imcambraith

Leather Sandals

I would guess they would be very very expensive as a lot of work in them

Doesn't look technically diffiicult... for someone with a sewing machine...and whole lotta time....  I would charge $500...if I had a sewing machine

7 minutes ago, cseeger said:

I would charge $500...if I had a sewing machine

Does that include the legal costs for defence against Nike for using their logo? And ultimate reparation?

I think you'd need three noughts on that, Nike get twitchy about that sort of thing.  :deadsubject:

Edited by hwinbermuda

Whilst many of us will do our own interpretations of many items I do not believe anyone on here, especially me, will actually make a full blown copy of an item produced by any company or individual

DOH!   Good point.   He posted in the wrong forum.  

OP,  you should post your request in the "Counterfeit Goods" forum.   

Good catch hwinbermuda 

Hahaha these aren’t sold or anything from Nike. If you look them up you don’t find anything. You’re not copying a  shoe. Anyone wanna make them without Nike symbol?

I dunno man, looks pretty swoooshy to me.  

This is obviously somebody's design.  Copying is copying whether a ginormus name brand or little ol' me.  In addition to the legal issues, there's also an ethical issue.   You ask permission to the use the design and if it's for money they should getta  piece, ya know?   You don't just help yourself.   

So where'd you get the pic,?  What's the story behind your custom request ?  Why can't you purchase from wherever this pic comes from?  If it's a conceptual drawing, whose drawing?  yada yada.  At best you might get a hit to do an interpretation, which means something different than this.     Just saying man, it's not as easy as can you copy these sandals?  Except in China of course.  Which leaves us with our speeches and ethics and them with the money, power,  and the good roads.   (That would make a good famous.quote wouldn't it?)

See how complex this gets?  You start with sandals and end up with WWIII .

Curiosity finally got the better of me and a Google Image search revealed what the deal is.  "Air Bethlehems" -- a meme making the Reddit et al rounds.  Trendy, tongue in cheek.   "Worn by Jesus game 7 against the Roman's"  in the joke genre of  "Jesus saves... passes to Moses...  he shoots... he scores!"  

So it's just a funny concept  Ok, I get it.  What makes it funny, of course is the "Air Bethlehems" meme, which is 90% Nike swoosh and 10% style of gladiator sandal.   Further, your motivation is to capitalize on the popularity of the meme now, at it's height.  So...it's not the sandals, it's not even the swoosh, it's the meme you're after, the sandals and the swoosh being in support of that and dictates that it has to be the same in order that it be readily identifiable with the meme.    And that explains why there isn't an alternative like picking any ol' gladiator sandal and applying your own Nike swoosh.   That wouldn't work because people wouldn't get it.   

All of that makes sense.  What doesn't hold together, however, is how owning these sandals translates into social bonus points for you,  i.e.,  usurping cool off the meme?   How many people can you reasonably expect to be familiar with the meme?  Let's be generous and assume 10,000 people know and love this meme and would go into a fit of giggles seeing you wearing said meme sandals.  So the question is, what are the odds that where you live, anyone will make the connection?  Without getting too far down the rabbit hole, lets just take a rough percentage of "Meme Knowers" to the population of the country.  What that says is that "Meme Knowers" are evenly distributed in the U.S.  including where you are. That works out to a probability of any one person being a "Meme Knower" at .00307%.  Said another way, you would go through 30,000 unique interactions in order to cross paths with one "Meme Knower".  That's a lot of interactions.  By one measurement, it would take you 27 years to rack up 30,000 unique encounters.  

In a lifetime, a person will interact with 80,000 people, and 4 of those will be murderers.   That means you are almost twice as likely  to interact with a murderer than you are to interact with a "Meme Knower".  And that optimistically assumes the Meme remains popular over a lifetime when in fact it looks to be a 6-9 month meme at best.   The other consideration is you have no idea what is going to set those four murderers off.   They come in all manner of varieties and it would not be unreasonable to assume one of  them becoming enraged with your blasphemous tongue-in-cheek treatment of Jesus.  Moreover, he might think he is Jesus in which case those sandals are a throw down.  The only positive that can from that is they were able to indentify your body since you were the only one who owned a pair of "Air Bethlehems"....talk about irony.   

I can appreciate your motivation, I just don't see how you get there.  Call me a softie, but I don't want you to leave with your soul crushed for lack of a social bonus points plan.  Just a thought here, why  not start your own meme and take all the credit?  Here's a couple t-shirt designs I haven't done anything with.  I give you permission to use as your own as you see fit.   I hope you knock it out of the park and they parade you around while standing on the shoulders of the coolest people in your town.

I'm An Artist - T.png

Idaho - We Gotta Walmart!.jpg

Edited by cseeger