AWESOME!

Curious to know about the construction. What is underneath the scales? Boiled leather? Or just heavy weight hide?

Just wow and awe

19 hours ago, immiketoo said:

I hate it, but its a matter of cost.  Too much time to do them all.

Just messin'.
Of course no one would do that for armor, the pieces would be cut and pierced and would have to be replaced all the time. At least that's a good story if anyone else mentions it....

On a serious note, do you know if this kind of armor was made out of leather back in the day, or if the ancients used metal scale only? 

Well butter my butt n call me a biscuit.. 

This is fantastic! 

Meanwhile, I'm over here and can't carve two parallel lines bahahahaha!

Awesome stuff Mike!

3 hours ago, Sheilajeanne said:

AWESOME!

Curious to know about the construction. What is underneath the scales? Boiled leather? Or just heavy weight hide?

Just thick hide.  This is meant for reenactment, not actual battle.  Plus, there is no historical reference to boiled hide from this time period.  It could have been done, but we can't prove it.

1 hour ago, robs456 said:

Just messin'.
Of course no one would do that for armor, the pieces would be cut and pierced and would have to be replaced all the time. At least that's a good story if anyone else mentions it....

On a serious note, do you know if this kind of armor was made out of leather back in the day, or if the ancients used metal scale only? 

There is historical reference to thermatothorax (Leather thorax) armor, but nothing on actual construction methods.  We have an archeologist who consulted on this project.

Thanks, everyone!  It was a fun project to make.  Sure is heavy though.

I thought I had somethin worth posting in the gallery this morning and see this...........Daaaam......that is just toooo good.:P Maybe tomorrow.

29 minutes ago, noobleather said:

Stunning work!

Thanks!

18 minutes ago, RockyAussie said:

I thought I had somethin worth posting in the gallery this morning and see this...........Daaaam......that is just toooo good.:P Maybe tomorrow.

Nah, post it up!

Well done, Sir. 

2 hours ago, immiketoo said:

Thanks!

Nah, post it up!

Ok I did it

Absolutely outstanding! I really love the lion, but the whole piece is great. Well done.

14 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

Ok I did it

Nice work. I enjoyed seeing your process!  Maybe a post with a little more explanation is in order? 

58 minutes ago, spacedog said:

Absolutely outstanding! I really love the lion, but the whole piece is great. Well done.

Thank you.  The lion is pretty cool.  Makes the piece in my opinion.

21 hours ago, immiketoo said:

There is historical reference to thermatothorax (Leather thorax) armor, but nothing on actual construction methods.  We have an archeologist who consulted on this project.

Thanks,
I've been researching a bit and figure that a lot of leather armor actually was made the same way as the metal scale armor. (Especially in the Asian cultures.) So this piece is looking real good.

Edited by robs456

1 hour ago, robs456 said:

Thanks,
I've been researching a bit and figure that a lot of leather armor actually was made the same way as the metal scale armor. (Especially in the Asian cultures.) So this piece is looking real good.

Thanks, Rob!  There are only so many ways to attach leather to leather.  Ours is modified from what we know about historically because I have a stitcher.  Traditionally they have been riveted or laced on to minimize the amount of work and time required to build them.

55 minutes ago, Doomgiver13 said:

Amazing work! I aspire to armor at some point and this is a darn good reason why.

I aspired to armor at some point too.  I was just afraid to commit this many resources to a project without knowing the outcome.  It was totally worth it.

7 hours ago, immiketoo said:

Nice work. I enjoyed seeing your process!  Maybe a post with a little more explanation is in order? 

I thought about that but there is a lot of steps like making my own font for it and then the doing the font file for the outside 3d print and files for the laser cutting and settings and I just thought I would test the interest levels before I spent more hours trying to explain it all. So far very little interest I have seen so I will think about some more. I will dig back and find an earlier post where I started this project as it shows a few more of the steps involved -

What an amazing piece of art, you sure deserve a few drinks !!

3 hours ago, Eddie Q said:

What an amazing piece of art, you sure deserve a few drinks !!

Thanks Eddie!  I am having those right this moment!  Had a little photo shoot today!

B121063B-6E9E-45A4-B730-C553564233B3.jpeg

96303DEE-D4D3-48FA-BE2A-43E7223A5E78.jpeg

Pretty darn nice work!

11 hours ago, immiketoo said:

Had a little photo shoot today!

Enough of the "hardware." We need to see a shot of you in your full regalia! Now that would be a real crowd pleaser. 

Thanks everyone.  Latino, this suit was made for a guy much smaller than me, so I can’t even try it on :(

Wow! 

Is all I can say, I just finished an armour Set so I feel your pain on sewing it.

2 hours ago, HaloJones said:

Wow! 

Is all I can say, I just finished an armour Set so I feel your pain on sewing it.

No kidding, right!?  Pics man, lets see it!

1 hour ago, immiketoo said:

No kidding, right!?  Pics man, lets see it!

No where near as good as yours but the owner is happy & it has survived battle.

Not sure if I can insert the picture (Currently mobile)

but here is a link to it on my Flickr page

Armour