Dwight

Can I stretch and flatten out Deerskin leather

I have several deerskins I was getting ready to use in a project, . . . and when the previous owner had them, . . . they were folded.

That put some wrinkles in the leather, . . . and of course around the edges there are always some wrinkles etc.

I was thinking of wetting them all down and stretching them out to dry, . . . hoping that would get rid of the wrinkles and folds.

Anyone got any advice, . . . DO IT ???, . . . DON'T DO IT ???  

Don't want to ruin the leather, . . . but if I could get it all flattened out, . . . it would make the job a whole big bunch easier.

May God bless,

Dwight

1. I made some buckskin clothing many years ago which got wet a lot. They do get stiff and you can stretch it. If you tack it down around the edges, when they dry well I think you cold work them back to close to the original softness. I might try to cut off a small piece and try it first to see if you like the results. Good luck with your project, and let us know how you make out!

2 hours ago, JD62 said:
  1. I made some buckskin clothing many years ago which got wet a lot. They do get stiff and you can stretch it. If you tack it down around the edges, when they dry well I think you cold work them back to close to the original softness. I might try to cut off a small piece and try it first to see if you like the results. Good luck with your project, and let us know how you make out!

Thanks JD62, . . . sometimes the obvious goes over our head like Canadian geese in the spring time.

Gotta get some pins and a board, . . . but the "small piece" is what I should have done.  I just automatically thought of this place as I have had SO MANY questions answered at one time or another.

May God bless,

Dwight