Sugarkryptonite

Singer 111W153 & table resto project

4 hours ago, DSloop said:

post an image of the area of the hook, where the thread is shown and discussed in the video above. Is it a Simanco hook? just curious.tyvm

quote--(I was hoping someone could help me with adjusting the presser foot knee lift. Whenever I do it, the rod on the machine seems to want to twist, and then all of a sudden it "lets go", and makes a spring type noise. From the videos I've watched, the action is suppose to be smooth. Also, could someone explain how to adjust the spring that is on the rod itself with the set screw? Not sure where to set it exactly.)

The end of the lifting rod under the machine needs a smooth rounded surface, like a small wheel, or in my case a small heim joint that I repurposed.

s-l1000.jpgI just slid the end over the lifting rod, with a thin piece of foam rubber wrapped around the rod to prevent it from falling off. You could thread the rod if it was the right size, mine was not. The round surface will provide a better smoother action where it touches the metal pad  when you use the knee lift.

Great idea, thanks!

Thanks to DSloop's idea, and seeing pics of the Consew 226B lift arm which has a similar bearing on the end, my dad and I decided to make our own. I included some pics of the machining process for those interested. Seems to work well. 

pK09aOc.jpg

gMcm7ZP.jpg

2CnhTKB.jpg

B7cz0hP.jpg

pqT56Rm.jpg

JlfeSkR.jpg

Also added its own tire on the wheel :crazy:

08PGsgu.jpg

HDiWU0Z.jpg

WTheepD.jpg

ZS6Geyq.jpg

That is one beautiful piece of work! Kudos!

1 hour ago, katit said:

What is this for?

I believe it is a presser foot knee lift roller, but I could have misread the description.

38 minutes ago, Wizcrafts said:

I believe it is a presser foot knee lift roller, but I could have misread the description.

Looks like it. Never seen anything like that, some installed pics would be nice

It depends on the foot lift mechanism, some are push types, some are pull types and and some have a kind of bell crank lever installed on the underside of the flt bed where the roller pushes against (like my 307G2 Singer)

So sometimes knee lifters come with a roller installed or a roller is installed on end of the lifter rod on the machine  - they look like this.

IMG_5168.JPG

IMG_5169.JPG

IMG_5170.JPG

That looks really nice.  

Nice job!!!!

glenn

It seems like I  always have some bronze scrap laying around...

-DC

Juki_knee_lift_roller.jpg

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 6:54 PM, Sugarkryptonite said:

Thanks to DSloop's idea, and seeing pics of the Consew 226B lift arm which has a similar bearing on the end, my dad and I decided to make our own. I included some pics of the machining process for those interested. Seems to work well. 

pK09aOc.jpg

gMcm7ZP.jpg

2CnhTKB.jpg

B7cz0hP.jpg

pqT56Rm.jpg

JlfeSkR.jpg

Also added its own tire on the wheel :crazy:

08PGsgu.jpg

HDiWU0Z.jpg

WTheepD.jpg

ZS6Geyq.jpg

Mine looks like crap now.  Too bad I don't have a machine shop.

31 minutes ago, DSloop said:

Mine looks like crap now.  Too bad I don't have a machine shop.

:P Not at all, Yours is still a simple, elegant solution my friend. :rockon:

I kinda wish I had made it wider now and put a real bearing in it. I think the larger surface area as seen in the posts above when rolling helps it out.

Edited by Sugarkryptonite

On 1/22/2019 at 8:10 PM, DSloop said:

Bobbin tension kinda stays the same unless you go from light to very heavy thread. Did you set it where the thread is resisting being pulled from the holder? It should not be loose, but offer good resistance.

Check ALL of the guides and little holes where the thread runs thru.If there is even a small groove for the thread to catch it will mess everything up. Get a good magnifying glass and check those out, along with the tension discs. I don't run the thread thru the small guide at the foot, it runs just fine with out going thru it.

I adjust the part in image 4 so it lets the thread thru freely, it don't require a lot of attention. (I think).

Remove the take up discs off as a pair, but leave the spring on the machine.

Wind the thread take up spring around clockwise 1 turn then put the discs back on. This can be a pain, make sure you don't trap the little spring with the discs, there is a shoulder back there for it .

Good luck.

How do you adjust the bobbin tension?

On 1/22/2019 at 8:10 PM, DSloop said:

Bobbin tension kinda stays the same unless you go from light to very heavy thread. Did you set it where the thread is resisting being pulled from the holder? It should not be loose, but offer good resistance.

Check ALL of the guides and little holes where the thread runs thru.If there is even a small groove for the thread to catch it will mess everything up. Get a good magnifying glass and check those out, along with the tension discs. I don't run the thread thru the small guide at the foot, it runs just fine with out going thru it.

I adjust the part in image 4 so it lets the thread thru freely, it don't require a lot of attention. (I think).

Remove the take up discs off as a pair, but leave the spring on the machine.

Wind the thread take up spring around clockwise 1 turn then put the discs back on. This can be a pain, make sure you don't trap the little spring with the discs, there is a shoulder back there for it .

Good luck.

How exactly do you adjust the bobbin tension ?

Edited by Wizcrafts
Eliminated double reply

There is 2 small screws holding tensioner to bobbin case. Tensioner is basicallly flat metal piece. When thread goes between this plate and bobbin case - it rubs creating tension. You need to adjust using center screw in very small 1/4 increments. Opening - will open gap decreasing tension, closing - will close gap increasing tension. You need to rotate hook in a position where you see those screws on a side.

You should feel tension when pulling bottom thread. And you should feel difference after making adjustments. Sorry, I can't find any pictures

4 hours ago, HCLW said:

How exactly do you adjust the bobbin tension ?

That does not need to be adjusted unless you go from a large diameter thread to a very small one. Usually. Top thread tension seems to regulate the bobbin thread tension good enough.