I see Sam Andrews did yet another video.  I came across it by accident. NOW, he's never gonna be purdy as me, and I couldn't personally listen to that tone for extended periods.  BUT, he's got some very concise and to the point demo going on that folks wanting to make their own holster patterns might want to check out.

GOOD NEWS (and one of the things I like about Sam) is he doesn't spend an hour getting to the point.  This video is 12 minutes 'n' change, and involves more useful info that some spending an hour and a half ...

But, Sam - friend - manila folders were big in the 70's ... but now there's 10 places in town that will sell you card stock by the ream ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PdKDmcmu8k

Twelve minutes of my time well spent...and the only thing I had to pay for it was attention! Very good, cut-to-the-chase, info on the flat-back (saddle style, as he calls 'em) holsters...no fluffery. Thanks for posting, Jeff!

Yeah, see tha's what I'm talkin bout rot cheer, boy ;)  12 min and got more useful info than some folks turn makin a holster into a 5 part mini series :rofl:

Video settings, speed 2x, now 6 minutes and done.  Plus, changes the tone of Sam if you so desire.  Awesome video, to go along with that Duncan mold I just acquired... can't wait.  Thanks for pointing the way!

YinTx

Bump the feed speed! You boys way ahead o' me!  I'm just a simple country boy... just watch half 'n' it  :rofl:

But realistically, if it were necessary to make a video on this I likely would.  But as long as Sam can make the point without dragging out a bunch of other "stuff", I'll just refer you to his.

Other side of the coin, I actually saw one (I had to FF thru, couldn't sit it out) where a guy was going to cover the same territory - make a stitch pattern for a 2-piece holster.  Video was over an hour (if you watched it without FF) and it was around 15 minute mark when the guy actually got around to drawing the first line on the paper :rolleyes2:

I don't make holsters, and probably never will unless somebody asks me to make one for 'em.  But still learned a thing or two that will be helpful for other items!   I love to learn.  Agreed about Sam's voice - and feel badly for his wife LOL.  But I suppose like anything you get used to it....  There are other youtubers that I check out often and have to cringe through their voice, but the content makes it worthwhile.  There are one or two others that I just can't get past.  LOL.

But, this does bring a question to mind @JLSleather.  I know you do your own designs, and curious if you "get it right" first time every time now, or go through iterations?   And if mostly first time, how many did it take you to get there?   Just curious and food for thought!

- Bill

I sometimes get what i want the first time.  Usually, 2nd time the charm ... often find some small something that I want to adjust. 

It has happened that I liked the first result and kept it as is. It has also happened that I (once) made the same holster four times before I was happy with it - but don't tell the others ... that's 'tween you 'n' me ;)

9 hours ago, JLSleather said:

Bump the feed speed! You boys way ahead o' me!  I'm just a simple country boy... just watch half 'n' it  :rofl:

But realistically, if it were necessary to make a video on this I likely would.  But as long as Sam can make the point without dragging out a bunch of other "stuff", I'll just refer you to his.

Other side of the coin, I actually saw one (I had to FF thru, couldn't sit it out) where a guy was going to cover the same territory - make a stitch pattern for a 2-piece holster.  Video was over an hour (if you watched it without FF) and it was around 15 minute mark when the guy actually got around to drawing the first line on the paper :rolleyes2:

I'd love to see one of your videos. Got a link to any?

12 minutes ago, IngleGunLeather said:

Got a link to any?

Not about that. I thought about this, but now that Sam dun covered it, kinda pointless to make another one says the same thing (there's enuf o that goin on already).

But I did do a quick one about that "fade" that some leather guy "invents" every other year or so (Gibson guitars called it "sunburst" about 70 years ago, but that doesn't stop folks from "coming up with it" agin!).  But while it's been done forever, didn't seem like anybody was showing it done.  In fact, it seemed more often than not, folks was trying to make it seem like it was some very difficult thing to "aspire" to do "someday" :rofl:  So the video rather quickly shows how to do it, and pokes a bit of fun at those people, at the same time ;)

See it at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMVHrTPf1AQ

Disclaimer, though:  If you wade through the intro and the outro (?) you could end up blowin' off like a full SIX MINS ;)

2 hours ago, JLSleather said:

Not about that. I thought about this, but now that Sam dun covered it, kinda pointless to make another one says the same thing (there's enuf o that goin on already).

But I did do a quick one about that "fade" that some leather guy "invents" every other year or so (Gibson guitars called it "sunburst" about 70 years ago, but that doesn't stop folks from "coming up with it" agin!).  But while it's been done forever, didn't seem like anybody was showing it done.  In fact, it seemed more often than not, folks was trying to make it seem like it was some very difficult thing to "aspire" to do "someday" :rofl:  So the video rather quickly shows how to do it, and pokes a bit of fun at those people, at the same time ;)

See it at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMVHrTPf1AQ

Disclaimer, though:  If you wade through the intro and the outro (?) you could end up blowin' off like a full SIX MINS ;)

I got bored in the first 10 seconds. 

8 hours ago, IngleGunLeather said:

I got bored in the first 10 seconds. 

Sorry, Jason.  Maybe able ta help ya next time.

34 minutes ago, dikman said:

sound quality on that video of

I think Sam's voice is distinctive - seems some folks really like it.  Part of it I think is the size of that building changes it too. 

But, I was just "funnin" about that -- the important thing is the CONTENT of the video, which is actually quite good by comparison to many others.  Those boys could sound like little girls, and the fact that they deliver usable content in quick time STILL git my vote ;)

SO THEN:  Lemme tell this joke about the way forums sometimes go, and then maybe we just "flush" this and reset it from scratch ..

• Folks doin' research, trying to invent drugs to aid the elderly with memory.  So the pill is given to a group of older people for a period.  Then they're asked some questions, recorded to check the results of the meds. 
  • First guy is asked 'what's 2+2" and he answers '9'.  Strike 1. 
  • Second guy gits same question, and he says that 2 + 2 is "tuesday".  Strike 2. 
  • Third guy is asked, and answers that 2+2 is "4".  Yes, that's correct - how did you come up with that answer?  And the guy says 'its simple - you just subtract 9 from tuesday and there ya go"

ALRIGHTEY THEN ....

Hey, leather crafters - particularly holster makers!  There's a video with useful information which may help you, or perhaps you'll simply enjoy hearing. Catch it on demand at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PdKDmcmu8k

Oh, not that it matters, perhaps, but this is not how I do it.  Still, I thought it was a very clear idea, clearly presented.

Having said that, it's Christmas, right?  So lemme 'purdy up' yet another pattern for the folks in general - up shortly ;)

2 hours ago, JLSleather said:
  • Folks doin' research, trying to invent drugs to aid the elderly with memory.  So the pill is given to a group of older people for a period.  Then they're asked some questions, recorded to check the results of the meds. 
  • First guy is asked 'what's 2+2" and he answers '9'.  Strike 1. 
  • Second guy gits same question, and he says that 2 + 2 is "tuesday".  Strike 2. 
  • Third guy is asked, and answers that 2+2 is "4".  Yes, that's correct - how did you come up with that answer?  And the guy says 'its simple - you just subtract 9 from tuesday and there ya go"

ROFL  ... I wish I had that joke in my arsenal when I used to work with drug companies, they would've loved it!

And as you said, content is king!  I can put up with quirks,  a bit long-winded, and even awful background music as long as I learn something good!

- Bill

2 hours ago, billybopp said:

as you said, content is king!

Then try this download ... for the LCR revolver.  I put it on the site, so you won't accidentally download it and be bored by the content.  The pocket is what you need .. the rest you can alter / adjust to suit your taste.

LCR pattern

Hmmm.. is that not as popular a little gun as it used to be, or is it just downloads in general getting slower?  Only 26 downloads in almost 24 hours :o  Maybe they just down overall?  Only 219 downloaded holster patterns in last 30 days! 

JLS, I wasn't knocking Sam, I've watched his other longer video a couple of times, it's excellent, and as you say the content is very good. It's just that the sound quality on this one isn't up to the standard of the longer one.

6 minutes ago, dikman said:

JLS, I wasn't knocking Sam

Me, neither-- and I didn't take it that way.  Actually just posted to point out that there was a video that some would find useful without all the "fluff" and hype.