Threadbeat

Stitch length regulator singer 241-12

So, I have been trying to shorten my stitch length on my 241-12 forever... I FINALLY got the length to the tiniest stitch possible, as a test- now I cannot for the life of me get it to lengthen again- it’s like the feed dogs are barely moving material now. HELP! What was a cosmetic issue just turned into a completely different monster...

suggestions, please!

Still looking for help on this issue...!

Something is locked up for sure.  Any pics available of the machine?

glenn

When you push the button down while turning the handwheel,keep turning it until it goes into the slot,keep pushing it down & turn the wheel towards you for a longer stitch.Never push the button when the machine is in motion.

Thanks guys- I will try again... I just swapped out that machine head for a singer 111, so I can work on the 241 issue on the side- hopefully I can get it going again with a usable stitch w/o having to dismantle anything too crazy. 

I really don’t think I pushed the plunger down while the machine was running/ engaged , but if I did, could that be the issue?

how does one troubleshoot that- if that is what happened?

There is no troubleshooting,just get the button in the slot & push the handwheel towards you for a longer stitch.When you force it all the way long or short you have to give it that much force to get it to change.

I think he may be tripped safety clutch, I was confused like this. When you increase stitch it's tight enough to trip clutch and then it starts feeling like something "jamming".

5 hours ago, katit said:

I think he may be tripped safety clutch, I was confused like this. When you increase stitch it's tight enough to trip clutch and then it starts feeling like something "jamming".

@katit Your right sometimes this is the case but this model of Singer doesn't have a safety clutch.

I have the same problem. I even broke the plunger trying to solve it. It has been days now trying everything....but still jammed

now I am thinking I have tightened something or moved something of the stitch regulator. I love that old 241-13 but it has been days now trying to get it going again. in the meantime I have gerryd out a plunger but on the hunt to find another.

Any suggestions for an old geezer.

would appreciate very much.

On 12/9/2018 at 11:48 AM, Threadbeat said:

So, I have been trying to shorten my stitch length on my 241-12 forever... I FINALLY got the length to the tiniest stitch possible, as a test- now I cannot for the life of me get it to lengthen again- it’s like the feed dogs are barely moving material now. HELP! What was a cosmetic issue just turned into a completely different monster...

suggestions, please!

I have the same problem......did you ever solve it?

Old dried up oil can lock the stitch length mechanism - applying heat to the stitch length bits under the bed can go a long way toward freeing it up.   Use a blow drier or other heat source until it’s too hot to hold with bare fingers - that point is about 140 degrees.

Thanks...I might have to try that....but first I have to fix the push button assembly

since I busted it tryin too force  the wheel too much.  Today...I went back to look at

the length regulator....loosened the 2 screws on the right hand gear and pushed

it round 1/2 turn....hoping to push myself from extreme small stitch to long stitch.

I then had to retime the hook/ bobbin assembly.....Chechaflo has a ( you tube video

on timing a 241-12 ) .....yes..it pushed me from small length stitch to long longest

length.....I can live with that.....it still may be jammed but if it is ...I will try your 

solution.

Thank you

If you’ve had it apart and oiled the moving parts that should take care of any stickiness from old oil.   Once it moves a little it’s fast to loosen up.

I really enjoy chechaflo’s upholstery videos.  His slow sewing style matches how my brain works, and his use of glue on almost everything has been an eye opener.   

Yay ! for Chechaflo

I am now going to try finding a plunger for the old Singer 241-13.

I have tracked it to # 143207 

Do you have suggestions for where I can get one?

33 minutes ago, brocken said:

Do you have suggestions for where I can get one?

An industrial sewing shop is very good at tracking down parts of all kinds.   Give these guys a call.

https://www.tolindsewmach.com/