I've got a couple of dog collars I dyed with alcohol-based Angeles dyes. They're on the lighter side (purple and turquoise), so I'd like to find a finish that's both appropriate for an alcohol-based dye and that (hopefully) won't make them significantly darker. I've got pretty much every finish under the sun, I just don't remember which is best for this situation. Does anyone have any suggestions/experience?

This is what I've got on my shelf:

• Aussie Leather Conditioner
  • Fiebing's Saddle Lac
  • Tokonole 
  • Eco-Flo Super Shene
  • Eco-Flo Carnauba Creme
  • Fiebing's Tan Kote
  • Fiebing's Leather Baum with Atom Wax
  • Fiebing's Resolene
  • Dr. Jackson's Neatsfoot Oil

I posted this in the middle of the night, so it might have been missed. Giving a little bump in hopes of getting some answers. I'm trying to finish these on the earlier side of today.

I would seal with either Resolene; several thinned coats, or Eco- Super Shene, then when thats dry rub in some Aussie Leather conditioner

I'm going to guess you haven't put any oil on it yet, and veg tan with alcohol dyes generally needs oil.  Which means it's probably going to get darker.  You could try putting neatsfoot lightly on the back of the collar, might reduce the darkening.

Neatlac might work on the color side, but I'd try a test sample before your final product!

YinTx

No, I skipped over the oil (I'm out of practice). I did wipe it down with deglazer first, but that was the only prepping I did.

My SOP is to apply Bees Natural oil (will not darken leather) and after dried, apply Clear lac.  Never have had any rub off.  Might add Clear lac and saddle lac are two completely different products.

Terry

Edited by terrymac