BikerBill

Iron on patches on suede leather

Hi everyone,

Hope your holidays are going well. I know that trying to iron on patches with glue backing on leather does not work well, as they don't stick. But what about suede leather? I have some ladies western style fringe suede vest. I also sell Native American style patches with very good iron on glue backing, not the cheap stuff that never sticks! I assume since suede leather is very "fuzzy" that glue would stick well to it, but I don't want to ruin a vest trying to find out. Anyone know if glue sticks a lot better to suede leather than normal leather? Thank you. :)

Well I answered my own question so I will post my results here for anyone else who wants to know. I remembered today that I had some small suede leather pouches. So I cut one apart so it would lay flat, fired up a normal iron on highest setting and ironed on a small patch. I also flipped it over and ironed the other side too, a trick that really helps stick a patch.

The result is,,,,,,, fantastic! The patch is very securely glued to the suede. The rough surface really holds the glue well. I have a commercial heat press also, which works even better than an iron. I'll use that for large patches. The suede did not burn or discolor. I did put a sheet over the patch. So now ya know, patches iron on well to suede. But only the ones that have very good solid glue backing, not the cheap types that never stick!

Thank you.