arz

Needle close to foot, Needle Bar Bad? Adler 69

I bought a new KH (Kwok Hing) narrow foot set for my Adler 69-373. I am having a hard time getting the needle to go in the middle hole in the foot. It might be just fine the way it is, not sure.

I have adjusted everything as close as I can. I have rotated the outer and inner feet. I had to put a shim behind the left foot screw to make it straight (the bar is just a little worn). I have also tried rotating the needle bar.

The needle is very close the the left of the hole in the foot. When I tighten the needle screw the needle goes to the left about 1-1.5mm (max).  

Based on the videos I have posted, does anyone know if my needle bar is worn? I really do not want to buy a new one if it will not make a difference! Here are the videos:

I have the machine timed for 134-35 needles. I am assuming using a 134 needle will not make a difference with this problem?

Will a Adler 269 needle bar fit my 69 machine? Kwok Hing gave me the the dimensions of their bar...seems like it might work.

Thanks! - Adam

Below is the original foot:

IMG_0601.JPG.725689a191a9a415f3c2236d241c055a.JPG

This is the new KH foot:

IMG_0607.JPG.b18dfce549c285a338fe28429ea7fd7c.JPG

Edited by arz

Lower cost presser feet are often not made to the same quality standards as the original and may not line up ideally.  The presser bars can be rotated to allow better alignment.  

While the presser feet bars are loosened up for adjustment can be rotated to check for any bend?

51 minutes ago, DonInReno said:

Lower cost presser feet are often not made to the same quality standards as the original and may not line up ideally.  The presser bars can be rotated to allow better alignment.  

While the presser feet bars are loosened up for adjustment can be rotated to check for any bend?

Thanks! Although these are not the Adler feet they are considered very good. They look straight to me. I have tried rotating the feet for the best alignment. It is working OK for now.

I still think my needle bar might be worn....but probably not enough for a 70.00 euro part :o

I did not like the look of the movement of the needle once located in the shaft so I would check that the needle is pretty close to 2mm dia at the top first. I just checked a needle in my old 69 and that takes 2mm fairly snug. As for the line up forget the feet and line up the needle in the centre of your dog foot which in your first picture looks about right.The KH foot is off set I think and you may want to open the hole right through at the left side of the front foot and consider that it will be easier and quicker to thread up as your old one was from the other side. May need to shave a little of the right side while your at it to allow more clearance from the back foot on the right.

46 minutes ago, RockyAussie said:

I did not like the look of the movement of the needle once located in the shaft so I would check that the needle is pretty close to 2mm dia at the top first. I just checked a needle in my old 69 and that takes 2mm fairly snug. As for the line up forget the feet and line up the needle in the centre of your dog foot which in your first picture looks about right.The KH foot is off set I think and you may want to open the hole right through at the left side of the front foot and consider that it will be easier and quicker to thread up as your old one was from the other side. May need to shave a little of the right side while your at it to allow more clearance from the back foot on the right.

Thanks for the info! You are correct, the needle is going perfectly center in the dog foot. I completely serviced the machine bringing it back to factory spec (other than timing it for 134-35 needles instead of 134). The local mechanic did not want to mess with it. I learned a lot about the machine by doing this my self :) 

Once I serviced/timed the machine is has sewn great! 

Modifying the foot is probably a good option. I may go ahead and cut a slot on the left like you said....

The needle in the photo is a new 134-35 140 LR needle. Shaft size is an exact 2mm. I also do not like that much movement. I was just wonder how snug it should be?

I don't mind putting money in this sewing machine, but I don't want to buy parts I don't need. We only have room for one and it is perfect for our needs (purses, wallets etc.). It even sews canvas by just changing the needle out.

-Adam

I bought a set of feet with a similar problem (not KH). I knew the needle was lined up ok with the feed dog so opened out the hole in the vibrating foot. If you do that just make sure you polish it well so you don't have any burrs.

I had a similar problem with me old 29k and saw the metal was thin near one side of the needle hole so the needle clamp screw ended up pushing out the metal a little probably due to over tightening. I just took a punch and hammered it back in. Not saying this is the same case as yours but looks like it is worn on the inside. Also your needle will possibly be a little further away from the hook?? I personally would look for another needle bar. Or you could take out the needle bar and peen it back a little towards the hole?.

Edited by jimi

14 hours ago, jimi said:

I had a similar problem with me old 29k and saw the metal was thin near one side of the needle hole so the needle clamp screw ended up pushing out the metal a little probably due to over tightening. I just took a punch and hammered it back in. Not saying this is the same case as yours but looks like it is worn on the inside. Also your needle will possibly be a little further away from the hook?? I personally would look for another needle bar. Or you could take out the needle bar and peen it back a little towards the hole?.

Thanks for the idea. You are correct, my needle was a bit far from the hook. I was able to move it closer but I had to be careful not to get it too close to the guard. Again, I think this is because the needle it about 1-1.5mm on a angle to the left.

I will take a closer look at the needle bar, maybe take it off. I might just buy a new needle bar next year...

Thanks! -Adam