Treesner

good snaps (and bad snaps)

anyone else feel like the Tandy snaps dont hold very well? I'm having them pop open on some of my larger sheaths that take two snaps. I think the ones I got at ACE hold stronger (but dont come in black).

What snaps do you like and dislike? 

I'm going to try the Ohio travel bag snaps as I hear they also come in extra long posts

I use the snaps from The Buckle Guy.  Made from solid brass and have never had an issue with them yet.

Hey! Since we're on the subject of snaps, are there snaps where the "shank" or "stem" or whatever you call it is longer than what seems to be "standard"? I have run across snaps described as "Line 24" which I think are longer but I can never seem to find any actual dimensional specs on these or any other snaps. 

I need to make it through 4-5 mm of leather with the head (the pretty side). Where that goes is actually a couple of layers.

I have been doing my own searching, but getting nowhere because whatever i find is totally lacking in any sort of relevant info.

So anything out there? Or do I need to reconsider my design to figure out some way to have where the snap goes come out thinner?

47 minutes ago, Bender said:

So anything out there? Or do I need to reconsider my design to figure out some way to have where the snap goes come out thinner?

You might check this link: https://www.buckleguy.com/brass-snap-fasteners/. The Buckle Guy offers short, regular and long posts. When you click through each item, you will see the post length displayed. Hope this helps.

Oh Awesome! :) Now I see I have multiple choices.

Which raises a question, any kind recommendation on a minimum/maximum on how far above the leather the post should be sticking out? 

Obviously too short and the post won't grab. (Figured that one out for myself already. :crazy: ) But what about too long? I would guess that there is a point where too much post material sticking up makes it impossible for it to be pressed down and grab securely also.

Again thank you! As soon as I get my post lengths figured out I'm placing an order. 

1 hour ago, Bender said:

Which raises a question, any kind recommendation on a minimum/maximum on how far above the leather the post should be sticking out? 

I buy all of the various lengths, then experiment to see which one works best. Some leathers are thicker, and some leathers are softer, so you won't know until you set the snap. On occasion, I have had to use my trusty Dremel grinder to take off some of the length to get the posts to seat properly. The best investment I've ever made is a bench mounted snap (and rivet) setter. 

AHA! OK I get it. Too much is dependent upon the qualities of the leather itself. Cool. I'll figure something out. 

I have a bunch of snaps that have been working for other products. So I'll measure those, figure out what they are and start with just going one post length longer for this new product.

8 hours ago, Bender said:

Oh Awesome! :) Now I see I have multiple choices.

Obviously too short and the post won't grab. (Figured that one out for myself already. :crazy: ) But what about too long? I would guess that there is a point where too much post material sticking up makes it impossible for it to be pressed down and grab securely also.

Again thank you! As soon as I get my post lengths figured out I'm placing an order. 

You should have 1/8" to 3/16" through the leather to ensure ample security when you set it.  Same goes for rivets.

+1 buckleguy

+ some ebay sellers do have a good quality snaps - just need time to find and check

On 1/6/2019 at 7:50 PM, LatigoAmigo said:

You might check this link: https://www.buckleguy.com/brass-snap-fasteners/. The Buckle Guy offers short, regular and long posts. When you click through each item, you will see the post length displayed. Hope this helps.

per everyones feedback on the buckle guy snaps and i tried out these line 24 https://www.buckleguy.com/line-24-snaps-cap-15mm-ring-socket-antique-brass-s15b51ln-solid-brass-100-per-bag/ 

they are not holding strong enough for what I want. I think the sailrite ones hold stronger. anyone else know of other snaps that hold stronger

1 hour ago, darkmatter35 said:

thank you I see a number of strength options thats nice. what would you think that the bucleguy ones would be equivalent to? 

also how do you order from that site?

https://www.romefast.com/Snap-Fasteners-Round-Spring-Five-Eighths-Inch.asp

On 2/5/2019 at 6:07 PM, darkmatter35 said:

Not sure about the Buckle Guy snaps, Click the contact tab on romefastener.

they didnt get back tome, guess its the type of place you have to call?

Typically with the line 24 snaps there are two strengths of pull in their release to my knowledge.  

The standard snap has and can be seen inside the button,  Its also listed with some sellers.  In anycase standard strength has a brass wire ring placed inside. 

The heavier duty has a bronze wire ring for the locking aspect. With this heavier need nothing else matters except this different duty type. https://www.dotfasteners.com/durabletm-sockets-2121.html

There are other styles of these similar fasteners that require visual and directional movement to unsecure; referred to as pull the dot. They are much more expensive. One has to start digging deep in their internet site for the various products. 

I know there are many new companies that sell fasteners, some mentioned here I seen have some very cool designs, as well different purchase qty availabilities.   

This place in link is just one. I will say this is likely the oldest in this US in my opinion, or better yet they say 200 years. 

Have a good day

Floyd

19 hours ago, brmax said:

Typically with the line 24 snaps there are two strengths of pull in their release to my knowledge.  

The standard snap has and can be seen inside the button,  Its also listed with some sellers.  In anycase standard strength has a brass wire ring placed inside. 

The heavier duty has a bronze wire ring for the locking aspect. With this heavier need nothing else matters except this different duty type. https://www.dotfasteners.com/durabletm-sockets-2121.html

There are other styles of these similar fasteners that require visual and directional movement to unsecure; referred to as pull the dot. They are much more expensive. One has to start digging deep in their internet site for the various products. 

I know there are many new companies that sell fasteners, some mentioned here I seen have some very cool designs, as well different purchase qty availabilities.   

This place in link is just one. I will say this is likely the oldest in this US in my opinion, or better yet they say 200 years. 

Have a good day

Floyd

how can I look at my snaps and tell if they are bronze or brass?

sailrite has pull the dot and I ordered some of those yesterday to see if I like them or not 
https://www.sailrite.com/All-Hardware/Fasteners-and-Hooks/Snaps-and-Fasteners/Fastener-Type/Pull-The-DOT/type/Products?order=custitem_popularity

so you're saying the DOT durable will be the best snap ?

It will snap and release in only one direction. It takes a different setter and you have to make sure you have it lined up correctly also.

On 2/8/2019 at 10:47 AM, Treesner said:

how can I look at my snaps and tell if they are bronze or brass?

sailrite has pull the dot and I ordered some of those yesterday to see if I like them or not 
https://www.sailrite.com/All-Hardware/Fasteners-and-Hooks/Snaps-and-Fasteners/Fastener-Type/Pull-The-DOT/type/Products?order=custitem_popularity

so you're saying the DOT durable will be the best snap ?

additional research/ testing: 

amazon "Snap Fasteners 100% Stainless Steel Boat Marine Canvas Upholstery Snaps Cap" from northwest tarp. they are fasnap brand. emailed them for the longer post version.

good but not super strong holding

amazon "Fasnap Stainless Steel Snap Set, Marine Grade, 80 Piece:" says they're offered by northwest tarp but really they are fulfilled by someone else and they are actually DOT not fasnap 

these were a stronger hold and more so what I'm looking for. I tested and they work with snap brands, the part that makes them stiffer is the female socket. using the male on other brand female didn't improve strength. so I think technically I could stock up on the female version of the DOT brand and use with whatever other snaps I have. 

some additional information from northwest tarp about the two brands

Fasnap brand is manufactured in Japan and DOT is made here in the USA.

Other than that they are high quality snaps and the only ones we sell.  One isn't really any better than the other though the DOT brand tend to have a higher gloss to them.  Fasnap are a little more dull.