I have the standard 1, 2, 4, 6 chisel punch set and it is barely as long as 3 pieces of 7 - 8 oz leather is. I have the sheath all cut and the welt glued in. I didn't want to just bang and dent in the side I am punching.Any suggestions on what to do or how to punch thicker stuff for stitching?

punch.JPG

Could not add a second photo as they are too large. I am giving this to my daughter for Christmas and need to finish it. All I have to do it stitch the welt, punch the hole for the retainer and re-dye the edge where I sanded it.

sheath.JPG

3 layers of 8 oz is about 9mm? I believe that is about as long of teeth as you will find. My Wuta irons are about 9mm long I think. About 10mm is as long as they get. The KS Blade Punch irons might be a bit longer. You will have to use an awl to finish the holes or get a heavy duty sewing machine I am afraid.

-Adam

Edited by arz

There are a couple of options that I can think of for using a stitching chisel in thicker projects.  

1.  Before gluing up all layers, punch through a couple of layers at a time, using already done layers as a guide for the ones below.

2.  If it's already glued, use the hole already there as a guide and finish the holes with an awl.

- Bill

Nice sheath by the way! And beautiful knife :o

Thanks, but I think I fixed my problem. Maybe what to do next time? I am not sure I can punch and line the holes up. I am a novice at this, this is the second sheath I have made and all the leather work I have done.

I took the single punch to the grinder and made it longer. ;) Man I get that 4 punch in and I can't get it back out. I guess they are not made for multiple sheets. How do you all do the welt end of a sheath?

5c1a46bad4db6_punch2.thumb.JPG.1f77d67733de95a5f7629a6983b595d8.JPG

Edited by archeryrob

31 minutes ago, archeryrob said:

Man I get that 4 punch in and I can't get it back out.

Try rubbing the punch across some beeswax.

I usually use the irons for perfect spacing and the awl to go through the many layers as well. Also, the irons get stuck because they aren't sharp/polished. There are some Youtube videos out there that show how to sharpen/polish them up and they'll glide through the leather.

No way I'd sit there trying to line up all the holes in multiple layers.  Better to use your punch to mark the holes, then sew with an awl.  You can still "prepunch" the holes - if you want - with the awl instead of with the punch.

Something also been done... mark your holes, then punch with a sewing machine needle chucked in a drill press.

Punch through the top two layers, then use awl on the last layer putting it through the top two layers for accuracy, whilst going through the bottom layer with the awl

Thanks, I used the 4 pin to dent the first layer for spacing and then hammered the single through and used it to open the holes larger on the back. I used a curved sewing needle and stitched waxed dacron (bow string) through. I put half through one hole and then the needle in the next hole and back again and slide the loose end on the other side through the hole, like a sewing machine would. Not sure if this is correct, but it works. Two over hand knots on the last hole on the back and stitch the loose ends back through three holes before cutting them off. Never came loose on my other one yet.

I can't put finished pictured in as it says I am limited to 1.46mb??imageproxy.php?img=&key=81964be983ea98b5imageproxy.php?img=&key=81964be983ea98b5imageproxy.php?img=&key=81964be983ea98b5imageproxy.php?img=&key=81964be983ea98b5

Edited by archeryrob

That "waviness" will go away with practice, and attention to keeping the punch/awl perfectly aligned vertically each time. 

Looking good, though!

Jeff

Punching through like that, you kept things really steady to only get that small amount of waviness. Looks great!

Man throw those little stitching boogers to the side. Get a sewing machine needle and chuck it in a drill press. A feller once sent me a needle before I got my machine. Chucked in a cheap drill press and made a world of difference. Lots less headache. Easy to keep straight. And YOU can decide what “pitch” you want your holes to be. Straight or canted can all be done by turning your chuck just a tad. Use the press as an arbor. Don’t turn the machine one. 

13 hours ago, JLSleather said:

Something also been done... mark your holes, then punch with a sewing machine needle chucked in a drill press.

:17: feller tellin ya the truth right chere!

Edited by Clintock