alexitbe

Pfaff 193 arm shaft disaster..

Well, I have been trying to get a post bed roll foot for shoemaking for ages and just before Christmas I found one.  Instead of the 9hr journey each way, I convinced the guy to send it buy post...  It arrived just in time for Christmas and its broken... Seriously broken.

The arm drive shaft has been broken right at the balance wheel.

So I have two question one about disassmbling and the other about fixing the shaft.

Is it possible to loosen everything attached to the arm shaft and slide it out or will I have to disassemble the whole machine? I don't think I can do the latter..

Should I replace the shaft or would it be possible to bronze braze it?  I have an old pfaff 142 and wondered if the arm shaft might fit... I cannot find anyone selling spare parts for the 193 despite thinking it was still in production...

Its really put a dampner on my Christmas, I know it shouldn't but I thought I finally had the last important piece for my shoemaking hobby... and now I am back to fixing instead of shoemaking..

Any advice and word of hope would be greatfully recieved.. :)

Have a good Christmas.

Alex

DSC00800.JPG

DSC00802.JPG

DSC00808.JPG

DSC00803.JPG

Damn - thats bullshit! :wacko:

Shipping a sewing machine from an "unexperienced" seller (in terms of shipping) is a 50/50 risk . I would always remove the hand wheel form the machine when shipping it or support the machine with styrofoam the way the hand wheel is free. And you at least need 1.5" styrofoam on each side (more is better) of the machine + it has to be packed real tight!

I have a parts list for a "new and old" 193. I´ll send them by email.

Pfaff once changed their parts numbers - what I have observed is that the old part number is part of the new part number meaning they added some digits as prefix and some digits as suffix.

The old number of the arm shaft is 10002 - the new number is 91-0100 002-05

College Sewing seems to have the shaft - seems this is the one but better check with them:

https://www.college-sewing.co.uk/store/9101000205000-ARM-SHAFT-GENUINE-PFAFF

German dealers might be cheaper but my experience is (ordered Pfaff parts once and requested prices from 10-12 different dealers) that CS necessarily is NOT the most expensive. Prices from German dealers varied by more than 100%.

Edited by Constabulary

¿¿Looks like someone filled in that spoked handwheel for heavier mass??

And Merry Christmas.

Edited by jimi

Thanks Constab and Jimi for the information...

It was really my fault, the old man didn't really want to post, but I convinced him it would be ok.  So I must take the hit...  Lesson learned.

The machine was from an old Salamander shoe factory, so maybe they filled in the wheel... The machine hasn't been used for a very long time and the old man said he was glad it would be used for shoemaking again.  I guess he used to work in the factory.

Will I need to strip the sewing machine completely? This is my biggest fear.

Cheers

Alex

Really strange, that a shaft of stainless steel can fracture like that

You could use the tactic some of my old customers used, something like a letter / email to Singer stating my machine broke after only 100 years so i demand a replacement, although in my case it was workwear that had not lasted being used for three years or something like the red uniform is to red even though they had photo's before they ordered it

LOL

chris

I don´t think the shaft is stainless steel.

I haven´t pulled a top shaft yet and cannot support here but you at least have to remove all gears and all parts attached to the top shaft. I have a disassembling / assembling instruction for the Pfaff 145  - maybe it helps you a bit - the head is "quite" similar.

I have sent you the parts lists I have - I hope they help a bit.

Dismantling Pfaff 145.PDF

Edited by Constabulary

2 hours ago, DanishMan said:

shaft of stainless steel can fracture like that

The visible crystal structure is not from stainless steel.  I also don't see why a manufacturer would use more expensive SS when CS will do the job quite adequately.

Tom

I guess you are right - but still weird. The package must have taken severe beating.

2 hours ago, DanishMan said:

I guess you are right - but still weird. The package must have taken severe beating.

Bent shafts and broken hand-wheels are common when sewing machines are not properly supported and packed.  Many items get dropped a few feet during shipment for one reason or another.  Insurance might help, but sometimes very hard to get the parts to repair or to straighten a bent shaft.  There are stories here too about cracked or broken beds.  The lesson here is to ensure the shipper knows how to pack and packs it correctly.  Otherwise, may be best to skip the "great deal" and wait for one closer to home.

Tom

On 12/21/2018 at 5:22 PM, Constabulary said:

I haven´t pulled a top shaft yet and cannot support here but you at least have to remove all gears and all parts attached to the top shaft. I have a disassembling / assembling instruction for the Pfaff 145  - maybe it helps you a bit - the head is "quite" similar.

Thanks for that Constab.

At the moment, I am having a think about what to do...

Hopefully after Christmas, after stuffing my face with beer and Kloeser, I will have a clearer idea of how to proceed.

Hope you all have a wonderful Christmas.

Alex

Ye Gods, Thats some serious damage. It must have received  one almighty ' wallop '  to snap the shaft. 

I thinks its safe  to say that everyone on here is feeling your hurt .

Well, if it was mine I'd be considering three options 

• A total rebuild/ restoration 
  • Replace just the shaft
  • and/or  obtaining a donor machine 

I think the third option maybe good idea if you wish to speed things up to get into making shoes ? 

Whatever you decide to do, I wish you the best ,

HS 

On 12/21/2018 at 10:22 AM, Constabulary said:

Man I was dizzy reading this pdf without pictures.:wacko: I need pictures!  But have a 145 I need to clean and tune soon.  My sister bought it sight unseen by me at an estate sale only because I needed a Pfaff knee lifter table for my 238.  Didn't even pay attention to the machine for a couple of years. But then realized is was a pretty nice 145.

don´t know who typed it - must be decades old. I once found it in a lot of manuals I bought. You may need the "old" parts list (with old Pfaff parts numbers) to understand what parts they mean. I have an old 145 parts list but its too big to attach - if you need it send me a PM so I can forward it by Email.

@alexitbe & @councilman24 here, I've found a parts list , its in an assortment of languages but I hope its helps

https://www.universalsewing.com/images2/parts_lists/all/9pf23e73.pdf

I found it on here: https://www.universalsewing.com/tek9.asp?pg=parts_pfaff 

HS 

I have been thinking...  I have several possible solutions at the moment, but I think I have a quick and dirty one that might work...temporarily

Step 1: I will leave the shaft in the sewing machine and drill a hole through the length of the small broken off part. ( I will find someone with a lathe).

Step 2  This part will then be glued with JB Weld to the main part of the shaft and will act as a drilling guide to allow me to drill 15mm in to the main shaft, by hand or with a drill press.

Step 3: Thread(left hand) the hole and then ream out the hole so that the only threaded place is in the main shaft.

Step 4: Use a reverse thread hex head screw to fix the two pieces firmly together...I might have to re-glue the two pieces since it will have been exposed to high temperature during the hand drilling

Might work... Just depends if the shaft is terribly hard...

Cheers

alex

good luck with that!  :blink: I know you want to avoid pulling the top shaft. But I´m not sure if it really is worth the effort and at he end not sure if it will work / last at all. :wacko:

If it were my machine, I would take it to reputable cast iron welding shop and get their opinion and estimate for repair (with the shaft out).  Regarding removing the top shaft, I can only say it wasn't that big of a deal with my Claes 8345 patcher.  Removing the taper pin holding the handwheel onto the shaft was the big deal, I couldn't decide which way the pin went because of my inexperience (the ends were somewhat deformed) and lack of instructions.  In your case, if there is a taper pin,  it may be in the handwheel and off of the machine, in which case removing the shaft should be straight forward.

Iirc once my machine was reassembled, I realized the shaft could be removed without totally stripping the machine.  Perhaps the professionals will comment on that for the Pfaff 193

Btw, when you go to remove or replace a handwheel, don't beat it on or off the shaft, lock the internal gears with a block of wood or similar and rotate the handwheel while pulling or pushing.  Be sure the shaft and insides of the handwheel are free of burrs, smooth (a micrometer helps) and lubricated.

Regarding your doubt about the hardness of the 193 shaft, fwiw, I needed to true-up the end of my Singer 45K25 shaft recently to re-install the handwheel,  it filed/sanded easily, so it wasn't too hard.

Best of luck with it.

Edited by Evo160K

The alignment would have to be very precise . 

All the best, and let us know how it turns out eh ? 

HS 

On 1/6/2019 at 5:39 PM, alexitbe said:

Guess we will see.

Any updates ?