js2rt

Confused about hand and priority terminology

I get confused when people talk about sewing right handed or left handed with right or left priority. Is there an easy explanation for these terms? For example, looking at Stohlman's method where you are sewing towards you with the with the awl holes angled so that the upper end is away from you is it as simple as being right handed when the awl is in your right hand and left priority because the left needle comes through first? If not, what is it? Now if I change so that I am sewing away from me (awl is still in my right hand and left needle comes through first ) does either the handedness or the priority change? Does placing the right needle on top of the left instead of underneath it change anything?

I think your understanding may be correct, at least that is how I took it as well but I think if you are sewing away from you, you reverse it all.

i gave up on the terminology and just stuck to sticking the item into the pony with the top of the slant facing towards me, and sew left handed/starting from left side (though i am right handed) towards myself, with casting on the left side.

if using reverse irons, then i change it to the right side..

I don't believe it makes any difference which way you sew, but you must duplicate the exact method completely with each stitch, so you get the same slant, tension and appearance on each stitch.

Personally, I have just been shown a great method. I now sew away from myself with a slight upward slant, with the left needle entering the awl hole first, then the right hand needle is inserted at 9 - 10 O'clock on the hole, and the first thread is placed outside of the second needle which helps to lock the thread.

1 hour ago, Rockoboy said:

I don't believe it makes any difference which way you sew, but you must duplicate the exact method completely with each stitch, so you get the same slant, tension and appearance on each stitch.

true that! thats what i told my kids.. consistency is key here ... doesnt matter if the slant is there or not.. just need to ensure that all the stitches are the same..

I finally had to give up on the terminology.

Here is (my) method.

Pick a front side for the stitch.

It doesn't matter which way the slant is... Towards me or away from me.

Which ever way the slants are going I pick the first hole on the end that is slanting away from the edge. So, if the slant is towards me I start on the back. If the slant is away from me I start at the front and work away from myself.

Now I put the needle through that hole and center my thread.

Now here is where that front and back come in.

Take the needle on the front and put it to the bottom of the next hole. Then take the back needle to the top of that hole.

Pull them snug, not super tight, snug.

Repeat over and over going slowly making sure to always keep the front at the bottom and the back to the top.

This makes a very presentable zig zag on the front and a straight line on the back.

That is good enough for me, for now.

I get then slant on the left, since I start on the left. With casting on the left, I get a straight stitch line at the back.. without casting (is that the correct term), I would get slants on both sides 

Edited by canonitr

@bikermutt07 i like your signature .. similar to what my wife says about me ... spend 1 grand and months to make something that could have been bought , for 20 times less..

I'm not paying 80 bucks for a belt!!! It's a strip of leather. How hard could it be? 4 years and 3 grand later.... I have a belt I can finally live with.

and did i mention, I bought the item as well....

Edited by canonitr