booklady

Hot Stamping Machines- Need Guidance

Hi all,
I've been lurking for a bit and this is my first post- I know there is a lot of info below, but  I could really use some guidance regarding hot stamping machines. To get it out of the way early, I'm not especially interested in buying used/ off ebay. (frankly because I don't know exactly what to look for, and am concerned about not getting the right thing/getting ripped off, and this is my first real "big" equipment purchase and ebay feels risky for my first bigger investment) I'm a pretty small business so ideally it would be nice to start with something moderately priced (that is still good quality) before I invest thousands on something super fancy or top of the line- but I'm just worried I might spend hundred on a hunk of junk and that I might not even get it to function in the way I need, because to be honest I'm not sure exactly what I should be buying.

For background, I'm in the business of making softcover leather books. Typically with upholstery weight leather, in the 2.3-3.5 oz ballpark, but in the future would like to expand into products with slightly heavier 4-5 oz weights (but the leather I use now definitely needs heat to set a stamp, pressure stamping doesn't work on what I use). I do a lot of personalization and have been using a handheld burner tool thus far, but I need to upgrade to something a bit more professional that can get the job done faster and cleaner.  I'd need a machine with a type setter/holder, or equivalent, and a set (or a few) of type. (Goudy Light or Times New Roman, or similar, ideally)For now I only need one row of type, but it would be nice if down the road it had the capability to do multi line.  Foiling would be a nice future option as well, but it's definitely not absolutely necessary that the machine be set up for it as all my current stamping is blind debossing anyway (and I could always just lay the foil down flat on the piece, I dont *need*  the whole roll feed set up, right?)

So I've tried doing a bit of research, and kingsley and kwik print machines seem like *the* thing here in the US, and as I understand it kingsleys are no longer made? but kwik prints are, but the thing is, Kwikprints website was supposedly hacked, and I had a heck of a time getting in touch with anybody online (I'm not one for phone calls, and I'd like to get some info in writing, and eventually found them on FB) I did email with someone named Jay, but he sent a somewhat general email and didn't follow up with more info about the models he suggested, and didn't reply when I asked more questions. So I really have no idea if this company is legit anymore. Not sure how I would even go about buying securely since their website is "down". Doing a transaction over the phone just doesn't seem secure.

Anyways, that was 6 months ago, and in the time since I've found Tandy also has a hot stamping machine, but I'm unclear what kind of type would work or be available to go with it- I could find any of the machines accessories on Tandys website. I also found kwikprint machines on talas for a pretty penny. Talas has it set up as  "build your machine" type of thing for Kwik prints with all the accessories separately, and even still I'm not sure what all I would really need, and it seems pretty expensive to do it this way.  I've also found plenty of these kinds of machines on amazon, Asian supplier websites, and a few other sites, but for most of them  it's unclear what kind of typesetter and sets of type I would need/could use with these random "off brand" machines. I've heard some type only works with some machines, and I'm sure not all holders work with all machines either, etc. Also, some type sets I *have* found seems like they comes with just one of each letter, which seems a little silly. Is this normal and people buy multiple sets of the same type, or can you buy sets of type anywhere with multiples of the more popular letters (you know, like if someone wants "Sally" on their item, I'm gonna need two L's, ya know?)

I'm feeling really over my head in this search, and I need help! Any info or guidance in any form would be greatly appreciated.

Hi there!

I won't be much help for a solution but i'm in the same boat- albiet i'm just doing leathercraft for a hobby rather than a business, so don't need such a hi-tech machine for lots of work. 

What I can offer is my own observations in my hot foil research!

So I've been looking in to all sorts of machines as well. The China made ones, as you say, are in abundance everywhere and people generally have good feedback on them. One prominent maker of these is called "Zonesun" and they also offer making fonts of the machine too. This is good as you know whatever they make will fit in to one of their machines. Even better, the China made ones are all on the lower end of the price scale which is great. 

But! I totally understand how it's hard to say if anything you get made elsewhere will fit in to their machines. And also it seems you might need something hardier as you're producing alot of products. 

On the opposite end of the scale we have all the Kwikprint and Kingsley's and well known brands. As you know- they're expensive and actually hard to source and when you can, they can sometimes be very old. Not something you can totally rely on. 

Here's a bit of a grey area- all the brands in between. The best selection i've found is on Etsy. There's one or two independent makers of these hot foil machines. One is The Lederer who i've already purchased types from. They're based in Hong Kong and I believe they've upgraded one of Zonesun's machines and have made this walnut and brass box. You're talking about USD$400-600 for one of these. The Lederer are going to release an upgraded model soon which look like Zonesun's first version. I've yet to try it out but will be soon. They also offer custom making font sets which i've review on my Youtube vlog. These also look prettier than the cheaper ones to boot- so something to consider if you're going to do live embossing. 

One more thing to note is the fonts that i've purchased from the Lederer are much too small for any of the high end machines like Metallic Elephant(UK) and Kwikprint. The high end ones need dies that are quite large. 

So in conclusion I think it's important to invest in a machine that will give you longevity. The fact that the China made ones have gotten pretty good reviews and also offer custom fonts is a good thing. Not to mention, you will probably make back your money on these pretty quick. I think i'd personally go for a cheaper one, see how it goes and when the time comes invest in the larger ones. 

Hope that help's somewhat!

-Chris

Edited by Krisleather

45 minutes ago, Krisleather said:

these is called "Zonesun"

I purchased a Zonesun on Etsy. The gal (Nadia) gives excellent customer service, the machine works great, and the font sets she sells comes with 1 upper case, 1 lower case, 20 symbols, and 1 number set. That still doesn't cut it for names that have three of the same letter like the name 'Lilly'. I got 6mm letters but the letters sets can be made in other sizes too. The machine I got came with one set and she substituted the lower case for upper case so I at least had two of each letter in upper case. I don't see Zonesuntech on Etsy today in a quick search which makes me a little nervous but they do have a website. 

I haven't used it a ton because I'm still learning about heat, foil, and how the different leathers take the hot foil or just hot stamping without the foil. Don't want to try it on a good project until I'm confident I'm not going to mess it up. ;) 

46 minutes ago, VYO said:

I purchased a Zonesun on Etsy. The gal (Nadia) gives excellent customer service, the machine works great, and the font sets she sells comes with 1 upper case, 1 lower case, 20 symbols, and 1 number set. That still doesn't cut it for names that have three of the same letter like the name 'Lilly'. I got 6mm letters but the letters sets can be made in other sizes too. The machine I got came with one set and she substituted the lower case for upper case so I at least had two of each letter in upper case. I don't see Zonesuntech on Etsy today in a quick search which makes me a little nervous but they do have a website. 

I haven't used it a ton because I'm still learning about heat, foil, and how the different leathers take the hot foil or just hot stamping without the foil. Don't want to try it on a good project until I'm confident I'm not going to mess it up. ;) 

Good to know your experience with the company! I think they've called themselves WorkonLeather on Etsy as they're using all their brand images etc. 

I've tried experimenting with a soldering iron so far without much success. I suppose the best way is to just keep experimenting! :)

my experience of foil printing

In the early 1970's we spent half a day walking around Harrods in London, and the only thing we came away with which we could afford was a pack of 20 flip top match boxes with our names embossed in gold on the front. Nowadays I don't think we could afford even them

Edited by chrisash

6 hours ago, Krisleather said:

I've tried experimenting with a soldering iron so far without much success.

I started the same way. My next purchase was one of the big hand-held hot foil stamping machines. That went a little better than the soldering iron but it had its own challenges. Because of the big base on it I couldn't see well where to set the stamp and hold the thing straight up and down and apply consistent pressure at the same time. So I practiced for a bit, came to the conclusion that I would need a stationary machine. Did the research and realized I would need to stay on the less expensive end  (by comparison to other machines) and got the Zonesun. Still practicing with it.

On 16/01/2019 at 5:15 PM, chrisash said:

my experience of foil printing

In the early 1970's we spent half a day walking around Harrods in London, and the only thing we came away with which we could afford was a pack of 20 flip top match boxes with our names embossed in gold on the front. Nowadays I don't think we could afford even them

That's an interesting insight to hear! I think there's still real gold foil out there but the ones I've bought have been the fake gold rolls which are definitely more affordable. Thank goodness for new inventions, eh? :)

On 16/01/2019 at 9:31 PM, VYO said:

I started the same way. My next purchase was one of the big hand-held hot foil stamping machines. That went a little better than the soldering iron but it had its own challenges. Because of the big base on it I couldn't see well where to set the stamp and hold the thing straight up and down and apply consistent pressure at the same time. So I practiced for a bit, came to the conclusion that I would need a stationary machine. Did the research and realized I would need to stay on the less expensive end  (by comparison to other machines) and got the Zonesun. Still practicing with it.

I was originally considering the handheld press- that's good to know. It seems annoying having that much space taken up by a stationary machine but I suppose it's worth it for the consistency! 

Sorry I've been away from home for a few days.

The Zonesun take about 9 x 6 inches on my bench. It is most definitely worth it for the precision. Saves tons of time and mistakes. ;) The ZS-110 has a sliding bench so the piece to be engraved can be placed according to measurement and then slid in to do the engraving.

6 inches.jpg

closed 9 inches.jpg

open 11 inches.jpg

Howard Imprinting supplies hot stamping machines, foil, type and accessories.  Also have some videos.  My imprinter is a Howard machine re-branded by Gold Star (who has gone out of business).  It is similar to Kingsley and works well.  They are expensive.  Bought mine secondhand with a couple boxes of napkins, pencils, card stock, foil, etc. for about $300.  Had hardly been used.  I decided I needed something to be able to hot stamp chrome tanned and other leathers.  My son had used a Kingsley when he was a teenager to print business cards.  When he quit using it, I finally gave it away.  Wished I hadn't!

Tom

On 1/23/2019 at 12:57 PM, VYO said:

Sorry I've been away from home for a few days.

The Zonesun take about 9 x 6 inches on my bench. It is most definitely worth it for the precision. Saves tons of time and mistakes. ;) The ZS-110 has a sliding bench so the piece to be engraved can be placed according to measurement and then slid in to do the engraving.

6 inches.jpg

closed 9 inches.jpg

open 11 inches.jpg

That's handy to know, thank you for the informative pics:) Sorry I didn't reply sooner!

On 1/25/2019 at 1:04 AM, Northmount said:

Howard Imprinting supplies hot stamping machines, foil, type and accessories.  Also have some videos.  My imprinter is a Howard machine re-branded by Gold Star (who has gone out of business).  It is similar to Kingsley and works well.  They are expensive.  Bought mine secondhand with a couple boxes of napkins, pencils, card stock, foil, etc. for about $300.  Had hardly been used.  I decided I needed something to be able to hot stamp chrome tanned and other leathers.  My son had used a Kingsley when he was a teenager to print business cards.  When he quit using it, I finally gave it away.  Wished I hadn't!

Tom

They're all quite pricey aren't they. Good for starting a business with, I suppose! I wish these companies would stop going out of business :P

Hey all, 

On this topic, I went out and bought a new hot stamping machine in the market- it's on the higher price end of the "cheaper", Chinamade machines, but worth a review- so here's the vid I made on it:) 

Edited by Northmount
replaced url that redirected from Facebook

I initially was looking into a heat stamping machine. Ended up picking up a high heat stamp branding iron with a 1" x 2" custom logo off amazon for $77. It's pure carbon and works awesome.

Hi Krisleather how do you find The Leaderer machine - would it be fast enough to use at events or in a retail pop-up?  I'm concerned that there is too much time taken in changing the letters over....what do you think?

Thanks for all detail shared here. Does anyone have a rough idea on the price range for a KSF1 or KSF mini shipped to USA? Also welcome any feedback if anyone has used a Metallic Elephant foil press :)

Hi everyone, I’m looking to buy a hot foiling machine to personalise some small leather accessories with quotes or names etc. 

I saw above a few of you mentioned one on Etsy- 

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/567314148/workonleather-zs-100-hot-foil-stamping?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=hot+foil+press&ref=sr_gallery-1-10&variation0=1977658862

just wondering how people are getting on with it? Are you able To use the t slot easily to emboss names etc and also to add your own logo with there metal personalised stamp? 

thanks 

On 11/16/2021 at 7:50 AM, LauraJessica said:

Hi everyone, I’m looking to buy a hot foiling machine to personalise some small leather accessories with quotes or names etc. 

I saw above a few of you mentioned one on Etsy- 

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/567314148/workonleather-zs-100-hot-foil-stamping?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=hot+foil+press&ref=sr_gallery-1-10&variation0=1977658862

just wondering how people are getting on with it? Are you able To use the t slot easily to emboss names etc and also to add your own logo with there metal personalised stamp? 

thanks 

I have nearly the same hot foil machine, but without the T-Slot holder, only the screw mounted stamps. Overall, it's great and well worth the money. I'm thinking about getting a second cheap one now. I believe the T-Slot holder is best for stamping letters/names/etc, and the Screw-Only version of the machine is best for aligning stamps. If I had to pick just one machine, I'd probably get the TSlot version first.

The only setup you'll need to do is re-align the 4 posts, as the flat hot plate isn't exactly flat when it arrives. Example, if you stamp a long name like "Jonathan", then "J" might be lightly stamped or not show up at all, and the last "n" will be very deep in the leather. Watch Geordie Leather on youtube to see how these 4 corners adjust in height.

Also, fwiw, those Etsy shops are selling the same machine you can get in a lot of places. I'd recommend checking out Vevor.com for the machine itself, and LeatherStampMaker.com for the alphabet set. You'll get a better price on the machine with Vevor, less shipping time from their US warehouse. And LSM makes really high quality stamps compared to some of those Chinese Etsy reseller stores.

Hey All,  has anyone tried both ZoneSun and RCIDOS brand letters with hot foil stamping?    The ZoneSun appears to have less metal in the holders and the letters, and I'm not sure if that's better for quality as it will heat up faster, or if the RCIDOS which has more metal in the holder and the letters is better as it might hold heat longer.....     Any thoughts?   I have a WT-DS90 from Lonsdale Leather, which is just rebranded for them.  Thanks in advance!