Sugarkryptonite

What year and where was my Singer 111W-153 built?

Hi guys,

New to this site, I just got this yesterday from my uncle, it's my first machine, just spent yesterday cleaning it up and oiling it.

I'm having trouble finding info online about where these machines were built and what year. I read 1940 on one site, and in a German plant on another, but some people said they were made in USA, anyone with more info?

https://imgur.com/a/XTLb5ow

Serial # is "W937330"

Some parts on the machine say made in W. Germany, and others say made in USA

Also, could anyone explain what the difference is between the 111 machines? 111W-151, 153, 154, 155? I believe the 151 is not a walking foot, but that's all I know.

Congrats on the new machine and welcome.  You are in luck - there is information on just about everything you’d ever need to know about your new machine here, but there is a little trick to finding it and it’s  best done with google.   At Google type in your search word followed by “site:leatherworker.net”  

For instance:

singer 111w153 site:leatherworker.net

One of the easiest ways to learn the difference between the various singer machines is to look up the user manual for them and there will be a description early in first few pages of what it will do, and often machines that are very similar will share a manual.

Most vintage machines like yours were used in factory settings and as it was serviced and rebuilt over the years many parts were replaced or swapped as needed to keep them up and running so it’s not surprising that some parts say made in Germany while your machine was made in the US.  With these older machines don’t assume everything was adjusted or repaired correctly - along the same lines don’t change or adjust something if you don’t understand how to do it.

1 hour ago, DonInReno said:

Congrats on the new machine and welcome.  You are in luck - there is information on just about everything you’d ever need to know about your new machine here, but there is a little trick to finding it and it’s  best done with google.   At Google type in your search word followed by “site:leatherworker.net”  

For instance:

singer 111w153 site:leatherworker.net

One of the easiest ways to learn the difference between the various singer machines is to look up the user manual for them and there will be a description early in first few pages of what it will do, and often machines that are very similar will share a manual.

Most vintage machines like yours were used in factory settings and as it was serviced and rebuilt over the years many parts were replaced or swapped as needed to keep them up and running so it’s not surprising that some parts say made in Germany while your machine was made in the US.  With these older machines don’t assume everything was adjusted or repaired correctly - along the same lines don’t change or adjust something if you don’t understand how to do it.

Thanks. Yeah I think it will need a tune-up... There's some people around me that do it but I'd love to learn how to tune it myself. I have the manual but it's not a great copy and the instructions aren't very clear :(...

55 minutes ago, hwinbermuda said:

Yeah I checked out that website before, information seems kinda scattered. It says you can email Singer on one of their pages so that's what I just did now. Hope they respond :wub:

47 minutes ago, Sugarkryptonite said:

Yeah I checked out that website before, information seems kinda scattered. It says you can email Singer on one of their pages so that's what I just did now. Hope they respond :wub:

They were quite quick coming back to me a while back.

they have an industrial machine lookup, from within the Singer site, but I am on a phone atm and its near impossible to read.

I think ###W### machines are from Bridgeport, Connecticut USA, as per https://www.oldsewingear.com/blog/where-was-my-singer-machine-made

Best

Harry

To find the age of your machine, find its serial number, and look it up here -

http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_machine_company/serial-numbers/singer-sewing-machine-serial-number-database.html

To get some basics about what they were originally designed to do, look up the model numbers here - 

http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_machine_company/model-list/classes-100-199.html

Hope that helpw.

17 minutes ago, Trevor Baret said:

To find the age of your machine, find its serial number, and look it up here -

http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_machine_company/serial-numbers/singer-sewing-machine-serial-number-database.html

To get some basics about what they were originally designed to do, look up the model numbers here - 

Hope that helpw.

Thanks. I've looked on these sites already but there's no listing for "W series serial numbers"...I don't get it. It goes s, v ,y, no w.

Edited by Sugarkryptonite

The model number is the W, the serial number will be elsewhere.

I don't know the model well enough to know where.

H

Just now, hwinbermuda said:

The model number is the W, the serial number will be elsewhere.

I don't know the model well enough to know where.

H

Right, but the serial number is also W. W937330 is imprinted under the model number on the machine, unless that's wrong?

May well be right.

I have one machine that I cannot place, it has an E prior to the serial number...

Singer gave up on that one.

H

As mentioned, the W in the model number designation indicates it was made at the Bridgeport plant, USA. Unfortunately there are very few records available from that factory  so it will be extremely difficult to date it.

Does everyone remember this little brochure Greg posted a while back that has some W serial number info?

8 hours ago, Sugarkryptonite said:

I have the manual but it's not a great copy and the instructions aren't very clear :(...

You’re in luck - one of our members Uwe Grosse has the best videos on the planet for adjusting machines - google his you tube videos.

1 hour ago, dikman said:

As mentioned, the W in the model number designation indicates it was made at the Bridgeport plant, USA. Unfortunately there are very few records available from that factory  so it will be extremely difficult to date it.

Thanks. I was getting confused from this site: https://sewalot.com/dating_singer_sewing_machine_by_serial_number.htm

As you can see it says "Note: All the letters in BOLD below are letters that come AFTER the model number, denoting place of manufacture. For example Singer 15K- the K is for Kilbowie. Singer 211G (model 211 made in Germany) Singer 211U (model 211 made in Japan)."

image.thumb.png.b7abee7f597f70b1600e2d2b39d8cd86.png

Two W's listed, one in Bridgeport, USA as you mentioned, but the W under it is bolded, Wittenberge, Germany. I don't quite understand it, unless what this site writes is wrong...According to this site 111W would put it in Wittenberge, Germany?

15 minutes ago, DonInReno said:

Does everyone remember this little brochure Greg posted a while back that has some W serial number info?

That is awesome, thanks! Looks like roughly 1943.:P

9 minutes ago, DonInReno said:

You’re in luck - one of our members Uwe Grosse has the best videos on the planet for adjusting machines - google his you tube videos.

I saw that posted here before as well! I have his channel on YouTube, but he only has one video on the 111W, only 3:37 about the feed dog lifting cam and fork :( Or are there other videos that don't have 111 in the title?

Many machines are variations of the walking foot singer 111w - you’ll find a lot of material that relates to your machine.

As to the site with confusing information regarding where your machine is made, I’d suggest the author’s facts are a little questionable.  ISMACS is a more reliable site, although not perfect.  http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_machine_company/german-factory-wittenberge.html

Its pretty safe to assume that your 111w is made in the US.

1 hour ago, DonInReno said:

Many machines are variations of the walking foot singer 111w - you’ll find a lot of material that relates to your machine.

As to the site with confusing information regarding where your machine is made, I’d suggest the author’s facts are a little questionable.  ISMACS is a more reliable site, although not perfect.  http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_machine_company/german-factory-wittenberge.html

Its pretty safe to assume that your 111w is made in the US.

Cool thanks! I'll check out more of his videos, then. I guess the verdict is around 1943 in Bridgeport, USA! :rockon: It's my first machine and I have to say I'm thrilled to have it and I love just looking at it, the mechanical side of the machine is quite astounding!

The model number is not the W

The model number is 110W-.....

Go here -

Scroll down till you see 111W

and you will see a variety of model numbers - see the attached screenshoy

Screen Shot 2018-12-18 at 12.43.11.png

Thanks everyone.

One other thing I was curious about on the machine is the "Simanco USA" branding on a lot of the parts on the machine, the name is even part of the casting in the bottom of the machine. Did they produce the machines for Singer? I can't find anything about them online.

Singer manufacturing company

Don, thanks for reminding me about that brochure, I'd forgotten all about it! (Brainfade, getting old....).

5 hours ago, Sugarkryptonite said:

Thanks everyone.

One other thing I was curious about on the machine is the "Simanco USA" branding on a lot of the parts on the machine, the name is even part of the casting in the bottom of the machine. Did they produce the machines for Singer? I can't find anything about them online.

They were Singer, it was their USA plant. Mind you, my 111W117 has some parts stamped Germany!

2 hours ago, dikman said:

Don, thanks for reminding me about that brochure, I'd forgotten all about it! (Brainfade, getting old....).

They were Singer, it was their USA plant. Mind you, my 111W117 has some parts stamped Germany!

8 hours ago, DonInReno said:

Singer manufacturing company

Ahhhh, makes sense. So is it safe to say that the parts on the machine labeled Singer were produced outside of the US, and everything labeled Simanco were US made parts?

59 minutes ago, Sugarkryptonite said:

Ahhhh, makes sense. So is it safe to say that the parts on the machine labeled Singer were produced outside of the US, and everything labeled Simanco were US made parts?

Simanco was used all over the place. I have no idea what the protocol was for when singer was used instead of Simanco.  Lol

Singer Manufacturing Company was a World wide corporation with plants all over the place. Simanco was one of their trade names. It was not limited to any one factory, or country. During war times they tooled up for non-sewing operations for the military. They even produced 1911 semi-autos in the USA during WWII, as well as bomber optical sights.

For anyone wondering, I had emailed Singer around when I started this thread, they just got back to me now:

Thank you for your interest in the history of your Singer sewing machine. Sewing machines have a long history and there are thousands of different models that are still in circulation.  

Unfortunately we discontinued doing historical research on machines some time ago and we have limited information about the older machines.  We cannot provide historical information such as, appraisals (value), parts availability or date of manufacture for these machines.  We will be happy to try to assist you with whatever information we can.  You may find your model and more about it by checking large web sites like ebay and etsy, or smaller sites like collector's weekly. Ideally you will find an exact match, but in case you don't, find another machine with a similar year and model.  The following web address may be helpful: http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_machine_company/home.html.  You can also search the Internet for "vintage sewing machine images" and the many internet sites for sewing machines and your local library

Oh well! :unsure:

On 12/17/2018 at 4:04 PM, DonInReno said:

Wow those videos are great! Thank you.