Resin

Tooling Weighted Lines

So Im curious as to how yall tool weighted lines. Im working on a piece that is going to feature the ogham alphabet and after cutting the lines with the swivel knife Im at a loss for what to do. Do I just leave it like that?

Ogham, is a single straight line alphabet, so if you cut it definition becomes harder. I am showing ogham and latin for H, usually they would have been on the corner of a post.

image.png.f6670fb5e3439e2b0d2ea718753de6c3.png

image.png.9e0fa59c23f7146d8a940242f6c31dbb.png

(from Wikipedia)

You could add definition by shaing one side, or both, but having tried that with Runes it looks odd to me. When I did runes I built them up a bit, cut the outline and shaded from the white area to the cut. It was about 30 years back, so I have no photos sorry.

image.png.4e8ba397f4c1f4b61805d933b62fac05.png

If it were authenticity you were looking for, single cut, sharply bevelled would give the shape of cuts in wood or stone.

I would use a groover to cut a, er. . . groove, rather than a cut line. I use woodcarver's V and U chisels for cutting certain grooves. I also sometimes, rarely, use the Tandy V gouge : https://www.tandyleather.eu/en/product/craftool-adjustable-v-gouge-2

37 minutes ago, fredk said:

I would use a groover to cut a, er. . . groove, rather than a cut line. I use woodcarver's V and U chisels for cutting certain grooves. I also sometimes, rarely, use the Tandy V gouge : https://www.tandyleather.eu/en/product/craftool-adjustable-v-gouge-2

That's a good shout, too, I'd have never thought of it,

H

Even tho the OP has cut his lines he can use those to guide a groover. A stitching groover would do the job too

Well I can always remake no problem. Only a bit of leather will be lost as I am doing a bookmark. I may use the piece to test both of yalls ideas and see which one I want to use more