This project was fun, it's a Mexican loop holster and belt for my nephew. It is for a little cap gun I got for him. He is 5 and like playing pretend and stuff so, I thought this could help with that. 

Let me know what you think. The pics show the holster still wet and I'll just do a wax finish on it. 

20181205_230339-864x864.jpg

20181205_230550-864x864.jpg

I hope he does. Good way to get rid of that cheap skirting too, that stuff is fuzzy and hard to work with. Not much of an it left though now haha. 

I'm thinking I might add a hammer thong too. Just cuz 

Lucky nephew with an Unc who just made him a real cowboy gun holster.

He'll be all set up to catch those dastardly piggy-bank robbers

36 minutes ago, fredk said:

Lucky nephew with an Unc who just made him a real cowboy gun holster.

He'll be all set up to catch those dastardly piggy-bank robbers

Or be the one robbing them... I wouldn't put it past him... He can cause some mischief I reckon. 

It is really over built tho, 10/12 oz saddle skirting for all of it haha. The little cap gun only weighs a few ounces hahaha although that's unloaded... We all know how heavy them 8 shot ring caps can get... Might add a gram or two!

umm, are ya gonna make an ammo pouch for them 8 shot cartyriges?

8 minutes ago, fredk said:

umm, are ya gonna make an ammo pouch for them 8 shot cartyriges?

I hadn't thought too but that sounds like a good idea! Just a little box type thing to stuff a bunch into?

Well no decent cowboy is gonna go around with only 8 shots. He's gonna need a lot more for those gunfights.

Have you any conchos? put a star one on the pouch?

I don't, I wish I did. I will have to figure out how to make a pouch for those caps now haha. 

Up to you how far you wanna go; I'd make a simple one. One big back piece which includes the front flap. A bit of a welt and one front piece. The flap part of the back comes over the top and is held closed by a Sam Brown stud. One wide-ish bit on the back for the belt to slip thru. The belt loop can be riveted on. Using soft leather for the front it'll stretch enough to hold a whole bunch of 8 round caps.

What a GREAT uncle!! That's SOoooo cool, especially for a 5yo. It's something he'll appreciate more and more as the years go by - it looks sturdy enough to stand up to a rambunctious kid! LOL!

Lucky boy!  I didn't realize you could still buy cap guns. How'd they let that slip through? I fondly remember my Fanner 50's. Now, there was some firepower!

Jeff

10 hours ago, fredk said:

Up to you how far you wanna go; I'd make a simple one. One big back piece which includes the front flap. A bit of a welt and one front piece. The flap part of the back comes over the top and is held closed by a Sam Brown stud. One wide-ish bit on the back for the belt to slip thru. The belt loop can be riveted on. Using soft leather for the front it'll stretch enough to hold a whole bunch of 8 round caps.

I'll have to use a strap or snap as I don't have any sort use. But I think the construction is a good method.

31 minutes ago, alpha2 said:

Lucky boy!  I didn't realize you could still buy cap guns. How'd they let that slip through? I fondly remember my Fanner 50's. Now, there was some firepower!

Jeff

It isn't full size and probably not as good as they used to be. I bought it on Amazon haha.

5 hours ago, JazzBass said:

What a GREAT uncle!! That's SOoooo cool, especially for a 5yo. It's something he'll appreciate more and more as the years go by - it looks sturdy enough to stand up to a rambunctious kid! LOL!

Thanks!

55 minutes ago, Stetson912 said:

I'll have to use a strap or snap as I don't have any sort use. But I think the construction is a good method.

Maybe use a slit and a big button or wood toggle - easier for wee hands. . . . and quicker cos yer cowboy haz gotta get to his ammo quick afore he's a deader

edit; PS. I think I'll knock one up tonite or tomorrow, jus cos I wanna.

Edited by fredk

Awesome, I'm going to o do the same. I think it's a good idea.

41 minutes ago, Stetson912 said:

Awesome, I'm going to o do the same. I think it's a good idea.

:yeah:

I'll be making to the pattern I suggested but it'll be fancy cos I'll do it as a holster for my new cell phone

Off to sort out the leather now. . . . .

Awesome, I'd like to see it when you're done. 

Now you kNOW where that little fella is headed every time he gits a new shootin' iron ;)

Very cool clintock. 

Yeah, I'm afraid you're right jls haha. But that's ok with me. 

Ha, very AWESOME !!!! I have two nephews that are huge fans of guns n holsters. One of my brothers is SO anti gun, but my nephew(he's 4) was  just in awe when he saw me with my gun holstered on my side. My other nephew(5), I made a lil rifle sling his daddy is a huge hunter and a forest fire fighter so no biggie with him. I'm making a couple holsters for Christmas for them. Thanks for this post, it's just too cool !!!

4 hours ago, Eddie Q said:

Ha, very AWESOME !!!! I have two nephews that are huge fans of guns n holsters. One of my brothers is SO anti gun, but my nephew(he's 4) was  just in awe when he saw me with my gun holstered on my side. My other nephew(5), I made a lil rifle sling his daddy is a huge hunter and a forest fire fighter so no biggie with him. I'm making a couple holsters for Christmas for them. Thanks for this post, it's just too cool !!!

I'm sorry your brother is weird hehe, nah I'm just teasing. To each their own I suppose. I'm sure your nephews will love their own rig. They'll be out catching bandits.... Or robbing stagecoaches... In no time!

2 minutes ago, Stetson912 said:

I'm sorry your brother is weird hehe, nah I'm just teasing. To each their own I suppose. I'm sure your nephews will love their own rig. They'll be out catching bandits.... Or robbing stagecoaches... In no time!

Haha...just don't say he'll be playing "Cowboys and Indians".

Current "PC" is truly ridiculous! I was clandestinely  hoping that the "Redskins" would change their name to the "Washington Rednecks"....wonder what would be said about that, by those who need crayons and puppies in their "safe space".
...ah, but I'm just spewing. Never mind. LOL!