chrisash

Luberto Wyndham Cub

Read the small part about the cub on another post yesterday, and interested if anyone had the full story as it seems came and went years ago but for many country folk it could have been a handy machine but presumably very low sales potential at that price (I think someone quoted near $1400

So anyone know the full story, not that i am looking to buy one, just a nosey old sod

Try to locate Tony Luberto. He might be willing to build one for you. Or, he may have one left from the final run.

As I stated I don't want one, just interested as to why such a simple design disappeared and its history

I exchanged emails with Tony Luberto a couple years ago about the Cub. He worked for various SM manufacturers for years and admired the stitch quality of the BUSM/Pearson No.6 harness machine. He produced a few machines over the years replicating the desirable characteristics of that classic machine but with modern parts (Ferdinand No.9 and Luberto Classic). The Cub is/was intended as a very stripped-down machine to reduce costs and make it portable.

The market for such a machine (a hand-cranked heavy stitcher with small throat size and no reverse) is limited, well catered for by the Tippmann Boss and now the Cowboy Outlaw, at a similar price to the Cub which never had a great deal of marketing or distribution behind it. I really think that by fitting it with a crank handle instead of a flywheel and cheap servo motor Tony missed a trick -- it could still be hand-cranked for the masochists out there but motorised it would fill a different niche that's still somewhat open -- people who want a heavy-duty stitcher that's capable of going at a decent speed but is truly portable. It would also fill the niche for those people who need such a machine every now and then but can't dedicate the space to a proper machine stand, in which case it can be kept in a cupboard or on a shelf until it's needed, when it's chucked on the bench, used, then put away again. Add a reverse function and I'd be selling my left kidney for one. As it is I don't have $1400 to risk on being able to retrofit it with a flywheel.

Weaver indeed coming out with the machine in the spring.  Will have the hand crank instead of the pull down handle.  This should make it easier to use than the Cub or Boss.  I do not know about reverse.  As I know more, I will post.

Glenn Miller

Will the Weaver implementation be manufactured in USA?  If so, that is a huge and I mean huge marketing difference that will spread like wildfire.  If made in china nobody will have interest for the most part.  Just my 2 cents and also my personal power as a consumer and my ability to choose.   Best regards, Mike

yes, machine going to be made in the US.  Contact Weaver Leather to see where they are on the machine.

glenn

Sorry about not posting. Weaver Leather has purchased the rights to produce the Windham Cub from us. They are a much larger company and I expect will be able to produce the Cub in larger quantities than we can. This will be good for you the consumer. Not sure when production will be up and running yet but it should be soon.

Weaver Leather is based in Ohio and they are a wholesaler so I expect the machines will be available through their retailers. Advertisements for the Cub should be out soon.

For more info you can contact me, Tony Luberto at " classiccub (at) frontier (dot) com. Ignore the linked Frontier below.

I talked to Allen at Weaver  this morning.  The first Cub is off the line and being tested.   Still some work to do and they will not release it until they are satisfied.   Should be a good machine.  Like I stated earlier, will have a crank on it vs. pulling a lever down.

glenn

I look forward to seeing what improvements Weaver makes to the Cub. I was really tempted to scrape together the pennies for one several times. Partly for practicality, partly for the ready parts availability, partly because I love the solid simple effectiveness of the Pearson-derived mechanism. I'd be very pleased with a motorised version especially if it had reverse. If it's cordless I think I'd sell a kidney to buy one.

Weaver still testing machine and working out a few bugs.  It take a while to work out bugs. believe me.  Contact Allen at Weaver to see where they are.

glenn