Sign in to follow this  
huckleberrycoast

What are these 100 year old buttons called? Super hard to find!

Hi, new to the forums, please let me know if you can help ID this type of button. It was used on a 100 year old briefcase bag, all of the closures where linen thread that wrapped around the long shanked button to close. The button shank poked through the leather and the only thing securing it on the back side was a little roll of leather pushed through the eyelet (see photo of backside). Pretty nifty.

IMG_6294.jpg

IMG_6297.jpg

I cannot quite see the detail of the button. Maybe a Sam Brown stud ...? Other ideas? Anybody?

Isn't that a raised  concho button? I understand the bottom picture is the back side. These days concho buttons mostly come as screwed in buttons (they come hollow with a crew) so there is no need to make anything fancy on the backside.

The principle is the same, raised button with thread on the other side to wrap around the button.

I recently read that some re-enactors will cast their own buttons for authenticity. Another idea would be long Chicago screws.  You could put a washer on the screw side to keep it snug to the flap. Lock-tite if you prefer.