIVq_7jBx0f_QC_EAAYASAAEgJlEPD_BwE

https://www.facebook.com/leatherstampmaker/

Makers Marks.jpg

Edited by Double Daddy

I had ours done by Hex N Hit Stamps. Very popular with the makers I follow on Instagram. Not cheap but very good quality and great people to work with. Made with brass, can be cold stamped, heated or used with foil in a machine. They will make any kind of machine holder you want.

http://hexnhitstamps.com

Their Instagram account.

3 minutes ago, JLSleather said:

Added. Strange that they don't say anything about pricing or turnaround times. :dunno:

They made it very quick for us. The pricing page is kinda hidden :)

Here is one of them: http://hexnhitstamps.com/shop/

And another pricing page: http://hexnhit.wixsite.com/hexnhit/how-to-order

And Etsy page: https://www.etsy.com/shop/HEXnHIT

Here is another place for people in the UK or EU: https://www.metallicelephant.co.uk

I have heard very good things about them. They are experts on hot stamping. They also sell one of the best stamping machines you can buy in Europe. Pricy stuff I think...

Edit: In Europe (or B2B) it is common not to list prices. It is just the way things are often done.

Edited by arz
Added pricing info

This should be made into a pinned thread for newbies looking to get information on maker's Mark's.  There is an incredible number of stamp makers listed here with recommendations and examples of their work.  

19 minutes ago, Steve75 said:

This should be made into a pinned thread for newbies looking to get information on maker's Mark's.  There is an incredible number of stamp makers listed here with recommendations and examples of their work.  

I second the motion.

stamp.pdf

1 hour ago, Steve75 said:

This should be made into a pinned thread for newbies

Well, that was kinda the original idea, actually.  Not everybody cares for them, but if a fella wants one it would be nice to know where to get one, and if someone got one (or more), and was happy with the work, it seems quite pathetic NOT to refer the person who did a good job for you.  Seems like occasionally (at least) a guy could do something for the next guy without having to "get something".

Maybe an attachment makes it a little easier to spot?

stamp.pdf

Edited by JLSleather
pdf

After 2 days, 1 who says he responds "next day" still has not, and one who says it would take a while to arrive has messaged 3 times to see if I approve his drawing (which is MY drawing) :rofl: