LeatherNewbie76

Longevity of leather????

So I have recently decided on what area I want to specialize in for leather work. Holsters, belts, equestrian accessories, etc. Leather that will be used out doors and beat up. MY question to all the veterans is.. What do you do to make sure the leather will hold up to the elements and against torture out in the field? Making a product your proud of and can trust is something i wanna base my products off of. 

Tips?

First, get the best leather available.  It makes a difference.  Next, use leather appropriate for the project you're making, i.e. bridle leather for horse tack, as an example.  Once you've found what you like to work with, build it to the highest quality standards possible and then educate your customers about how to care for the item.  Leather is very durable but with improper care, it will deteriorate much faster than with even minimal care.  We sound out care and feeding instructions with all our items.  Don't soak it.  Don't leave it in the harsh sun.  Don't store it damp or wet.  If oil is needed, add light coats. No salty environments.  Wipe it clean, etc.  I carried leather holsters in all conditions for 20 years and a little care goes a long way.