Sugarkryptonite

Antique sewing machine protection wipe down

Hey guys

What products or oils you guys use to wipe down the exterior of your antique sewing machines to keep them in good shape? Not talking about oiling the mechanicals of the machine, but the machine exterior itself.

I recently got a 1940's Singer and wiped it down with some light machine oil and it looks pretty good, just was curious what everyone else uses or if anyone has other suggestions. I don't want to affect any of the decals or patina on this old machine!

Carnauba wax will provide a good luster and protect the paint and decals. It is also less likely to attract dust.

5 hours ago, JJN said:

Carnauba wax will provide a good luster and protect the paint and decals. It is also less likely to attract dust.

Good idea, thanks. Any idea what to use to clean off the surface before applying? I had applied some light oil which brought back the machine shine quite a bit, but as you mentioned, kind of attracts some dust...

Edited by Sugarkryptonite

Sewing machine oil is all I wipe the outside with.  It desolves old dried oil and is pretty simple.

4 hours ago, DonInReno said:

Sewing machine oil is all I wipe the outside with.  It desolves old dried oil and is pretty simple.

Thanks that's what I used, but it seems to attract a bit of dust... What do you do for that?

I keep a cover on it and usually wipe it quickly after oiling and before sewing in case any oil has dripped on the needle plate.

On 12/20/2018 at 9:05 AM, DonInReno said:

I keep a cover on it and usually wipe it quickly after oiling and before sewing in case any oil has dripped on the needle plate.

Thanks Don, did you make the cover yourself? I'd love to make one out of clear vinyl so I can still admire the machine from under the cover as I pass by :lol:

Edited by Sugarkryptonite

It’s funny you say that - I also like to see the machines and my covers are 10 mil clear poly bags cut to just fit around the machines and almost stand up on their own.  To be honest I don’t know if these bags were originally 55 gal super heavy trash bags or if they were sold as garment bags.   Heavy clear poly is one of my favorite pattern materials for equipment covers - easy to cut and edges can be heat welded with an ordinary clothes iron by placing parchment paper between the iron and plastic.  Clear vinyl would make a good cover. 

56 minutes ago, DonInReno said:

It’s funny you say that - I also like to see the machines and my covers are 10 mil clear poly bags cut to just fit around the machines and almost stand up on their own.  To be honest I don’t know if these bags were originally 55 gal super heavy trash bags or if they were sold as garment bags.   Heavy clear poly is one of my favorite pattern materials for equipment covers - easy to cut and edges can be heat welded with an ordinary clothes iron by placing parchment paper between the iron and plastic.  Clear vinyl would make a good cover. 

Gotcha, thanks!