alpha2

Hatband sizing?

I need to know approximately the circumference of an average ladies western hat, for some hatbands. My client doesn't have the hat, as it's for her daughter in another state. I could take an average size and add a couple of extra holes, but don't know what size an average ladies western hat would be. Anyone?

Jeff

Average ladies head is about 56cm to 57 cm around; add about 4cm for hat sweat band and material thickness = 60 to 61cm. If doing a buckle joint add at least 4cm to go thru the buckle = 64 to 65cm plus your fold over for the buckle itself, maybe another 4cm = 68 to 69 cm, so around 70cm

Thanks, that's just what I needed!

Jeff

4 hours ago, fredk said:

Average ladies head is about 56cm to 57 cm around; add about 4cm for hat sweat band and material thickness = 60 to 61cm. If doing a buckle joint add at least 4cm to go thru the buckle = 64 to 65cm plus your fold over for the buckle itself, maybe another 4cm = 68 to 69 cm, so around 70cm

Wait, Fredk, do you mean 4 mm to go through the buckle? 4 cm seems like a lot.

I just measured round my own hat; its a 56 cm head size. Around the outside of the crown is exactly 60 cm

21 minutes ago, alpha2 said:

Wait, Fredk, do you mean 4 mm to go through the buckle? 4 cm seems like a lot.

My hat bands I make are like belts with a buckle. The end with adjustment holes; 4cm to go thru the buckle and keeper is not too much. It allows a couple of extra holes at 1 cm intervals for a slightly larger diameter crown. 3 cm is too little and above 5cm looks too ungainly. 

On the other end for the buckle a fold around of 4cm is modest. It can be less, but at 4cm there is room for a keeper to be sandwiched

Tandy sells ready cut hat-band straps. The straps are pre-punched for main fittings. They are 3/8" wide. 74 cm long and the fold around the buckle is 6cm [74 - 6 = 68cm nominal hat band]

I see what you're saying now. 

Edited by alpha2

On 12/4/2018 at 1:09 PM, fredk said:

I just measured round my own hat; its a 56 cm head size. Around the outside of the crown is exactly 60 cm

My hat bands I make are like belts with a buckle. The end with adjustment holes; 4cm to go thru the buckle and keeper is not too much. It allows a couple of extra holes at 1 cm intervals for a slightly larger diameter crown. 3 cm is too little and above 5cm looks too ungainly. 

On the other end for the buckle a fold around of 4cm is modest. It can be less, but at 4cm there is room for a keeper to be sandwiched

Tandy sells ready cut hat-band straps. The straps are pre-punched for main fittings. They are 3/8" wide. 74 cm long and the fold around the buckle is 6cm [74 - 6 = 68cm nominal hat band]

I came on here just to see if I could find this info(though I guess I might have found it on Tandy’s site now that I think about it), Thanks!