My cousin wanted a wallet made from the tops of an old pair of work boots. He's a junkman that goes by the name "Junkman" and goes through work boots like crazy. 

The outer is from the boots and the inner is 2/3oz veg tan.

Junkman-Boots.jpg

JunkmanWallet.jpg

Very nice!

I like it!

That is very nice, would you mind sharing how you did the letters?  and what kind of leather they are on?

Thanks so much

COOL.

Sam:)

On 11/27/2018 at 10:53 PM, Rbarleatherworks said:

That is very nice, would you mind sharing how you did the letters?  and what kind of leather they are on?

Thanks so much

The "JUNKMAN" is on 2/3 oz veg tanned leather. I used a stencil and traced them out. I then carefully sliced the outline of the letters with an x-acto blade and painted them black using a toothpick with acrylic leather paint. I dyed the red over the top and you can see that the black smeared a little. It was a tedious pain in the butt, but I'm happy with the outcome for a novice.  

Thanks for the reply to my question

I am new to this site but since I have been on here I am learning that I know nothing about leather work ....lol !!! Such a huge world out there.

I  really like what you did with those letters and I have a project that I could use that on  but I am still a bit confused on how you did it.  I'll blame it on the blonde roots :lol:

So If you cut the letters out and stitched it to the black leather wallet why did you need to paint them black?  Would the black from the wallet not show through?  (as I am typing this I am thinking that this is probably a real stupid question but I am obviously missing something). 

Could you clarify please,

Thanks so much

Regan :rolleyes:

Cool! Recycled boots for a recycler. Seems fitting.

On 12/9/2018 at 1:52 AM, Rbarleatherworks said:

Thanks for the reply to my question

I am new to this site but since I have been on here I am learning that I know nothing about leather work ....lol !!! Such a huge world out there.

I  really like what you did with those letters and I have a project that I could use that on  but I am still a bit confused on how you did it.  I'll blame it on the blonde roots :lol:

So If you cut the letters out and stitched it to the black leather wallet why did you need to paint them black?  Would the black from the wallet not show through?  (as I am typing this I am thinking that this is probably a real stupid question but I am obviously missing something). 

Could you clarify please,

Thanks so much

Regan :rolleyes:

I traced the letters in pencil with a stencil. Then I carefully used an x-acto blade and sliced the traced letters, not cutting all the way through the leather, just enough so that when I painted it I wouldn't have any bleed over. Painted with black acrylic leather paint and then wiped the dye across the top after the paint dried (there was a little paint smear, but oh well). This was a first attempt sort of thing. I only do it as a hobby, not for making money, and give out some original gifts for friends...... Im happy with it. Go for it and try out new things, you'd be surprised at what you come up with.

On 12/15/2018 at 9:35 PM, Prestige593 said:

I traced the letters in pencil with a stencil. Then I carefully used an x-acto blade and sliced the traced letters, not cutting all the way through the leather, just enough so that when I painted it I wouldn't have any bleed over. Painted with black acrylic leather paint and then wiped the dye across the top after the paint dried (there was a little paint smear, but oh well). This was a first attempt sort of thing. I only do it as a hobby, not for making money, and give out some original gifts for friends...... Im happy with it. Go for it and try out new things, you'd be surprised at what you come up with.

That's great to know thanks so much for your reply, and I also wanted to say that I love the recycling idea... I once had a fellow bring me his very well worn logging boots and wanted me to make cup holders out of the tops for his motorcycle... they actually turned out very well.

Never know what the next creation will be :-)

Regan