phjldcarden

leather stamping tools, price vs quality

Hi I am a Noob to the forum and to leather working. My question is this, Tandy has a sale Dec. 8, in store where their stamps are $2.99 for the regular stamps and $7.99 for the pro stamps. There are 4-6 of the pro I plan to get, are they worth it?  2nd question: I have seen a company called Simpzia and another called Caydo. The sets are inexpensive, what I want to know are they cheaply made, there On Amazon for less than $100.00 and the set has 99 pieces. Is it worth it to get them knowing they will be replaced later? I did view a review that said the Simpzia was good, but do not know if the reviewer was experienced or not. Thank you in advance for any help.

Phil

At those prices, they are not bad.  Tandy's pro tools are generally decent: Not as good as something like Barry King, Jueshke, or other higher end but worth the sale price - Full price is a little high.  The regular Tandy tools are OK but not great, and I'd avoid basketweave and geometrics where precision is needed, but most of the others are worthwhile.

My general opinion on tools such as these is that they are worth the money if you don't quite know for sure what sort of tooling you want to do since you can get a wide variety affordably.  Once you know what you like to do you'll know which sorts of really good tools to buy with your hard earned money.   Even then, the cheap tools that you find you don't use so much will still be on hand for those rare occasions when you need them.

- Bill

I was wondering if Craft Japan are good quality stamps?

My opinion is that the Tandy pro tools are really quite nice and at the current sale price they are a real bargain.  

14 hours ago, phjldcarden said:

I was wondering if Craft Japan are good quality stamps?

The Craft Japan tools are a notch above the Tandy Craftools in quality. As I understand it the Craftool Pro stamps are being discontinued, so get them while the getting is good.