fredk

Help with info on unknown machine

My turn to ask questions.

All help and advice gratefully received

I picked this unknown machine up at Charity Shop [Thrift shop in USA] for a contribution of £10

Before I get stuck into sorting it out I'd like see if I can get some info on it.

I'm guessing its a Japanese clone of a Singer. There is no serial number or maker's name on as far as first inspection can discern

Front side:

5c09622f8dd2f_Sewingmachine301s.jpg.4b41e36e6e18048a07570ad672b1901e.jpg

Rear side:

5c09625566074_Sewingmachine302s.jpg.503d0aefe8714b9313cc8065216559b9.jpg

Control knob on front of base: it reads; Embroidery, Silk, Normal

5c0962a25a4f0_Sewingmachine303s.jpg.5c51c24b1ee0546e1f53d73dc7783e3c.jpg

Working end:

5c0962cf0ab81_Sewingmachine307s.jpg.7456701dbcf53e06b283184f56b43fb5.jpg

I have the cover plate but it needs repaired; no screws to hold the spring in place. Nae prob fixin thon

Stitch choice control;  Question - Is the knob on the left to lock the choice lever or a reverse selection?

5c0962f96c9f6_Sewingmachine304s.jpg.d199d20d4be3009d91ccc8d153d86059.jpg

This has a gearbox attachment on the fly wheel end. That bolt thats been fitted has a nut which restricts its turning to just under one revolution. It seems to be a 1:2 gear box, one turn of the gearbox turns the flywheel round by twice. Obviously that bolt needs changing to a handle and the gear box attachment to the main body needs fixing. The bolt and nut has been fitted and then bent to try and clear the gearbox but it shows its been rubbing on the gearbox housing for sometime use - daft, why not just back-off the nut??

5c0964251ff60_Sewingmachine309s.jpg.25d10ec6f455706100b7b9f3007134d6.jpg

5c09643b779b7_Sewingmachine310s.jpg.9c18ccaa485aa76d1ddd3121ec4ff3c6.jpg

All in all, it turns over freely and the mechanics underneath all look clean and oiled.

PS: I'm aware this might not do much in my leatherwork, maybe manage very thin leather, however I do sew other materials as well

TIA

Fred

Edited by fredk

Overall it looks in good shape and appears to be a hand crank variant of the singer 191j or m around the mid 1950's. I think the knob on the left is for setting stitch length and the one on the right is the forward (down position)/ reverse (lever all the way up). When you get it figured out I think you will be surprised at the stitch and what it can go through. The max thread is probably rated V69 but you should be able to push V92 through.

kgg

You set the stitch length on the right lever and then when you adjust the lest needle it restricts the  stitch length needle to that size when either in forward or reverse

You are right, it is a Japanese copy of a Singer. It is a hand crank copy of a domestic Singer model 15-91.

50 minutes ago, chrisash said:

You set the stitch length on the right lever and then when you adjust the lest needle it restricts the  stitch length needle to that size when either in forward or reverse

Righto - understand the first bit. ~Sorry, but not the bit I've embolden

26 minutes ago, JJN said:

You are right, it is a Japanese copy of a Singer. It is a hand crank copy of a domestic Singer model 15-91.

I have a singer 15K in my collection. Do you think this copy would take the same bobbin case? it needs a new one. And would the threading be about the same as I have the instructions for the 15K. Needles? same domestic Singer type?

~I can never get my head round to understanding thread sizes. I intend to use Gutterman 'Topstitch' thread with this, which needs a 100 or so needle.

5 minutes ago, fredk said:

I have a singer 15K in my collection. Do you think this copy would take the same bobbin case? it needs a new one. And would the threading be about the same as I have the instructions for the 15K. Needles? same domestic Singer type?

I expect this machine would use the most common domestic class 15 bobbins, cases and needles. Here is a link to some info on the Singer 15k.

http://www.singersewinginfo.co.uk/15/

To set the stitch length lift up the lever to the setting you want then loosen the screw on the left and slide it up until the metal behind the screw touches the lever (you'll know what I mean when you try it) then tighten the screw. Now if you lift the lever all the way up for reverse it will return to your preset stitch length.

Thanks guys

5 hours ago, dikman said:

To set the stitch length lift up the lever to the setting you want then loosen the screw on the left and slide it up until the metal behind the screw touches the lever (you'll know what I mean when you try it) then tighten the screw. Now if you lift the lever all the way up for reverse it will return to your preset stitch length.

Got it. It was seized up a bit tho. A bit of brute force and oiling got the stop plate moving. Moves real smooth now.

Did a little bit-by-bit dismantling and oiling - yup I'm using the proper oil. Had a stiff spot in the mechanism. Turned out to be mostly a big divot of fluff between the teeth bit and the case. As the teeth moved back they jammed a bit by the fluff. Once cleared and all oiled its moving like Fred Astaire on an ice rink

The plastic handle for the handcrank was in the accessory box. Its all ok, but I might change the handle to a wooden one.

The shaft and release parts of the bobbin winder were slightly seized up. Once again, oiled and worked and its working fine. I thought of leaving it off but then there is a big ugly gap there.

Come 'ere, I'll tell ye a funny one. I said there was no serial number. There is. On the main casting, just under the front lip. Each time I'd opened it up to see under I'd been putting one of my hands right over the serial number plate! big Doh!

If it is, as I suspect, a clone of the Singer 15-90, it can likely sew 1/4 inch of cloth and about 1/8 to 3/16 inch of soft to medium temper veg-tan leather or vinyl. Seeing as how this is a drop feed machine, it will need help to pass leather under the foot. There are two ways to accomplish this: a roller equipped foot or a Teflon foot. While Teflon feet are easy to find and cheap, they mark easily and will be chewed up if one comes in direct contact with the feed dog.

Thanks. I believe I have both roller and teflon feet which should fit this. I'll check later that I do still have them and that they fit. They were bought for the 15K

Oks like wat i wote I did not heck, orry about dat Fred

3 hours ago, chrisash said:

Oks like wat i wote I did not heck, orry about dat Fred

I forgive you

This time

Question; the collar I've circled is spring loaded. When I press it the shaft for the foot-raising lever raises up. For Why?

5c0ac01e086ae_Sewingmachine307as.jpg.92317228b016dbc6890c3a7c23f416a3.jpg

2 hours ago, fredk said:

Question; the collar I've circled is spring loaded. When I press it the shaft for the foot-raising lever raises up. For Why?

5c0ac01e086ae_Sewingmachine307as.jpg.92317228b016dbc6890c3a7c23f416a3.jpg

There is a coil spring inside the head, around the presser bar. You need to push down on the bar to get more pressure and hold it down until the locking collar secures it in place.

This is a domestic sewing machine for cloth. This forum is for discussing industrial leather sewing machines.