Kryptonite

How to remove rusted seized needle plate screws?

Hi Guys,

I bought a Consew 225 for a song. Other than rusted slide and needle plates it looked pretty good and appeared to be in time. After working with it the two needle plate screws won't release. I've had them drenched in WD-40 for a day and a half. I know the next step is likely heat, which I've never done. Can someone share their expertise in removing the needle plate screws? What is the easiest way? I don't want to strip the heads forcing a drill out. And I think the bobbin related screws are rusted in place too.

Thank you,

Will in Central Florida

screwed.jpg

Soak with PB Blaster.  Keep wet for a couple days.  Than use a long screw driver and

tap with hammer.   You can dissolve plates, screws and other loose metal items with

The Works a degradable bowl cleaner.  Soon as dry  oil  well.

Lmk beat me to it.

Edited by JJN
Already answered

One more vote for PB blaster.

Also consider a right-angle offset screw driver. It allows you to really set the screw bit squared into the slot and gives greater torque. I use the small ratcheting one by General Tools and it's a life saver.

Also, alternate from one screw to the other. Sometimes with needle plates loosening one screw even a small amount will unlock the other screw that seemed frozen.

If you have a small punch or even an all metal old screwdriver lay it down @ an angle & hit the outer part of the screw in the slot the direction to unloosen it works everytime for me.

Very cool guys!

I'm off to Walmart for some PB Blaster. Tomorrow I will follow Cowboy Bob's hit to spin method. I will look into the angled screw driver, another reason to buy a new toy.

More later... :rockon:

Thanks,

Will

I’ve had success with Kroil oil. 

First I’d get a nice fitting screwdriver bit that perfectly fits the screw so it can actually apply good torque.  Use a dremel tool to slightly thin down a nice wide bit until it just fits the slot, or use a dial caliper to measure the length and width and order the right size from Brownells gunsmith supplies.  Their bits are available in .005” increments in width and various lengths.

Do you notice how thin the cast iron is where it’s tapped for screw threads?  Personally this is one of the few situations I wouldn’t tap on the screw with a light hammer since it could create a much more difficult to fix problem.

Applying heat to the head of the screw with a propane torch can be done with very little risk. Simply heat it until a drop of water just starts to boil and stop.  That’s not much over 200 degrees, but it will thin any oil allowing it to penetrate much better and hopefully make it just easy enough to loosen.  

Also don’t forget to remove the presser feet and needle and get a  screw bit extension that allows a lot of downward pressure while remaining perfectly vertical.  I like to turn the bit extension with a small wrench.   

Edited by DonInReno

Get a short screwdriver that uses  1/4 inch replaceable tips.   Choose a tip that is a PERFECT fit in the slot, or grind a little to get a PERFECT fit.   Use the screwdriver handle to exert STRONG downward pressure, and turn it using a 1/4 inch wrench directly on the tip.  That usually works for me.  If you have already boogered  up the slot, then all bets are off !!

Edited by Cascabel
misspelling

22 hours ago, Hockeymender said:

I’ve had success with Kroil oil. 

I have rebuilt a few Old Motorcycles and Kroil is the best thing on the market ..

The best penetrating oil i have ever used is a mix of   1/2 Break fluid  1/2 acetone  very slight tap's very tiny hammer . 

Thanks to everyone for their input... you guys are the best. :)

I got every screw out with almost no damage. All the screws soaked overnight in PB Blaster. The 2 needle plate screws came out with a sharp little hit from corner of a chisel, great tip Bob, it was the ticket! The 2 tiny gib screws holding the bobbin case needed 20-30 little taps of a small hammer hitting a screwdriver seated in the slot, mimicking a vibration thing. The machine sews great - money well spent.

Thanks guys,

Will in Central Florida

Edited by Kryptonite

Great news - good job!