sheldonesh

C.S. Osborne No. 86 splitter restoration

Nice looking job and more importantly, it works well.

Great job i had the same splitter on my bench for many years,  just got a good deal on a 84 splitter so i have retired it. I  was thinking of 

selling it but don't think i will,  its given me years of great service - if my bench was bigger i would have both the splitters on there.  The 86 just set up

for splitting looping,  anyone thinking of buying a pretty cheap and easy to use,  you could do lot worse than the 86 - yes it does not do lap skives

but if you are handy with a round knife you can achieve them.  Here in the UK they are around £465 not so cheap- you may think,  but i have had mine

20 odd years and i bet there is even more than 20 years still left in the blade.

Once again great job on the restoration on it thanks for video of the process.

all the best JCUK

Yeah i wished it did lap skives, for now my round knife will work. I bought a lot of tools and that was included. Very happy with my purchase. Its hard to sell old tools that you've used for years. I can relate with you

When you say a lap skive do you mean a tapered skive like used when joining two leather strips together? The reason I ask is that I have been looking at getting one of these and I believe the 86a will do this. I don’t think I would need the extra two inch width the (substantially dearer) 84 offers

Take look at these 

Hope this helps

JCUK

Edited by jcuk
add more videos

Thanks  JCUK, I will have a good look at them later. While I am on here, since you have had your machine an it is still performing well how do you sharpen your blade?

Pretty much the same as Sheldonesh does in his restoration, only sometimes i get a Farrier to run it under his buffing machine to put a nice polished edge on it -

but not to long as to get it too hot to lose it's temper or possibly warp the blade That is the advise he gave me, it seems to work well.  I find the more my tools have good polished edge the they are better to use.

Here also is another video showing how to sharpen the blade.

Hope this helps

JCUK

PS All these splitter videos are your binge viewing for tonight get the beer and popcorn in

Edited by jcuk