PPS43

First machine- are any of these good?

Hi All, Thanks for such a great forum!

I’m helping my wife find a sewing machine for her leather work. She knows how to sew on a machine, but has been hand stitching her leather projects so far. She’s a hobbyist at the moment, but people are already asking her to do work for them.  I’d like to get her a machine that will allow her to sew knife sheaths, messenger and camera bags, straps, notebook covers and also costume pieces (think viking style). 

I’ve found a few machines locally (Atlanta), all from sewing machine repair shops. They have all been serviced and are working now, so they're not project machines. (I have enough of those already!)

Please see pics- I’ll include one or two of each machine, but I have more if you need to see something specific. 

The first one is a Singer 211G 155 with a table, new hook and clutch motor. This machine is not fully done, but is close. (Servo is optional for $100) 90 day warranty. $650UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_598.thumb.jpg.d8fbc16324dc5081505639ee5534f5df.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_599.thumb.jpg.1a78a3c60a61d50a8fdffd504bf9e1e1.jpg

Next is an Adler 67-GK373 with reverse, walking foot, new top, legs and motor. $695 with NO warranty.WStg80YnQiSNUBAtwUH38g_thumb_591.thumb.jpg.b23abe4058fa062105ebc919393e8da7.jpg

Lastly, a Mercury (branded United) M-120-1 with Cylinder arm, 550w servo motor,  thread stand etc. for $1895 with 90 day warranty. Sorry for all the stuff sitting one this machine. It actually looks amazing. And looks similar to some of the Cowboy machines in the shape of the body.
5c0d99942008b_ITeGMldRUynY0vvfIC0EA_thumb_58c.thumb.jpg.4739ea3c2feb4d1f64fd3f8c70566fd8.jpg5c0d99d1c6c95_cLDzF27mTCeS5eyR9GbAA_thumb_58d.thumb.jpg.8b92b462d24e4cf2353cc991dc4592cf.jpg

So- if you care to share your thoughts I will greatly appreciate it. 
I’m under no real pressure to get one (other than it would make an awesome Christmas gift) so if none of these looks good, or are priced wrong, let me know.

Thanks again and happy sewing!
PPS43

Knife sheaths could be a struggle with those machines. As for the Viking gear, just how thick is it?

The Singer doesn't have reverse but will have the advantage that parts and feet will be cheaper and possibly more readily available. The United isn't a walking foot. Adler I'll leave for others with more knowledge of their capabilities. You will probably need to factor in a servo, however, regardless of what you buy.

Good catch on the United. The salesman insisted this one was the ultimate for leather! Can a walking foot be put on this machine?

I think the knife sheaths would be the heaviest at maybe 1/4" thick total with welt. Maybe a tiny bit more. The viking gear- hard to say- she hasn't done any yet but is crazy about it, so I know it's coming.

Agree 100% on the servo.

Thanks again.

Hmm, "ultimate for leather"? I'd be wary of anything that salesman might say. No, can't be converted to a walking foot. Don't get me wrong, it can probably sew leather ok, within it's limitations, but I think for your wife you'd ideally be looking at a walking foot. That Singer should be good for 3/8" under the feet, I'd guess that the Adler is the same. The Adler looks like it's been resprayed.

10 minutes ago, PPS43 said:

Good catch on the United. The salesman insisted this one was the ultimate for leather! Can a walking foot be put on this machine?

I think the knife sheaths would be the heaviest at maybe 1/4" thick total with welt. Maybe a tiny bit more. The viking gear- hard to say- she hasn't done any yet but is crazy about it, so I know it's coming.

Agree 100% on the servo.

Thanks again.

Unless a dealer has experience with real leather sewing machines, they will try to sell you an upholstery grade machine as a "leather sewing machine." As far as this forum is concerned, this is a real leather sewing machine for knife sheathes and holsters. Compare its specs with those of the machines you have been looking at. The differences should be obvious. I consider this an entry level real leather sewing machine.

To answer your question about adding a walking foot to a non-walking foot machine, NO. A sewing machine is either a walking foot machine, needle feed machine, or bottom feed machine. While walking foot machines come in several flavors, they all have three bars coming down and two alternating feet, as opposed to just two bars and one foot on a straight stitch machine.

To add to my last reply, knife sheathes need stronger thread than an upholstery grade machine can handle. I use #277 on the top and bottom for sheathes and holsters up to 3/8 inch thick, then move up to #346 for anything thicker. Upholstery machines max out with #138 thread (22 pounds test). Here is a thread and needle chart that defines the sizes and how they work together.

Gentleman, thanks for your astute observations. I feel like I dodged a bullet thanks to your advice and input. The United machine, which is the same price as the Cowboy, was out of my budget, but I was considering it. Now I'll study the CB3200.

Thanks!

Take the Mod's advice and get something NEW and proven, with local retailer support and service that you may need.

My choice between the Cowboy 3200 and the Cobra class 3 like I recently bought, was finally determined by the fact that the dealer I bought the Cobra from was close to where I live and their customer support is top level.

You get what you pay for my Friend. Try to do it right the FIRST time :)

Sam

That Mercury is the only one that can use thicker thread - but it’s a low end model with bottom feed only and is priced higher than similar new models.  Google GA5-1 and you’ll find a dozen companies from all over the world selling their branded version.  At $500 it would be a deal, $900 is what I’d consider market rate, but at $1,900 someone is pulling your leg.  Look at the used machines on this site and there are full walking foot 441 clones for that price.

You didn't mention before that you may have been considering a CB3200. If you had then you would have been advised to buy that in preference to the others, as the only thing they all have in common is that they're industrial sewing machines! The 3200 should be a good fit for what your wife wants to make.

Hi dikman,

just to be clear, even though I had watched a few videos on this machine, I had not considered the CB3200 prior to Wizcrafts link to the page on Toledo's page and his advice. My initial search for a machine was targeting sub $1000 machines, ideally in my area for ease of service. The general thought seems to be that a machine in this range will not do what we expect it too, so I'm upping the ante.

Thanks again for all the great input.