Treesner

hole punch set or individual

hey guys I need some leather hole punches (I've just been using the rotating style one). Mainly I need one for copper rivets but figure I'll need other sizes later. Would you recommend buying a set or individually also what brand is worth the money and what brand to avoid

thanks!

I have a set of the KS Blade interchangeable punches and love them. These are by far the best punches I've used and can't give them enough praise. They make an interchangeable system like I have and also individual punch sets.

These I have been really happy with.204528E1-C87C-4669-9B74-5B7DA1D648C8.png

Now that I have a bit more time....

I really like Wuta. They make quality stuff at a reasonable price. Now it usually comes on the slow boat from China but they are up front about that.

The few problems I had (maybe twice out of 20) were handled quickly by them. I have no complaints about them or their tools. Their templates are also pretty spot on. 

I like the single punches. I have no hand strength to speak of, so a hand punch is out. 

When I first started in hobby leatherworking I bought a cheap set of 12 hole punches from a hardware store. They were absolute dog toffee -- blunt and wouldn't hold an edge even when I did sharpen them. Since then I've accumulated a drawerful of various punches piecemeal -- various brands, sizes and shapes. Most of them from bulk purchases of old tools. What I've learned is that I use far fewer different sizes than I thought I would -- probably two round punches regularly, which fit most different rivets I use. FWIW one's a Priory and the other a Maun.

My suggestion would be to buy a good quality punch in each size you currently use. The performance difference over cheap-and-nasty is far greater than the price difference. Start using a new size of rivet or eyelet, buy a new punch.

On 12/14/2018 at 12:45 PM, bgl500 said:

I have a set of the KS Blade interchangeable punches and love them. These are by far the best punches I've used and can't give them enough praise. They make an interchangeable system like I have and also individual punch sets.

do you like the interchangeability? seems kind of annoying chasing out 

On 12/15/2018 at 8:19 AM, Matt S said:

When I first started in hobby leatherworking I bought a cheap set of 12 hole punches from a hardware store. They were absolute dog toffee -- blunt and wouldn't hold an edge even when I did sharpen them. Since then I've accumulated a drawerful of various punches piecemeal -- various brands, sizes and shapes. Most of them from bulk purchases of old tools. What I've learned is that I use far fewer different sizes than I thought I would -- probably two round punches regularly, which fit most different rivets I use. FWIW one's a Priory and the other a Maun.

My suggestion would be to buy a good quality punch in each size you currently use. The performance difference over cheap-and-nasty is far greater than the price difference. Start using a new size of rivet or eyelet, buy a new punch.

was kind of thinking of trying to find a decent low cost set just to have what I need on hand if I'm in a pinch but also buy 2-3 nice ones in the main size

From experience; don't waste your money on cheap sets, unless they are quality ones discounted. Get round to 'garage' sales, antique shops et cetera and you can pick up old, quality, 'wad' or gasket punches for cents. I've picked up a few larger sizes from 'car boot' sales, farmer's markets and antique shops for no more than about £1 each [$1.30]

I/we had rather a lot of them but lost most when my son's garage business was burgled and we lost a number of tool boxes and equipment.

I use a Tandy rotary punch a lot and individual punches for harder to reach areas

caveat; I've found that even 'quality' named tools can be rubbish, names like Draper. Their punches on their rotary punch was so soft the metal punches bent going thru 3mm leather. I tried several - all the same.  I expect the ones recommended by other on here will be worth their money

I'm with @Matt S. I have the Tandy interchangeable set. It works but I only use two or three of them and if I'd have spent the money on individual punches, I'd have 3 really good punches instead of a set of mediocre punches.

I do want to second @bikermutt07 on Wuta. I have a Wuta diamond awl and will likely buy more based solely on that tool. It is really nice quality for the price. Those Wuta interchangeable punches look ok, the Tandy ones are pretty inconsistent and need work to sharpen with lots of tool marks and ridges to hang up on entry and exiting the leather.

Regarding rotary punches, I won't be spending money on those anymore. I've had two, one out of ignorance and the second to prove the first wasn't a fluke. They were Tandy tools. There may be better but I'm fine with drive punches.

Edited by battlemunky

8 hours ago, Treesner said:

do you like the interchangeability? seems kind of annoying chasing out 

It doesn't bother me as I don't punch a lot of holes. It was also a little more in my budget as well.

@battlemunky mine are individual punches. I got everything from .5mm to 10mm. It was like 59 bucks. It was barely a wimper once moment. I really like them. I like those awls too. And the little needle containers, and the sanding pads, and the patterns. I have some of their thread but haven't tried it yet. I really like Wuta.

Edited by bikermutt07

On 12/17/2018 at 3:58 PM, bikermutt07 said:

@battlemunky mine are individual punches. I got everything from .5mm to 10mm. It was like 59 bucks. It was barely a wimper once moment. I really like them. I like those awls too. And the little needle containers, and the sanding pads, and the patterns. I have some of their thread but haven't tried it yet. I really like Wuta.

sounds like a couple of people like the wuta as well might try those out. whats your most commonly used size? 

4 hours ago, Treesner said:

sounds like a couple of people like the wuta as well might try those out. whats your most commonly used size? 

I'm not sure. I haven't gotten to use them much. Probably what ever size is used most for rivets.

I really liked the wuta punch set however I did end up just breaking one. I've been cutting holes in webbing and to get a good clean hole ive needed to go to harder back board other wise it presses to far in, tried this harder HDPE plastic and that must have shattered it (or it was just a weak cutter, not sure) this was the 7.0 

433024448_ScreenShot2020-05-01at9_33_51AM.thumb.png.6c69fe7bfd46e11f31e056d1483c8389.png

That sucks @Treesner, no matter the tool. Have you at least had a chance to use it like a rented mule or was it relatively unused?

HDPE should lose every fight against even mild steel.

2 minutes ago, battlemunky said:

That sucks @Treesner, no matter the tool. Have you at least had a chance to use it like a rented mule or was it relatively unused?

HDPE should lose every fight against even mild steel.

I've probably cut 60 holes of webbing with it 

Hi i use the kind of punch and have had mine 25 years +, never had any problems with them. I agree just buy the sizes you use the most also i use a lead block to punch into for my heavier work  just make sure you give your hands a good wash after you have finished punching your work or use rubber gloves if you can get some these days.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SADDLERS-LEATHER-WORKERS-PROFESSIONAL-ROUND-HOLE-PUNCHES-MADE-IN-ENGLAND/232938611103?hash=item363c39219f:m:m9gOq-tyskmGndlFx5tvXgA&var=532460418178

Also these seem nice and the price does not seem to bad can't say how good they are having never used them but if i needed some extra sizes i may try these out myself.

https://www.abbeyengland.com/abbey-round-punch-483.html

This maybe a good punching block its about the same size as my lead block.

https://hwebber.co.uk/shop/c-s-osborne-leather-working-tools/leather-punches/nylon-cutting-block-fits-w1-w3/

Hope this helps

JCUK

Edited by jcuk

The new Osborne’s I have bought all arrived needing sharpening and removal of scale/junk inside the barrel before using. I expected this and think the basic forging/heat treatment is ok. 

I have bought numerous Osborne punches from Bruce, and these always arrive polished and ready to go. Cheaper than buying them new from an Osborne retailer.

On 5/1/2020 at 2:16 PM, 480volt said:

The new Osborne’s I have bought all arrived needing sharpening and removal of scale/junk inside the barrel before using. I expected this and think the basic forging/heat treatment is ok. 

I have bought numerous Osborne punches from Bruce, and these always arrive polished and ready to go. Cheaper than buying them new from an Osborne retailer.

Where can I find Bruce's website 

He’s a moderator on this board and he has a banner ad in the header, if you refresh enough times it will come up. Or google “Bruce Johnson leather”

Great guy to work with.

Thank you 

I know a lot of people recommended WUTA but I'm boycotting Chinese made products.  Buy American.

On 5/7/2020 at 6:12 AM, AzShooter said:

I know a lot of people recommended WUTA but I'm boycotting Chinese made products.  Buy American.

That's a nice thought but the only way to access this website is through a phone, tablet, or PC.  It should be pretty difficult to do that without relying on tiny, underpaid Chinese hands that are willing to do what American hands won't.

There are some leather tool manufacturers in the US (Osborne and the niche custom brands, mostly).  Some of the awls and blades are made of excellent US steel, but they are usually a premium.  Forget buying any toolfrom Tandy or Weaver if US-made matters.

Unfortunately, Osborne pale in comparison to what is available from Wuta and other tool makers e.g. Kevin Lee.  My Osborne head and round knife are good, after I spent 5 hours each getting them sharp.  My $60 Kevin Lee D2 head knife was just as sharp out of the box. For what it's worth.

While I admire the thinking behind "Buy american" (even though this is an international website), unfortunately most American consumers shop on price, not quality, and so it is difficult to find easily-available quality leather tools for a reasonable price.

I have to touch up my Osborne's much more often than my Kevin Lee, because he uses such harder tool steel and they used a softer steel that is easier to sharpen but dulls faster.