Caesar

List of Youtube Leathercraft channels

7 minutes ago, mason1800 said:

@JLSleather And where can I find Sandy's info??? Im looking to buy some nice metal clicker dies.  If you dont mind. Oh and thanks for the Field notes /Passport  cover a few years back... lol 

Welcome - no charge ;) And you can get to Sandy by clicking the BLUE (earth) pic under my posts.  Take ya right to her site. Nice gal, good work. 

3 minutes ago, mikesc said:

Jeff.."a referral" is when you post ( using words , not images ) in reply to someone who posts saying they are looking for "X" .."Hey this guy does a pretty good X"..I bought one and it I recommend them..

Agreed.  And if you get asked FREQUENTLY, you might post a link that's ongoing, a "running link" of sorts, so when you get asked you just say  "click the pic below, take ya where ya needa go" (see example 1 inch up).

"Agreed. And if you get asked FREQUENTLY, you might post a link that's ongoing, a "running link" of sorts, so when you get asked you just say "click the pic below, take ya where ya needa go" (see example 1 inch up). "

Well, I have to say..I'm just glad that wiz only posts text links then considering how many times he gets asked ( directly, as opposed to "does anyone know of a ..." IME, that is the way that 99% of threads here go, otherwise all the asking directly must be being done via pm* ) , else his "sig" would look like Times Square with all the images / ads.

You watch far more of these videos than I do ;) ..I think I only ever watched maybe two of Nigel's , and two of Harry's ( Oh ,and that one from the "Levi ( sewing machine dealer ) guy" who doesn't know how to thread a machine, and I watched a sailright one, till all the rattlin' and clankin' got too much, so I shut it off....

I must watch some of Brian's , despite the ads that youtube will put on / in / around them..all youtube ads I have ever seen ( not many ) are highly irrelevant to the subject of the videos..just like adsense went..irrelevant ads, at best for things that you already bought, or were just researching and don't want to buy..

*yeah..Mason1800 just asked you "directly"..but mostly..posters ask "everyone in general", when they post..or they send pms directly..

Edited by mikesc
typos, tired eyes..

7 minutes ago, mikesc said:

.I must watch Brian's

They not that good mate, but you've gone and motivated me a bit now so have a look next week maybe. This stuff is all a bit academic for me but isn't a referral the same as an add really? I was sort of hoping that Jeff was getting something for those links in his sig as I was wondering about whether or not to look for any $$$$ myself in that area. You know like it might help pay to make a few worthwhile no BS vids. I don't know much about this bandwidth stuff but I would have thought Joanna would have said something or stopped it if she didn't like it. I might have to have a talk with her as I might be just adding some expense or other that I could be avoiding.

P.S. Any body reading this please support this site by being a proud  contributor and know that we all gain something from what this site gives back to us.

Brian

:) Brian, if your videos are half as good as your "how tos" they'll be brilliant..I've no worries there :)

The bandwidth I meant wasn't Johanna's, although the server isn't "unlimited"..

I meant the bandwidth of anyone reading posts / threads..I have truly unlimited data allowance ( just as well as we "pull down" maybe 50 terrabytes per day at least just on the computer lines )n ..same "unlimited" data and calling for phones..But I know many in the USA who 's cell phone plans have very small data allowances..and "overages" can get expensive for them, or they can lose their service until the next month..I have a friend in the USA whose "cell plan" is 2 Gigs per month..no way to change..his supplier is the only supplier for 50 miles..Lot of towns in the USA have no choice..or a choice of only two providers..Some folks even have to pay when you call them!

A referral is if I asked you personally .."Brian, where can I get salt water croc skins ? "..And you said.."Phone Jimmy, he'll see you right"..So I phone Jimmy and say "Brian referred me to you"..

An ad is if every time anyone was peaking about anything, you joined in holding up a sign that said "Jimmy's saltwater croc skins"..
Nowadays it gets called "product placement"..Apple are masters of it..almost every computer on TV or in a movie has an apple on the lid..there is a coke can on every table..even in Video games there are billboards..Microsoft are crap at product placement..which is why in Hawaii 5 O they kept saying "just Bing it!"..which nobody would ever say.. :)

Often it's better to be not to actually be "paid", but to be at the front of the line , or be a priority with a supplier, because they have customers coming to them saying "Jeff, or Brian , or Mike sent me"..Next time you go ..you get thanks, and maybe a bit of extra service.. :)

ps..it is actually faster to make a text link to Jimmy'scrocskins.com ( takes less typing, fewer characters on the keyboard and in the HTML ) than to say .. "Click on the image in my sig , the blue one, to go to Jimmy's croc skins"..or takes more typing, characters, time etc to write "click the pic below, take ya where ya needa go" or "And you can get to Sandy by clicking the BLUE (earth) pic under my posts. Take ya right to her site" than it does to type http://intdieco.com/index.html

I'll bet there are already "rehashes" badly done by "instant experts" ( because they'll have seen your originals, and rushed to make copies, for the fame, the glory, and the ad money;) ) of your vids on youtube, daily motion and vimeo.

You should run classes ( online via subscription ..not on youtube ) ..as well as videos ,and books PDFs ( locked down against pirating ) , and real books..a project for when you retire :)

1 hour ago, mikesc said:

and two of Harry's

What????  Oh Mike, say it isn't so!!!!  You're endorsing Harry and his "release the tension during the sewing cycle" to get discredit JLSleather???  Really????  Are you feeling poorly today?

Maybe you should take a while off and go watch some videos.

Tisk, tisk, tisk

CD in Oklahoma

Actually, I might be in on watch 1 er 2 o that @RA thing... we don't agree on everything but i think he got some good ideas. :dunno:

But most "leather" videos is some du ... well, what I was going to say wasn't really flattering to anybody so maybe I'll just let that go.   Maybe I'll try Aussie's video er 2 if he puts em up.  I really kaint take that british accent much, but maybe down under be okay?

BUT, I still check on occasion, cuz COULD HAPPEN somebody actually post something worthwhile, beyond the standard [and genuinely pathetic] "hey look at me!.  Now, I did just watch part of one by Don Gonzalez.  Did NOT contain the information I thought it might (I've seen a few of his, and only once did I not agree with the way he was doing what he was doing).  SO THEN, since I agree with Don... a bit pointless to spend MUCH time watching somebody do what I already do! But at least the guy HAS A POINT. And I don't doubt that the video was of some help to more than one OTHER person.

The BANNER under my posts (if you prefer that terminology) looks like a total of 59kb.  That's K's, not M's.  IF somebody's "bandwidth" or cell plan or age limit or IQ is less than that, then they probably didn't make it past the log in anyway ;) And pretty much ANY ONE of the pics you see on this site is 5x that, minimum.  And they likely aren't watching ANY videos.  But the point is... if we've had that conversation before.. no need to PM and wait on a resonse... fella might just remember we talked about that.. and find ANY ONE of my posts for the link.

Edited by JLSleather

I watched them cd :) ( "research" to see what you were talking about* when you mentioned his "release the tension"..But definitely did not endorse them..nor did I "discredit JLSleather" :)

You weren't making a referral there when you mentioned Harry, were you ? :)

I'd have missed this thread altogether ( it would have dropped off the "front page", and nowadays, having read all the old threads before I joined, I don't "explore" threads which are not in the right side column much, don't have the time ) but for Jeff posting ..
" Hey, guys... I'm SO excited about this new opportunity I just had to make this video to 'share it' with y'all ... :rofl:

How'sat go about 'protesting" too much?

Advertise:
verb (used with object), ad·ver·tised, ad·ver·tis·ing.
to announce or praise (a product, service, etc.) in some public medium of communication in order to induce people to buy or use it:to advertise a new brand of toothpaste.
to give information to the public about; announce publicly in a newspaper, on radio or television, etc.:to advertise a reward.
"
around 10 hours ago..
That post brought it into the right-side column..right when I was refreshing / relaunching a crashed Firefox session..

I read it and thought ..Matthew, chapter 7, verses 1 to 5

Especially as the reason given that the "sig" is "a referral" and "not an ad" was "when somebody asks me"..except nobody had asked at that point in this thread, but I'd seen 15 ads in the a same sig 5 times..and usually nobody does ask a specific person to recommend a specific supplier ( that is what pms are for ) they ask "does anyone know" or "can anyone recommend" , or "where can I find."..or "who sells", or "does anyone know who makes" ..but the ads in the sig are always there..that is what makes them ads..the "I make referrals, others place ads, and they should "fess up" about it", "protestation" amuses me.. :)

'n' Jeff enjoys the joust :)

Ya got me..what is that @RA thing ?

"I really kaint take that british accent much, but maybe down under be okay?"

Good lord..Aussies don't speak with a British accent..

Most of the British don't either these days, London and Liverpool ( the fault of Two "soap operas", Brookside and Eastenders and one kids TV show ( Grange Hill ) have resulted in a huge number of English Brits talking like Tony Blair or David and Victoria Beckham ( if you can, call what they do "talking"..imagine naming your child Harper and being incapable of saying 'is naym"..c'mere 'arpah ) ..strewth..bludgers..

nearly, but not quite as bad as Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins, or that awful girl in the Elementary TV series ( not Lucy Liu who is as always perfect, but Ophelia Lovibond, who never met an H that she didn't drop..or also any end of word consonant for that matter..Diction ?..weev 'erd ovi inni .

Aussies speak like Aussies..clearly..which is why many are in Broadcasting and TV and Movies.

For instance ( not necessarily holding these up as to emulate,although they all do have very clear natural speaking voices when they are not acting a role, frequently as an USAian , but they are Aussies ) Russell Crowe, Cate Blanchett, Nichole Kidman etc..
https://www.imdb.com/list/ls002018429/
and
https://www.ranker.com/list/film-actors-from-australia/reference
and so that you have faces to put to the names..
https://thesmartlocal.com/read/australian-hollywood-stars/

Jeff.( I type slowly in English on a French keyboard..so I missed this )
"The BANNER under my posts (if you prefer that terminology) looks like a total of 59kb. That's K's, not M's. IF somebody's "bandwidth" or cell plan or age limit or IQ is less than that, then they probably didn't make it past the log in anyway ;) And pretty much ANY ONE of the pics you see on this site is 5x that, minimum. And they likely aren't watching ANY videos. But the point is..."

Yep 59kb isn't much..But a good web page, is a lean , lightweight web page,avatars and pictures in sigs is "bloat"..
the total "data weight" of the first page in this thread ( excluding images ) is 46.76 KB (47,880 bytes)..that is under 47 KB..for all the HTML ( the code behind the scenes ) and all the posts..even that is pretty "heavy" , but then it is software ( well scripts to be more accurate ) that generates each page and CMS software is always "heavy"..I remember when I would hand code entire websites of 50 or so pages ( including images ) to be less " heavy" than an average page on many websites including images now.. :o

The image upload limit ( per post , for most members here is 1.44mb..the size of a floppy disc ..and we used to get hundreds of images, photos, good clean well defined, colour, onto a single floppy disc..depending on the text, you could store between 500 and 700 pages of text on a floppy disc ) and some folks still complain that the image size here is too small for them to post images..or even a single image..

Edited by mikesc

9 hours ago, JLSleather said:

AI really kaint take that british accent much, but maybe down under be okay?

Which one kaint you take? There's probably a few hundred local accents in Britain, several distinct British languages, and many regional dialects, though as Mike says a lot of them are disappearing fast. Here's a fair imitation of but 17 accents:

Legend has it, until the massive social changes of the 1960s, locals in high-population-density areas like London's East End could tell to within a street or two where someone had grown up just by their accent. Even today people from a region can tell a difference between people from adjoining cities, and non-locals can often tell which bit of each county the speaker's from.

8 hours ago, mikesc said:

Ya got me..what is that @RA thing ?

Rocky Aussie

Aussies don't speak with a British accent..

Didn't say they did. In fact, I made a contrast (whatever you call that over there, when you make a point of comparing two or more things, ONE of which might be acceptable and other(s) which are not).  I can't listen to a UK (whatever those are called now) but maybe watch a video by a Queenslander?

The wench wife is an imported Kiwi, so I have some knowledge of the dialects though never been there myself (WHY would i go there, they ALL talk like that).  I can generally pick up the difference quickly between NZ, AU, South African.... though she can probably tell you which side of town you're from.

Any rate, I've seen PARTS of videos by a couple people claiming to be from the UK (I wouldn't know, and they might have lied, though motive escapes me) with "accents" I simply wouldn't care to be subjected to for long.

Other hand, some from there would say the same thing about me.  When the wife's niece was younger (you know, teenager girls and those raging hormones) she would call when she KNEW we weren't home just so she could hear my "american accent".  :rolleyes2: ANybody else remember answering machines?@!

Yep 59kb isn't much..But a good web page, is a lean , lightweight web page,avatars and pictures in sigs is "bloat"..

You mean THIS site ?@! :rofl:  98% of the content here is useless noise (that percentage is a statistic invented just now from thin air solely to make a point - I haven't counted it).  Embedded videos scattered through pages that have little to do with that video... etc.  I rarely mention a video, but if I do i know how to post the LINK for those who care, rather than embedding so that it plays for your friends on low cap cell plans.

I don't post pics in Megs (well, i might have done it once).  Just no point.  A pic doesn't need to be 2500 px across to make a point.  I'm with you actually, I like TEXT.  Got something to SAY, then SAY it.  BUt these days, people are LAZY.  If there isn't a video or a row of pics, they aren't going to get it.  And when I do TYPE, I often get people saying they're "visual learners"  :dunno:

Course, gotta sometimes wonder why I bother to mention some things at all (admitted my own fault).   Those people who love to go on about videos, and often give you the link to those same videos, STILL don't seem to grasp the skill/task described in the video :o  Not sure how that's possible actually.  And I've had people thank me, thank me, thank me... for information I presented, which wasn't even mine and was clearly shown in that book they bought at Tandy over a year ago.

But the "ads" I was referring to... are mostly those where somebody "helps" leather workers out with yet another video showing the same thing he "showed us" in the last 5 (or 10) he made (I say 'he' because you don't see too many of the gals making them).

But my turn is coming.  One day soon I WILL make a couple more videos.  They'll be LONGER than what I would normally, usually do.  They'll have cans of peas lining a shelf somewhere in the room, so that I can say that I'm recording in "1080 peas". And I'll probably git me a pensil 'n' trace around a dummy gun... fer about 5 minutes .. all while refusing to mention that my teacher taught me how to trace around stuff when I was 4 ... :rofl:

Well, no maybe I won't do that.  Others already have that covered repeatedly. And that's my bottom line about videos.  Making a "how to" video?  Then it should show HOW TO do what it says (or you lied). Making a video that you've personally seen 10 other people explain already?  Then don't have such a SMALL MAN COMPLEX that you can't just say "to get this part, see this guy's video about that".

Now THAS JUST kinda funny.  In the midst of the discussion of videos, and content not about leather, we have a video - embedded content - about english or british or whatever accents ;)

I used to watch Monte Python... cuz them boys is funny.  For half an hour.

I agree with everything in your last two posts there Jeff.. :) Except for the "WHY would i go there, they ALL talk like that" ..

They don't, they have distinct accents depending upon which part of NZ they come from..Kind of like you don't sound like Emily Proctor..least I don't think you do ? :)..

Why do people make copies of other people's videos..instead of just linking to the originals ?..IME ( talked with some of them about it ) the search for fame, glory, the possibility of being a legend in their own bathrobe, and the enticement of Google maybe making them rich if enough people click on their video and allow the ads to roll..Which considering how much of a "niche" subject leatherworking is, "ain't gonna happen" ( look at the "view" numbers under any video, and then do the maths..The fact that since a while now ( about 3 years I think ) any "youtube channel" needs to have at least 300 "sign ups" ( that is actual "subscribers" ), to the channel, to get any money at all out of Google for each video seen..Google still roll the ads around and in the videos, and the advertisers still pay Google, but Google keep all the ad money..Unless the channel has over 300 subscribers ..even if it has hundreds of thousands, or millions of "views"..

Btw..the payout rate is 10cts per 1000 views..or less..Google keep much more than that per "view".

Making videos on youtube in the hope of getting rich via ad money from Google is right up there with the "idiot tax" ( lottery ) .

The people who get a living out of Youtube are those who have "sponsors", or who place "product" in their videos or who link out to "product" with "affiliate links"..Instagram, facebook et al work the same or a very similar way..

Yes..the "embedded" video about accents in a thread about videos , near blew my recently replaced irony meter ..again.. :)
Matt must have been typing with his tongue firmly in his cheek :)

Btw..pages with embedded youtube videos in them,( if you already have another tab open with a youtube video running, or that has had a youtube video running even if it is now finished, and even if the tab has now been closed ) run up the load on the RAM and the CPU ( on a phone, a tablet, a desktop or laptop machine )..even if the embedded video has not been clicked yet ..Because of the way that Browsers work they read the code that says "video is here" then they allocate resources to it, "just in case"..Like when you fire up photoshop, it grabs around 70% of your RAM, "just in case" even before you open any images with it. Video makes machines run slower, hogs resources..which is why machines that are set up to run a lot of video ( like gamers machines or video editing machines ) have a lot of RAM with the GPU, and fast GPUs..takes some of the "thinking / processing / calculating load" off the CPU and the MOBO RAM.

Think of "video" to CPUs as being like gum to Gerald Ford :)

Edited by mikesc

"Posted 21 hours ago  I watched them cd :) ( "research" to see what you were talking about* when you mentioned his "release the tension"..But definitely did not endorse them..nor did I "discredit JLSleather" :) You weren't making a referral there when you mentioned Harry, were you ? :)"

Mike, leave off the smiley faces when you talk to me, and no, I was definitely NOT MAKING A REFERRAL.

You must not have watched enough of Harry's videos.  People can pull videos out of their patute to make money with Ya-patute, and Ya-patute doesn’t care as long as the views are there.  You’re really saying that you don’t see anything wrong with Harry’s videos?  Really?

Your quote: Advertise: verb (used with object), ad•ver•tised, ad•ver•tis•ing.
to announce or praise (a product, service, etc.) in some public medium of communication in order to induce people to buy or use it.

So...If the advertisement is false, or the video that they’re selling is false, you’re still good with it?

CD in Oklahoma

CD.re the smiley faces I'm rarely logged in here, ( I'm not logged in now..the scripts that run here crash my firefox if I'm logged in ) so when I make smiley faces, they are as old school friendly emoticons, what the board software does to them and what anyone who is logged in sees in them..is nothing to do with me..

My point was that obviously you were not making a "referral" to Harry..by which I mean you were not making a referral in the sense of a recommendation of Harry, but you were saying he made videos..you were referring to him..but you were not referring him..I thought you'd have got the gentle humour there..

I've only watched two of Harry's videos..why would I watch more..I went back and watched the one that you linked to in your thread to make sure that I had not missed anything..and indeed he says that the tension is released..Which I agreed with you in an other thread is totally wrong..and incorrect..and illogical.

At no time have I ever said that I think there is nothing wrong with his videos..I have no idea where you get that from, that is putting words into my mouth ( or posts ) which have never been put there by me.

The quote that you attribute to me..is not my words either..it is me quoting what Jeff posted...I have no idea where ho got it from..it sure was not me, nor my words.

My words would be different as I consider the text that Jeff quoted to be an inaccurate definition of advertising..

and if I was going to use bullet points to make syllabic breaks in words, I'd actually make sure that the bullet points did make syllabic breaks in the words.."tised" is not one syllable, it is two syllables.

I have never said ( either on or off line ) that I am "good with" or OK with, or that I think that advertising which makes false claims is OK..

Having worked in advertising ( both in the UK and North America in the 70s, freelance with major international ad agencies, JWT, McCann, ( formerly McCann Erickson ) and others ) I was one of the people in the ad business who have always publicly been against false advertising of any sort..didn't make me many friends in the ad business ) ..I put honesty, integrity and ethics above profits, always did, always will.

"The video that they are selling" doesn't make sense as a phrase..who is selling which video ?

I presume you mean "the claims that they are promoting in their video(s)"

That would make more sense..

But I have never said that I was OK, with any of that, nor have I implied it.

You really need to stop miss quoting me, miss-attributing thoughts and motives to me which I have not had , do not have, and ( unless I get a sudden 180 shift in my ethics and personality ..unlikely ) will never have or say.

You might also want to stop trying to pick fights ( not the first time that you have tried this ) with me over what you imagine I have said or thought or done..I have no idea why you are doing so.

Edited by mikesc
typos