internetcowboy

Acrylic Paint on Leather

So my question starts here.  I am looking to paint, (not dye), some leather projects I am currently working on.  From my research one of the best leather paints is Angelus acrylic.  While I don't have an issue paying the money and ordering it my problem is this.  I live in the midwest.  It is currently 26 degrees outside.  I do not have a local store that has "acrylic leather paint"  I cannot order the Angelus and have it shipped as it will freeze and ruin it.   I do have a Hobby Lobby within an hours drive so the question is,  can I use Hobby Lobby "Master's Touch Acrylic Paint" on leather and can it then be sealed with something like super sheen?  Is there a big difference between "Acrylic Paint" and "Angelus Acrylic Leather Paint"

Hope someone out there can help me...

6 hours ago, internetcowboy said:

Is there a big difference between "Acrylic Paint" and "Angelus Acrylic Leather Paint"

Yes. Massive.
Angelus and Jacquard are my go to paints at the moment.
You can try other 'art paints' but they're too thick. If you do, thin them as much as you possibly can.

Edited by robs456

Createx is fine, but you will have to thin it.

Thanks for the information.  Good to know.  Think I will figure out a way to get a hold of some Angelus or maybe try some that Tandy has.  I am about two hours away from the closest Tandy.

@immiketoo has some background with different acrylics. He may have a hobby lobby suggestion.

I'm not sure about the Hobby Lobby paint, but I've been using the Apple Barn brand acrylic paint from Walmart with really good results, but you will need to water it down and build it up with several coats. Just put a clear coat of choice over it to seal it. The paint is super cheap too.   

Thanks Bikermutt for including me in this convo.  We do a LOT of acrylic on leather and the hype about Angelus is just hype.  Frankly I hate the stuff.  Too thick out of the bottle and when you thin it, the color breaks down so it’s useless.  

We use Golden hi-flow acrylic almost exclusively with the exception of Lumiere for metallics and createx airbrush colors because they’re thin.

thin is the way to go with acrylic because you get the best adhesion to the leather and you can sneak up on your colors as opposed to slopping it on thick.  Golden has the widest array of colors and hues, and are readily available locally in most cases.  I highly recommend them and Createx.

additionally, you can use them with an airbrush right out of the bottle.

here are some examples of golden on leather.

86593503-E83A-4C33-A5A1-971B41DDCF75.jpeg

53C7C89F-3961-46A0-B0D8-C32755AA3892.jpeg

A6B5B07D-86D5-4BC8-B9AA-13D2D4ACCD08.jpeg

F46B80B0-D290-4F9E-BDE8-FCB48AFA1AC1.jpeg

27686477-6052-4591-81D4-223397220C4D.jpeg

Thanks @immiketoo, I was a little leery of throwing you out there like that. But, I knew you were the guy with a great amount of experience on the subject. And, you do teach over at learnleather.com. ;)

What a great Popeye! And Whatsizname! From Naruto!

Wow,   Beautiful work.  I can see that you know what you are talking about for sure.  Thank you for the great information.  I will follow your lead and hunt some down.

thanks again,  jeff...

One additional question since we are on the subject after the acrylic dries thoroughly what sealer is recommended.  Super Sheen, Tan Kote, Atom Wax, Spray Leather Sheen?...

Technically, acrylic paint is plastic and doesn’t really need a sealer, however, I like to use RTC by Bee Natural to give the finished piece a consistent sheen.  Acrylic paint and acrylic sealer does the trick.

19 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

Thanks @immiketoo, I was a little leery of throwing you out there like that. But, I knew you were the guy with a great amount of experience on the subject. And, you do teach over at learnleather.com. ;)

Don’t ever worry about that.  I’m here to help where I can.

I have used Golden Artist Acrylics for years and never had a problem. I thin them with water to whatever consistency I want. Most of the time I antique over them. I have a note pad cover I carved and painted about 6 years ago that is carried daily and has gone through the washing machine a couple of times by mistake. It showes no signs of damage.

Tandy's Cova color is WAY over priced and isn't any better than other paints I've tried. Their white and gold were also way too transparent.

:unsure: Confession: I made a suit of black armor and I needed some gold detailing and the Cova color just wouldn't cover the black, running out of time.... so I used a gold oil based sharpie and it worked GREAT.  

I have a friend who used acrylic on some bracelets for Christmas. I'd advised him against it because he was painting the whole thing, and with flexing I was worried the paint would crack and look awful. What we worked out is diluting the paint with water, maybe 1:5 or more, and painting it on like a dye. Then using it 1:2-3 before laying down a final coat nearly full strength. Looked good, flexes well for now, I'm still not sure about long term. 

I like artist acrylics - Not craft paints like Plaid etc. Haven't tried the Angelus, but may when I run out.

Edited by AmyK
formatting

On 12/25/2018 at 9:14 PM, immiketoo said:

Thanks Bikermutt for including me in this convo.  We do a LOT of acrylic on leather and the hype about Angelus is just hype.  Frankly I hate the stuff.  Too thick out of the bottle and when you thin it, the color breaks down so it’s useless.  

We use Golden hi-flow acrylic almost exclusively with the exception of Lumiere for metallics and createx airbrush colors because they’re thin.

thin is the way to go with acrylic because you get the best adhesion to the leather and you can sneak up on your colors as opposed to slopping it on thick.  Golden has the widest array of colors and hues, and are readily available locally in most cases.  I highly recommend them and Createx.

additionally, you can use them with an airbrush right out of the bottle.

here are some examples of golden on leather.

86593503-E83A-4C33-A5A1-971B41DDCF75.jpeg

53C7C89F-3961-46A0-B0D8-C32755AA3892.jpeg

A6B5B07D-86D5-4BC8-B9AA-13D2D4ACCD08.jpeg

F46B80B0-D290-4F9E-BDE8-FCB48AFA1AC1.jpeg

27686477-6052-4591-81D4-223397220C4D.jpeg    https://leatherprofy.com/how-to-print-on-leather/

I want to try painting the back of one of my jackets a nose art design. What sort of paint do you recommend. I was reading a blog where I guy uses acrylic paint you’d use to paint on canvas. Others say you need a leather paint. In the 40s I highly doubt they had special paint for leather. I could and more then likely am wrong on this point but just wondering again what you all would recommend Thanks

Edited by ariannacraig

i use regular good quality artists grade acrylics. 

15 hours ago, ariannacraig said:

I want to try painting the back of one of my jackets a nose art design. What sort of paint do you recommend. I was reading a blog where I guy uses acrylic paint you’d use to paint on canvas. Others say you need a leather paint. In the 40s I highly doubt they had special paint for leather. I could and more then likely am wrong on this point but just wondering again what you all would recommend Thanks

Essentially, all acrylic is the same with the exceptions of the strength of the pigment and the viscosity of the paint out of the bottle/tube.  If you can work with it and it does what you want, it doesn’t matter what brand.  Durability comes from applying the correct thickness(or thinness) of the paint.  Thin paint clan flex, thick paint cracks more easily.  Above I said I’ve found that createx and golden are the easiest to work with, but I’ve had good luck with other mainstream brands as well.  Liquitex in particular is pretty good.