I am currently stitching all my wallets by hand because I like the way the thicker thread looks. I have a Consew 207rb5 that I use for any hidden stitches but it will not handle a large enough thread to replace hand sewing the visable areas. Being I am sewing wallets with 3-4oz Harness Leather it’s also crucial to have a feed dog that will not chew up the finished side of the leather. Any suggestions on alternatives to hand sewing that will give the same look with the larger thread?

4C97CCDB-C6F0-4984-B90F-82EC81522075.jpeg

Campbell's sewing machine?  (needle/awl machine).  Still not really a saddle stitch, but gets you closer.  Not sure it'll work on the thinner stuff either.  I think if a machine that saddle stitched thick thread on thin leather without marking the leather existed, everyone would be using it.

YinTx

8 hours ago, YinTx said:

Campbell's sewing machine?  (needle/awl machine).  Still not really a saddle stitch, but gets you closer.  Not sure it'll work on the thinner stuff either.  I think if a machine that saddle stitched thick thread on thin leather without marking the leather existed, everyone would be using it.

YinTx

Thanks for the advice, I’ll take a look.

Come on guys, no one has any advice?

I'm gonna dare say there are quite a few who would be interested in a machine that reliably stitches big bold thread in light material.

Griff, what total thickness of leather are you sewing (minimum and maximum), what thickness of thread would you like to use, and how much are you willing to spend? With the information you've given us so far you've asked the equivalent of "which car should I buy, my passengers weigh 150lb".

The problem that people who transition from hand sewing to machine sewing heavy threads encounter the most is that a machine performs a different stitch so has a far narrower range of thread/material combinations that it can work with. I would, for instance, be able to sew two pieces of thin leather together with a very heavy thread (18/6 linen for instance, just under 1mm thickness). However I know of no machine that could sew the same leather with that thread because it needs to conceal the lockstotxh knot inside the work.

@Matt S I am sewing 2-5 layers of 3-4oz Harness or bridle leather. I would like to be able to sew t270 thread.