Patcher

Techsaw 2900 Vs. Singer 29K

Hi all, New kid on the block here.

I am not a pro, as this is merely a hobby in which I mainly make document and laptop cases out of leather that is mainly 2 mm thick. However, sometimes I deal with heavier leather 3-4 mm thick.

Up to now, I did everything by hand stitching, but now "without a warning" I had an opportunity to lay my sticky hands on 2 leather patchers at a ridiculous price from a an old shoe shop that closed. One is a classic Singer 29k with its stand (what a beautiful combo, although I will need to clean it up and find the right Singer decals) and the other is what I am 90% positive is a Techsaw 2900. There are no decals or name on it (only a serial number), but after surfing the net I guess I an not wrong.  The Techsaw is heavier than the Singer.

As this will be the first time I use a machine, my question is this: which of the two is easier to work with? From the little I managed to gather, the Techsaw has a certain advantage re the spinning of the foot, but... can anyone shed some light on the one I should start with?

Thanks in advance.

DSC_1957.jpgDSC_1958.jpg

If you consider the machine just as tools I would keep with white one (Asian made clone of the Singer 29K72 / K73 ) because parts are available, the other one looks live a very early 29K1 - 29K4 or the like - probably a century old and very few pats are available or just used parts for ridicules high prices.

Keep in mind that the presser feet of these machines will leave marks on the top side of the leather - this is probably not what you want.

I don´t think a patcher machine is the right machine for your work - they are designed as repair machines.

Edited by Constabulary

I agree with Constabulary given the choice I would choose the white one as parts should be more readily available. With so many clones available the white one could also be a Robin Industry RC-03 Shoe Sewing Machine, they use a red hand crank handle on the side wheel.

kgg

Yes also agree with mr 29k:lol: I would keep the white clone, it is a long arm and probably has a bigger bobbin. I don´t know what you mean by the spinning of the foot?? both of them turn º360??

Thanks guys - 

I see the unanimous vote here is for the no-name/techsaw machine as parts are more readily available.

Any differences between the machines performance wise?

I guess I'll keep the Singer 29k in storage for a rainy day and in the meantime restore its looks - any idea where I can find the proper decals for that?

The main differences are the old Singer 29 has a 12" arm with a 1" wide snout that contains a tiny bobbin about the size of a US nickle, while the newer machine has a 17.5" arm and may contain a larger bobbin the size of a US quarter and about a 1.25" wide snout. Both have a 360 degree rotating presser foot. The white machine has a thumbscrew to lock the revolving foot in position. We can't see the head of the Singer patcher cause it's facing backwards.

The bobbin winder shaft and tire is missing on the white machine. If they aren't in a parts drawer, you'll be out some money to buy replacement parts.

not entirely sure the white one is one of our machines but I could run the serial number for you if you want to send it over. 

Thanks Techsew ron - I will send you the serial # later.

in the meantime, I took the forum's advice and will use the newer (white) machine first. As this is only a hobby, I have not had too much time on the machine, and as this is the first time with a sewing machine it takes a little longer to learn the ropes. However, my first impression is very good: love the sound and feel of it.

I also liked the way it fit into my humble corner: had I opted for the Singer, I would have had to use its stand (they are just beautiful together - spitting them is a sin, and I have enough of that on my plate).

Everybody likes a bit of visual:

DSC_2149.jpgDSC_2152.jpg

DSC_2151.jpg 

Edited by Patcher