thatgriffguy

Leather suggestions please

I have been asked by a friend to make a few of these for his fire department buddies. They look simple enough but not sure which leather to use. I usually work with Traditional Harness but that’s a bit to fancy for this project. They will be hooked on a strap and used to carry radios by firemen so a strong leather is desired. I would appreciate any suggestions.

98B3D709-9CE2-4D3A-9EC9-554CD08DC3B7.jpeg

The gentlemen from Omaha have been buying 8-9oz veggie tan and dying it black for this project.

1 minute ago, ScoobyNewbie said:

The gentlemen from Omaha have been buying 8-9oz veggie tan and dying it black for this project.

Same here in Ohio...........

May God bless,

Dwight

What about using latigo since it will be around water from time to time between rain, snow melt, or hose spray?

Bridle is a little expensive but would be an excellent material for these holsters. Otherwise, I would probably use a latigo since you want a stiff, weather resistant material. A lot of guys do use veg tan since a lot of guys looking for custom radio straps also want it tooled.

Thanks for the replies! I considered bridle but the price seems a bit high. I will look at latigo. I would love using veg and dying it but I suck at finishing it as it is always stiff as a board.

If you have veg tan available that works well, just remember to lightly oil with neatsfoot right before you use the dye, I think the Feibings Pro keeps the leather a little more supple, and then do another light coat of oil afterwords.

For this application stiff leather is not a bad thing. 

2 minutes ago, Sceaden said:

If you have veg tan available that works well, just remember to lightly oil with neatsfoot right before you use the dye, I think the Feibings Pro keeps the leather a little more supple, and then do another light coat of oil afterwords.

For this application stiff leather is not a bad thing. 

Thank you for that! I will be dip dyeing the leather. I have 8-9oz veg on hand and plan to use that. So light coat of neatsfoot before dying and then after to seal the dye? 

Correct, but the neatsfoot doesn't seal the dye it just hydrates the leather. Think of the dying process like soaking your hand in rubbing alcohol, you need quite a bit of hydration afterwards or the leather is too dry. For a heavy duty application like this, I suggest something like multiple coats of Resolene as it will be used in a punishing environment. 

Edited by Sceaden

2 minutes ago, Sceaden said:

Correct, but the neatsfoot doesn't seal the dye it just hydrates the leather. Think of the dying process like soaking your hand in rubbing alcohol, you need quite a bit of hydration afterwards or the leather is too dry. For a heavy duty application like this, I suggest something like multiple coats of Resolene as it will be used in a punishing environment. 

Ahh, that makes complete sense. I appreciate your help.