ShellyAnn

Want to start using an airbrush. Please Help!

I have been dying with a wool dauber and paintbrushes for some time now and would really like to use an airbrush. I find that when I use brushes and daubers my dye job is uneven and I end up putting on too many coats trying to even it out which results in my work coming out too dark.  I have been looking around the forums for tips on what type of airbrush to buy but I haven't really found much pertaining to a preferred brand and why it is better than another. What kind of tip size is recommended and how much dye should it be able to hold?

Also I have never used and airbrush so I don't quite understand the difference between the way it feeds the dye and which is better. Gravity vs Siphon. If anyone has any recommendations it would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by ShellyAnn

That's a very broad question.  As a rule, the size of the job sets the need for the brush. Most of us don't need to spray 4-6" wide paths (though we may spray 6" surfaces, just not in one pass). And most of us dont need to spray hair-thin detail lines.  This probably rules out the highest precision and the least precision brushes.

Most brushes widely available can spray a range of like 1/64" wide to 2" wide just by adjusting the distance from the work, thickness of the color, and air pressure.  In fact most of that is easily done with one finger without stopping.  I like a dual-action, siphon feed brush. 

For general information from people who REALLY DO know the difference, check this: http://www.airbrushguru.com/choosing-the-right-airbrush.html

Looking at the quality of your work, I'd say you have invested a decent amount of time and effort in your leather craft, so I'll give you a leather specific response as best I can.  My first airbrush was a dual action Paasche VL.  It was a good starter brush and it served me well for many years.  It had a .5 needle and a.3 needle in the box so I could vary the spray for nearly anything a leatherworker could ever need.  Once I moved to acrylics, the Paasche would clog up a lot regardless of how thin my paint was so I looked for alternatives.  Its still fine for dyes though.  its my black brush now.

I upgraded to a couple of Iwata a few years ago, with in gravity feed and in siphon feed.  I use both equally.  For larger coverage, siphon feed is good with a bigger needle (Means a bigger hole and more flow) and the opposite is true for details.  The gravity feed is great for smaller areas and if you have to change colors often, especially if you work with spraying acrylics say on one of your fish.

Usually, you get what you pay for and the Iwata certainly has a better spray and its easier to control than the Paasche.  However, I was turned on to some chinese made copies of the Iwata and frankly, they're fantastic.  At 35 bucks on Amazon, you can buy four of them and still have money left over for a compressor.  I'll see if I can find a link if you don't mind buying from China.

Now, a lot of folks like to cheap out on the compressor, but if you spend a lot of time with an airbrush, you will really do well to spend the money there.  Look for a model with reservoir tank to ensure consistent, pulse free spray, a moisture filter and most importantly, buy a quiet one.  I bought one that operates at 40 dB and I can barely hear it turn on.  Great for long days in the shop without the need for earplugs.  Speaking of, stay away from reed style compressors as they are obnoxiously  loud.

Lastly, look up Chris Wright on you tube.  He makes amazing leather art with an airbrush and he's starting a channel for tips and tricks videos for us leather workers.  

Thank you guys so much! I think I've settled on the Iwata-Medea Eclipse HP SBS Dual Action Side Feed Cup. The websites you guys linked have given me great information and helped me get a better understanding of what I'm looking for in an airbrush. I can't wait to try it out!

YouTube it. There's about a million hours of airbrush experience on YouTube from cleaning to streamlining to literally every minute aspect of airbrush types styles and price range. It took me a month to decide what set up was best for me and what I do with mine. Then it took me another month to learn the technique to actually use it. It takes real finesse and and control to get exactly what you're looking for, and some jobs are just not worth the time it takes to set up and tear down and clean up the whole thing. So while they are really great at some things, don't think like I did that it will solve all your problems haha.