Sign in to follow this  
Bender

Yet another question

Well I did do my due diligence and ran some searches here but came up with nothing clear cut. This question would probably really be for folks that do machine sewing.

I would like to do a hem on a couple of our products. Right now we're, measuring, gluing, folding, then clamping. We have  a Tuff Sew (Sail Rite?) 9" Deluxe Super Straight stitch walking foot machine. We're wanting to run simple straight hems on 4 oz upholstery leather. 

Google searches turned up this:

https://www.ebay.com/i/162640916131?chn=ps&var=461641406941

and this:

http://www.techsew.com/plain-hemmer.html

Anybody got a clue if one of these, or perhaps some other unit might work for our machine? I'm not getting anywhere by attempting to contact the attachment manufacturers and Tuff sew does not carry a specific recommended attachment. 

I can always attach a pic of the machine, the feet and the plate if that would help.

Patience would be appreciated also :) Everything I know about sewing, and machine repair and set up (what little I do know) is entirely self taught.

Oh and when looking at hem sizes for various attachments how does that measurement work out? For example we're taking the leather and measuring 1" from edge and folding over that edge to meet the line that the 1" measure lays out. Is that a 1" hem or a 1/2" hem?

Aha! Mea culpa !

I missed it that there was a separate forum for that.

:crazy:

A couple of pictures of what you are trying to fold (hem) would be a help. Would the fold (hem) be hidden if so you can get away with a raw edge hemmer? If you are going to be see the fold (hem) I would suggest a finish edge hemmer or use a double fold binder attachment. Whichever way you decide to go the two screw holes that these accessories are attached to the bed of the sewing machine need to be checked as some are not factory threaded to accept the hold down screws like a Reliable Barracuda that I owned and will need to be tapped.

I don't think a 1/2" standard raw edge or finish edge hemmer is going to have wide enough openings to allow for 4oz leather to go through.

kgg 

Most of the good quality hemmers are designed to fit onto full size industrial machines. The right angles binders that do inside curves require a special presser foot set and a throat plate with a cutout for the mouth of the folder. Some even have a special feed dog that goes with the set. Chances are somewhere between null and void that anything like that will fit your portable walking foot machine.

I think your best bet is to contact Sailrite and see what they can sell you that they have for their portable machines (LS and LZ series).

Thank you! Given an actual model designation to look for I can go back and look again at Sail Rite

Now FWIW, I have attached a pic of the hemming I'm doing with the glue and fold method to keep it together until I sew it down. PITA but it working better than trying to fold it over as I go along sewing. Tried that on a piece of scrap and it was horrible.

Finished Product Small Pic.jpg

Last week i made a verry simple bag (a projectbag for my wife) and wanted some folded leather around it (to keep them open)

i dohave some hemmers but they were nof big enough

i did try to fold the leather with a steam iron and that did work out verry well in this case

the leather was nof verry thick, i did use steam but did not make the leather complete wett

and after it had the right form a waited about 15 minutes and than use sewed it (without glue)

i donot know if this works with al kinds of leather but in this case it worked (i am not verry experienced with leatherwork)

image.jpeg

I am up against this same issue. Searching all over for a hemmer foot or attachment that will fold 15oz waxed canvas and leather. Contacted sail rite and they said they haven't found one that works yet. 

If I have any luck i'll post here.