Handstitched

Tandy Australia Closing

G'Day, 

I got an email this morning from Tandy:

https://www.tandyleather.com.au/en/australia-web-order-transition.html 

It would be interesting to know why, but I have a bit of an idea....too expensive ? 

Not sure how this will go ( not too well I'm guessing )  , and , even though they say that invoices will be  in Aussie dollars, I wonder how our credit card providers will see it ?  Exchange rate ?   :dunno:   Right now, the Aussie dollar is hovering around  . 72 . 73 cents, making  it financially unviable to  order anything  from the US. 

Orders I have made in the past from the US , take at least 4 - 6 weeks instead of the usual two ( sometimes less)  . Too bad if we want something in a hurry eh? 

HS 

Bummer. Sorry.

Trouble is that in this modern e-commerce day, the competition has moved with the time and make smaller more reasonable profit percentages on their goods whilst Tandy still live in the past watching slowly declining customer base apart from last resort buyers especially for the higher priced items like machines

Being a Elite customer by being ex service is nice but it must insult the non elite to have to pay a higher price for the same item, I cannot think of any other business using the same tactics.

Maybe just the American way

8 hours ago, ScoobyNewbie said:

Bummer. Sorry.

Thats OK  Scooby,  but something tells me its the beginning of the end for Tandy Australia . 

But surely Tandy  must have done some research before opening down under ? If they did, they would have realised that there are already some established leather outlets / suppliers etc in Oz? 

Theres  two in  NSW ,  (not far from Tandy) ,  NSW Leather Company ( my wholesaler, has an agent in Perth WA )  and Birdsall Leather,  I have an account with them.  

No doubt they'll learn from this. 

HS 

They also closed the second one in the UK so only one now

3 hours ago, chrisash said:

They also closed the second one in the UK so only one now

I just found that out when I went to look up the opening times of the one that is closest, to find it closed....

Have applied for Business Membership at the distant one.

I'd watch out for rationalisation in the USA too.

Harry

I would think that if you had a business account in your other Tandy, you wouldn’t need to apply at the second one. In the states here, the accounts are corporate wide and apply in all the stores.

Oh, that's too bad.  A sign of the times I guess.

I have also noticed that  the catalogues & emails have stopped . 

The other inconvenience,  now for some ,   is this :  "International Transaction Charge may apply based on your credit card issuer."  

I'm just  glad that I have more than one supplier in Oz .   The Aussie dollar is still in the toilet , and still not viable to order from the States :( . 

' Patience grasshopper'   :) 

HS 

Edited by Handstitched

Got another email from Tandy this morning, a liquidation sale. Things are starting to wind down I guess. 

https://cdn.tandyleather.com/media/TEM2/2019-02-15-AustraliaInStoreSpecials.html?utm_source=Tand-E-mail+from+Tandy+Leather&utm_campaign=f5786df920-2019-02-14-In-Store+Only+Specials-AUD&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_e267c11fde-f5786df920-75657005

( sorry for the long link) 

' In store only' ?   hmph!!!  Not fair !! 

I just need a transporter ( from Star Trek) to make the  4000km trip. 

HS

G'Day,

Saw this:    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJTKtkqSEVsly

While its  mostly  about the electronics business, it does very  briefly  talk about  Charles Tandy and the Hinckley Tandy  Leather Co.  part of the business. 

Its a trip down memory lane for some. 

Tandy Australia has pretty much shut up shop , and operate online in Oz $$ , but  shipping goods from the US .  

How healthy is  the  Tandy Leather business  in the US ? 

HS 

I'm in Fort Collins, Colorado, which is between Denver and Cheyenne, Wyoming. I'm actually heading up to Cheyenne Tandy today. It's only about 40 minutes away, and it gets me out of the house for a couple of hours. Denver has at least three Tandy stores, but I don't go there since I retired. Cheyenne doesn't have the selection that the Denver stores have, but they have everything I need right now. If I had to order online, I wouldn't be ordering from Tandy. 

So, Tandy seems to be doing okay in the US. But I think it's mostly local people, and those that haven't priced other online outlets, or those that don't know what good leather looks like.

Jeff