Jerr

Should I invest in a stitching machine? What kind?

Hey All I am very new to the hobby of leatherworking, I began only in September but I have been getting into it big time! Currently I am making knife pouches, coasters, key FOBs, etc. Small stuff. I do however want to get into more complex things in the future and am also starting to get tired of hand stitching every knife pouch I do so I am considering buying myself a stitching machine come income tax time but honestly I am so overwhelmed with what kind to get. Looking at the Tandy website there is only 2 types, on for around 400 that looks like the kind of machine my grandma used to stitch clothes and the other is 1400.00 and looks real heavy duty (its a hand machine)  but to be honest Idk if there is a measurable difference between the two as far as the type of work I am doing. That's what I guess im asking for is advice on what I as an amateur leatherworker should look for in a machine, all these terms I read on the forums are foreign to me so If someone can explain what to look for in my native tongue of idiot I would appreciate it! any advice as far as brand to buy or stay away from would be useful too. As far as price range I'd like to see a machine for less than 1K but if that not possible a little more is fine but my natural instinct is to be the best of the best and Im trying to avoid that this time around and get something that can easily do the work I need it to but not be overkill. Any help is appreciated! below are the pictures of the two options I have through Tandy but I am open to other suggestions if neither is truly a good investment.

Janome-HD-3000-Sewing-Machine-3797-00-600_430.jpg

tippman boss.jpg

Edited by Jerr

The Tandy one show is okay for light stuff, but isn't considered a industrial stitcher. Welted knife sheaths, holsters and that type of work will require something more substantial. The Boss hand stitcher will do a lot more, but one stitch at a time! And, you'll need one hand for the lever, so only one left to hold, align and guide the work. It boils down to what you'll be doing most of, and how often. Get online and look for reviews of the machines shown above. \

Jeff

Wiz has a first class post here that should help you decide what you need

The first picture is really a domestic (home) sewing machine for fabric where as the second one is a Tippmann Boss suppose to be able to sew up to 3/4 " thick leather. First figure out how thick the total material is going to be, decide if you want a flatbed or a cylinder bed machine and then decide if you are going to buy new or a good used one. I think you my need a budget of $800-1000 for a good used sewing machine c/w table and servo motor while you could expect needing a $2000 budget for a new machine c/w table and servo motor.

If you want to get away from hand stitching then I would forget the hand lever style cylinder machines. I think you will get better / faster stitching results if you have both hands to hold your projects with rather then one to hold and one to pull the lever.

kgg

I did read that article and it helped some, still having some trouble with all the Jargon, trying to decipher whether machines like that are for people who do leatherworking as a business or hobby, because I want a machine that can do some thick stuff like sheathes and cases, but ill rarely be doing chaps or anything too large so I guess im trying to find that sweet spot between using a machine that's not truly meant for leather and one that is the super-professional level. If I got anything out of that article though Its that a "walking" machine is what I want, I think.

I think you have a start there. A walking foot is certainly a start. As for the size of your projects, if I understand what you are saying, it isn't the size i.e. chaps vs key fob, it is the total thickness of what you want to sew. How many layers and how thick each layer is. Honestly there is no such machine as one not meant for leather that can still be used for leather. It really doesn't matter what level of the craft you are at. You can find either a used one for less, or perhaps one not meant for hours a day use. But with your level of knowledge I would suggest contacting a dealer (or more than one brand). Tandy would not be my first choice in this venture. See folks on the above sponsor list or do a search here. There are several folks that can steer you right. Good luck.

@Jerr, put simply there is no stitching machine "not designed for leather" that can honestly do the sorts of thing you want to make. Of those two options from the Tandy catalogue the Boss is the better choice but at a similar price there are better options out there IMHO.

I actually own the Janome HD 3000 that Tandy sells. Once you add the walking foot, they actually call it the "Even Feed Foot", it is a good machine for light weight stuff. As an example, I am currently re-purposing an old set of motor cycle chaps into a leather apron for working in the garage (leather work, hobby gunsmithing, reloading etc). It joined the two sides together well, but it will not handle attaching the neck band or the belt.  I had finally got enough money together for a cowboy 3200, but then had to spend 1500.00 of it on my truck.  I had been considering the Tippmann Boss, but after asking a lot of questions, and watching a whole lot of youtube videos on both, I decided that the cowboy for the money was the way to go.  Good luck.