JazzBass

"Freezing" dye colors

Everything I've tried as a resist, or as a finish coat - (Tan Kote, Super Sheen, Pro Resist, Resoline) has a solvent effect on the well dried dye, often making a smooth solid color look uneven, or having background dye smearing on other parts that I intend to keep clean. How do I "freeze" the colors of whatever dyes have been applied, prior to a resist and/or finish coat?

a-  Would Pro Oil Dye work better than the Eco-Flo (water based)?
b- Would spraying instead of wiping/daubing/sponging eliminate the problem?
c- Since I don't have an airbrush/sprayer, would a light spray of Saddle Lac or something, freeze the colors prior to either a resist coat, or a finish coat of Resoline?

Sure, the solvent effect is a good thing when cleaning up after antiquing,  but it's been frustrating to get everything looking as desired, only to have it changed unpredictably by subsequent clear coats.
Suggestions?

Chris, I would definitely use Pro Dyes instead of water based - seem to give more consistent colors.

I also think spraying would pretty much eliminate your streaking problem.  You can buy a $10 airbrush at Harbor Freight that will spray finishes perfectly.  If you do not have a compressor, you can buy a tiny compressor for @$50-75 that will be more than adequate to run an airbrush.  

Gary

6 hours ago, garypl said:

Chris, I would definitely use Pro Dyes instead of water based - seem to give more consistent colors.

I also think spraying would pretty much eliminate your streaking problem.  You can buy a $10 airbrush at Harbor Freight that will spray finishes perfectly.  If you do not have a compressor, you can buy a tiny compressor for @$50-75 that will be more than adequate to run an airbrush.  

Gary

Thanks Gary. I only wish I had asked prior to the current project. It's not "ruined", by any means, but it could have been better.
I'll look into tooling up for spraying somehow, and stick with oil dyes in the future.

Tandy sells a spray can called Leather Sheen. Sprays on nice does not run is semi gloss, is flexible. not cheap about $15.00 a can but does a great job. no more streaks or uneven dye.

One other thing I would suggest is to take a white t-shirt and rub the dyed surface well before sealing. That helps to remove excess dye that can collect on the surface. Some colors are just problematic but the more of the excess you get off before you seal the better.