TonySFLDLTHR

SLC and Hermann Oak **NEWS FLASH**

Leather News Flash

When great companies work together, great things happen!!!  And they happen for their customers as well. Those things are known as win-win situations, and the main beneficiary of these win-win situations is always the customer. The benefit to the companies comes later as it flows from happy customers to innovative companies.  It’s well known that “Customer First” has been the long standing policy of great companies like SLC and Hermann Oak Leather.

Having said that, leather crafters across the board have long desired a HERMANN OAK DOUBLE SHOULDER.  And SLC and Hermann Oak feel that this would be a tremendous addition to the leather industry in this country for manufacturers, hobbyists, belt makers and all sorts of other leather crafters.  But the production problems confronting the ability to actually create this seemingly simple cut of leather were far more daunting than the average person would realize. It would require a small book to explain them! 

So….recently, Hermann Oak and SLC have teamed up, and worked together extensively to try solve these difficulties.  And, (amazingly enough) we feel that between us, we think we have it whipped!!! Another benefit of this production has been realized. Not only will we have a Hermann Oak double shoulder, but we’ll also have a double culatta!!!  Initial research has shown that using double shoulders and double culattas can result in AS MUCH AS 40% YIELD INCREASES FOR VARIOUS END USERS!

With all of these things having been said, production samples are in hand!  Testing is in place. Grading and pricing are being discussed. We’re very excited to have a part in bringing this wonderful new product to our customers!  And certainly want to express our gratitude and thanks to Hermann Oak for being willing to not only change the way that they think, but for making the time and effort required to make this colossal project a success. 

MORE NEWS SOON!!!

SLC_HERM1.thumb.jpg.6dc8d126b6fa67752cf0e572b82c315a.jpg

SLC_HERM2.thumb.jpg.fd0593732d59f95cf67f2580ca2185e1.jpg

Good to know and thanks for the effort!

Couple times I wondered why they don't sell double shoulders... maybe not cost effective to booger the process, or maybe just part of not being like "everybody else".  Holster makers might well be interested in something like this.

i don't get it

4 hours ago, nrk said:

i don't get it

They are going to offer double shoulders in Hermann oak leather. They don't make a double shoulder that I know of. It is a nice cut. You can make belts and holsters and sheathes from it. I'm sure there are many other things as well. It'll be a new product that I think people will be like. 

SLC has been affiliated with Hermann oak for a while, I imagine they hashed out a deal to make it worth Hermann oaks while to produce a double shoulder. I think it would be nice to have the option though

2 hours ago, Stetson912 said:

I think it would be nice to have the option though

Yup.  Less up front money if you don't want to buy sides, long enough for belts (generally), less waste (percentage) than single shoulders, good cut for holsters and other small goods.

Yup, I like the idea of a dbl shoulder. Maybe not like "git on my knees in front of it in the parking lot" like it, but like it mostly. Still, give that Darnell fella an attaboy for always in teachin' mode ... ;)

On 12/17/2018 at 9:28 AM, JLSleather said:

Couple times I wondered why they don't sell double shoulders... maybe not cost effective to booger the process, or maybe just part of not being like "everybody else".  Holster makers might well be interested in something like this.

So the story behind why HO doesn't do double shoulders and double bends. They have always done sides since 1881.

In their shop they hang the hinds down the spine and cut them into sides. Their racks to process are set up to do side. Its only been for sides. Because that's how they have always done it.

In steps us and our customers asking for a double shoulder of HO...they don't do it...ask enough times and everyone sees that the customers would like something they don't do. How do they do it...Rusty and Kevin go up and talk with Shep and his people and they find a way to try it. This is where we are right now. They are learning to process their hides differently and that is going to take time. How to split and all the other that goes along with it.  

Double shoulders and bends tend to lead to higher yields for the end customer...so the numbers show.

Reminds me of the story of the monkeys and the hanging banana.  No new monkeys are allowed to touch the banana.

YinTx

This is pure speculation on my part, but maybe the reason HO has never produced double shoulders is that they didn't have a market for the double culatta.  HO has started out as, and has primarily been, a Tanner of leather for the harness and saddlery industry.  I would have no use for a side of harness leather with the shoulder chopped off.  There isn't enough length.  While much of my waste IS neck and shoulder, there are still enough straps that need that 7-1/2 to 8 ft length to be useful.  As the equine industry declines and uses less leather, the craft industry is increasing, and I can see where now there could be a market for HO in processing their leather as culattas and shoulders. Again, just speculation on my part, based on what I've seen happen in the harness trade over the last 20 years.